work in the NYC..

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (48)

Cher Ferroggiaro in San Francisco, California

71 months ago

Best of luck! Feel free to Google Emerging Magazine and drop us a line!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Marina-designer in Seoul, South Korea

70 months ago

hello. ....thanks for comment and question...well, if u have any guestions dont hesitate to ask...u can leave ur email an I'll write you..
Most want to work in NYC why do u want to work i Korea??..))

Marina

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JamieCW in Franklin, Tennessee

70 months ago

Hi Marina,

My name is Jamie and I am interested to know if there are any fashion jobs in Korea as well. My fiance grew up in South Korea and we are moving there after we get married in January. I have a degree in Fashion Design and five years of experience. Any help or advice would be great!
My email is Jcwiese@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Jamie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

WenLi in Singapore, Singapore

69 months ago

Hi Marina
I would like to ask for your advice.
What are the main things to consider if I want to live & work in a foreign country ?
I've emailed applications to several companies but unsuccessful,so must I stay in that country for a short period to look for jobs ?

Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Carlos in New York, New York

69 months ago

Hi Mariana,
Well there are many companies that can benefit from your background and language skills. I would recommend Looking into WWD.com it's an apparel publication ( im sure u prob already know) I had worked for several comapnies and most of them can sponsor you but I think you have to be already in NYC. I'm also interested in moving to Korea and working for some company preferably in the producton/technical design field. Unfortunately Im not well versed in the Korean language but I'm trying very hard. I think that I need to put myself in Korea if I really want to pick up the language and working in my field would greatly help. I'm fluent in spanish and english ( which might help considering Korea does alot of manufacturing with South America.)
Could you advice if there is an apparel publication like WWD that I may look into for employment.

Thankl you for your time.

Carlos
Taiyurshoo@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Marina in Seoul, Korea, Republic of

69 months ago

Dear WenLi..? I'm not an expert i this vut if i can help u I'm always glad.leave ur email..and I'll reply as soon as posible.

best regards
Marina

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

wenli in Singapore, Singapore

69 months ago

Marina in Seoul, Korea, Republic of said: Dear WenLi..? I'm not an expert i this vut if i can help u I'm always glad.leave ur email..and I'll reply as soon as posible.

best regards
Marina

Hi Marina, I would like to chat with you
decforth@googlemail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MIMI in Lakewood, New Jersey

66 months ago

Carlos in New York, New York said: Hi Mariana,
Well there are many companies that can benefit from your background and language skills. I would recommend Looking into WWD.com it's an apparel publication ( im sure u prob already know) I had worked for several comapnies and most of them can sponsor you but I think you have to be already in NYC. I'm also interested in moving to Korea and working for some company preferably in the producton/technical design field. Unfortunately Im not well versed in the Korean language but I'm trying very hard. I think that I need to put myself in Korea if I really want to pick up the language and working in my field would greatly help. I'm fluent in spanish and english ( which might help considering Korea does alot of manufacturing with South America.)
Could you advice if there is an apparel publication like WWD that I may look into for employment.

Thankl you for your time.

Carlos
Taiyurshoo@yahoo.com

hi,

would u maybe know of a seamstress that sews up bridal gowns and suit??? i am looking for one desperately.

please let me know

thank alot
mimi

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jasira S. Jassy in Springfield Gardens, New York

66 months ago

Hi my name is Jasira and I'm in love with fashion design it is my life. It is the best hobby I can imagine to have. I would love to get a job or an intership because it will help me to get more experience in this business. I wish to open my own company and many lines when im older. Please give me a job because i can make a difference in your company and to help you create your charity foundation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

MIMI in Lakewood, New Jersey said: hi,

would u maybe know of a seamstress that sews up bridal gowns and suit??? i am looking for one desperately.

please let me know

thank alot
mimi

Hello Mimi.
Unfortunately I dont know anyone available that I can recommend. Everyone I can trust with such a task is already employed working for factories at the moment.

