Which Dallas college is the best pick

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

GinaRae in Arlington, Texas

33 months ago

My name is Gina and i just ggraduated in June and am stuck in between which college to go to for Fashion Design, can somebody give me some advice on which school is the most well respected out here. Im looking mainly towards Wade college or the Art Institute or UNT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

DJ -- in Scarborough, Ontario

32 months ago

I was born and raised in Fort Worth, TX and I foolishly waiting until my 2nd degree to go to New York and get a fashion design degree from Parsons. Unless you just want to work for local retailers like JCPenny and Fossil and not major designers (Oscar De La Renta and DVF) --go to a school in Texas. But if you're serious about your fashion design future. You need to go to a fashion capital - New York, London, Paris. for example. The standards are WAY higher! The competition is fierce and the opportunities exceed anything Texas could ever offer. Don't waste your time and money like I did with my first degree--go get what you want while you still have the financial aid available to you.

Kathleen Fasanella in Albuquerque, New Mexico

32 months ago

I disagree DJ. School is only half of it, it is how you apply what you learned.

I went to school in Dallas and I've managed to build an internationally known business. I wrote the most highly rated book in the garment industry and have the most popular site on the internet for clothing manufacturers. Check it out at fashion-incubator.com

I don't regret my Texas schooling for an instant. In fact, I got any job I ever applied for. My employers said they'd hire anyone who went to my school (El Centro) and that east coast grads were too difficult to work with. These days, I'm favoring Canadian grads. Their schools still focus on the technicals. Which is not to say that east coast schools are a waste but it's more for the social aspects (who you meet) than equal parts what you know.

DJ -- in Scarborough, Ontario

32 months ago

Great comment! And Congrats on your success!

My point was just to be aware of what you want out of your fashion career. There are many roads to success, but being around the people who are in the currently in the careers that you want to be in, is VERY IMPORTANT. If you choose to go to school is Texas be sure that you spend the time and effort, to be around the best of the best in the industry. If your best is the designers in the area like Abi Ferrin or Oscar Fierro then you're ok. However, because of what I want in my career, it required a different type of exposure. I needed to see top international designers and absorb all that I can. My education will not end in New York, I will go to Paris, Milan, and London-- because I (like you) plan to have an extraordinary, sustainable fashion design career.

In summary. (1) Know what you want in you career -- what's your ideal job & company? Do you want to work for yourself?

(2) Go to a school that gives you the exposure to people working in the career and at the companies that you want to work at. And that gives you exposure to people who are well known and admired in the industry for their own companies.

It's simple.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.