Sorry.

Best regards,
Carlos

66 months ago

Jasira S. Jassy in Springfield Gardens, New York said: Hi my name is Jasira and I'm in love with fashion design it is my life. It is the best hobby I can imagine to have. I would love to get a job or an intership because it will help me to get more experience in this business. I wish to open my own company and many lines when im older. Please give me a job because i can make a difference in your company and to help you create your charity foundation.

Hello Jasira,

I dont have my own company at the moment. I can only recommend looking into Craigslist.com for Internships or maybe a job. that way you can learn the business and work your way up until you are able to start your own business.

Good luck,

Best regards,
Carlos.

Michelle in Singapore, Singapore

66 months ago

Hi Marina,

I m a designer and pretty keen to know about working in Korea. I have been searching for related information but couldn't get to know much :(
Hope I can get advice from you! Thank you!

Michelle
michelle_tan85@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

hello,
that's funny, I post my comment to find info about work in NYC but everybody ask me to advice about work in Korea..))
well, I have been working here almost 1 year 6 month..
I found the job through www.jobkorea.co.kr..but before had many interviews..))

Kathy, with your background u can try to teach in design institute..if u r interested..)))
to work in Korea is better to know languages..coz u 'll have to communicate with manufacture and fabric suppliers u'll better to understand them..^^
check some stuff in www.jobkorea.co.kr/ www.designerjob.co.kr/...but it's in Korean..

Angela in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

I have worked as an industrial designer in Korea and fashion designer in NYC. Honestly, I don't see any difference, they both have pros and cons. If I knew the working experience in NYC was going to be just as bad or same, I would have stayed in Korea. It's difficult to find a job in a different country unless you are there.

Marina in Seoul, Korea, Republic of

64 months ago

Thanks for the INFO==)) but u know no matter where u r , u r always have to begin from the low if u r not a fameous one yet..))
If you have an e-mail..I'll write you about my experience here..))
Good luck

Kathy....Ineedachange in Miami Beach, Florida

64 months ago

katherinebadillo@gmail.com, looking forward to it!

ellie in New York, New York

63 months ago

Hi Marina,

im actually a merchandiser working in nyc, and im planning to move to korea, i was just wondering if you had any resistant with language...did you find that most employers required for you to read and write korean as well? see, im from korean descent and i speak fluent korean, but my reading and writing is about 3rd grade level ( i know go figure i took the time to learn how to speak but not read and write) so i was wondering if there was any resistant when finding a job over there...

thank you so much for your input, please let me know if you ahve any questions about nyc, ive been in NYC for 10 yrs working only with luxury brands and haute couture, im dying to exchange info with someone that actually works in the fashion industry in korea...i can only find people that teach english in korea and i really would love to exchange ideas and experiences :)
feel free to email me with any questions ellie3007@hotmail.com

Carmin in Jersey City, New Jersey

60 months ago

Hi Marina

I'm a south Korean working in nyc. I know it's really hard to get visa.
Best way is to find a sponser to support you in getting H1 Visa.
Process is pretty easy when you have a company to sponser you. Right now, small companies don't usually sponser foreigners because of economy. Be ready to pay the fee yourself. If not, you will have to find a BIG corporate company to hire you and take care of you. In that case, company will pay the price. I just went to my lawyer yesterday to apply for H1 visa. So if you have any questions, e mail me.

yri.carmine@gmail.com

I hope I can help you...I know how hard it is...

kenneth in Jacksonville, Florida

60 months ago

Marina-designer in Seoul, South Korea said: Hello,my name is Marina and I'm a Fashion designer. I see there are so many talanted and professional people leave comment here so I'm glad I found this site to get close to all.
I'm looking for people who can share the experience in working in NYC. I'm originally from Russian and currently I live and work in South Korea as fashion designer, so it helps me to get experience and be fluent in three languages.
My dream is to be well-known designer, open my charity foundation in the future, and for now to work in NYC and enlarge my vision and skills to be better in what I do. As you know, it's not an easy to get a visa to the USA, so is there someone who can advise me a company to help me with visa, and also tell some interesting facts about working as a designer in the USA.

thank you very much,
appreciate everyone who will reply

I'm open to everyone to talk about design, experiences.....

its best to stay were you are there is no jobs here in the usa becase its hard to get work here its is bad here maybe it will get better good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

lena in Brooklyn, New York

60 months ago

Marina-designer in Seoul, South Korea said: Hello,my name is Marina and I'm a Fashion designer. I see there are so many talanted and professional people leave comment here so I'm glad I found this site to get close to all.
I'm looking for people who can share the experience in working in NYC. I'm originally from Russian and currently I live and work in South Korea as fashion designer, so it helps me to get experience and be fluent in three languages.
My dream is to be well-known designer, open my charity foundation in the future, and for now to work in NYC and enlarge my vision and skills to be better in what I do. As you know, it's not an easy to get a visa to the USA, so is there someone who can advise me a company to help me with visa, and also tell some interesting facts about working as a designer in the USA.

thank you very much,

Privet MARINA!Ia iavleaus toje dizainerom i naxojus v new-yorke esli esti jelanie pogovoriti na etu temu pishi na moi emeil

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

da pojaluista moi email

59 months ago

da pojaluista moi email lindaberg17@yahoo.com

kj

57 months ago

MIMI in Lakewood, New Jersey said: hi,

please let me know

thank alot
mimi

I am actually a fashion designer/seamstress with expertise in gowns and dressmaking. Email me at wychede2@aol.com if you are looking to do business.

Nayla in Dubai, United Arab Emirates

55 months ago

thank you very much,

Hi - we are a new fashion house based in Dubai looking for fashion designer. If interested please forward me your cv on najla.hmn@gmail.com
thank you

native american priestess in New York, New York

55 months ago

Wearing, buying, selling, designing fur = BAD BAD KARMA

Nayla in Dubai, United Arab Emirates

55 months ago

native american priestess in New York, New York said: Wearing, buying, selling, designing fur = BAD BAD KARMA

Very True!

S in Astoria, New York

51 months ago

I have worked in the fashion design field for over 5 years in NY. I think it is very important, if you want to become a fashion designer, you must first learn Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and a a program like Microsoft excel or similar. My experience has been with larger commercial brands, and it will make you all the more employable with a skill set and confident knowledge of fashion. The Adobe software will enable you to create flats, cad's and silhouettes very efficiently to create varying lines to show buyers.
Fashion design is certainly not all as glamorous as some imagine it to be. It's a lot of work and you must be willing to commit to a larger vision which is the company you will ultimately work for. You will work with varying personalities and egos, and it is paramount that you stay true to yourself.
You can design for yourself eventually if you desire. But you must learn firsthand the field, learning it's many aspects, such as sales and production in addition to design. If you want to become more employable in the future, it is essential that you build your fashion vocabulary, research brands, have a strong attention to detail and understanding of color. Learning sewing, , pattern drafting, construction and fit will further your knowledge and abilities enabling you have a good dialogue with your employers and a comprehensive understanding of fashion. Best of luck in your endeavors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Marina Ten in Incheon, Korea, Republic of

51 months ago

Dear S...,
thank you very much,,i really appreciate your comment..
wish u good luck in all..

Joseph Z in New York, New York

49 months ago

ATTN: TECHNICAL DESIGNERS - INTENSIVE TECHNICAL DESIGN COARSE OFFERED

A truly unique opportunity is now available for a few right candidates in NYC

Specialty: Women's Casual & Sportswear - KNITS

Entry & Mid Level Technical Designers & Designers --- ONLY!

This coarse will take place 3 times per week for a duration of 12 weeks. Each coarse will range from 3-4 hours.
Two Midweek Sessions & One Weekend Session

Registration opens June 01, 2011. Limited availability. All candidates must be pre-screened and have a design background.

After three months you will experience a career transformation that will give you the skills and knowledge to go from an entry level technical designer to a SENIOR level.

The unique and proven learning process will open your eyes and allow you to go from 3 fit samples in the Fit Approval Process to just ONE.

This extremely organized, consistent, and advanced curriculum will shine light on all the industry secrets and give you the piece of mind to be confident in every measurement you make.

There is no more guessing and no more stressing. You will be given the knowledge you need to excel in your position and leave your current co-workers behind.

A former FIT professor and industry veteran has constructed this curriculum based on years of advanced technical design experience.

The unique learning format is offered in a small setting with no more than 12-14 students.

Reserve your spot today since space is very limited.

For further information please email: technicaldesigntraining@gmail.com

Cora in Nashville, Tennessee

49 months ago

Can anyone tell me what the starting salary is for an entry level fashion designer in NYC or any other major city? I know the salary will vary from NYC to another major city, but I am interested to know any information you can tell me. Thanks in advance.

Kel in Austell, Georgia

48 months ago

S in Astoria, New York said: I have worked in the fashion design field for over 5 years in NY. I think it is very important, if you want to become a fashion designer, you must first learn Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and a a program like Microsoft excel or similar. My experience has been with larger commercial brands, and it will make you all the more employable with a skill set and confident knowledge of fashion. The Adobe software will enable you to create flats, cad's and silhouettes very efficiently to create varying lines to show buyers.
Fashion design is certainly not all as glamorous as some imagine it to be. It's a lot of work and you must be willing to commit to a larger vision which is the company you will ultimately work for. You will work with varying personalities and egos, and it is paramount that you stay true to yourself.
You can design for yourself eventually if you desire. But you must learn firsthand the field, learning it's many aspects, such as sales and production in addition to design. If you want to become more employable in the future, it is essential that you build your fashion vocabulary, research brands, have a strong attention to detail and understanding of color. Learning sewing, , pattern drafting, construction and fit will further your knowledge and abilities enabling you have a good dialogue with your employers and a comprehensive understanding of fashion. Best of luck in your endeavors.

I'm looking into starting my own line and I'm in search of a skilled, experiencia, and dedicated fashion Designer. Are there any tips you can share in reference to hiring some one. I like what you wrote...are you employed?

Anne

47 months ago

Dear Marina,

Are you still living / and working in South Korea? I am interested in fashion life in South Korea and I would like to talk to you about a few topics concering western fashion companies in south korea.
If you have some time, please give me a short notice under:

schuster.anne@yahoo.de

That would be great!

Hely in Annan, United Kingdom

47 months ago

Hi Marina

I'm doing future career research at the moment (I'm 16) and I have been looking at universities and colleges for fashion.
The problem is that I don't think I want to go to uni, and I was thinking of getting some experience in fashion first.
I really love the culture of Korea and I waas interested in going there for a few years. I would probably have to work whilst visiting and I was wondering if you could give me any fashion placement tips or contacts.
Thanks so much :)

47 months ago

Hely in Annan, United Kingdom said: Hi Marina

I'm doing future career research at the moment (I'm 16) and I have been looking at universities and colleges for fashion.
The problem is that I don't think I want to go to uni, and I was thinking of getting some experience in fashion first.
I really love the culture of Korea and I waas interested in going there for a few years. I would probably have to work whilst visiting and I was wondering if you could give me any fashion placement tips or contacts.
Thanks so much :)

Dear, Hely
can u write me on e-mail or leave yours I'll write you..~and try to help as i can

47 months ago

Anne said: Dear Marina,

Are you still living / and working in South Korea? I am interested in fashion life in South Korea and I would like to talk to you about a few topics concering western fashion companies in south korea.
If you have some time, please give me a short notice under:

schuster.anne@yahoo.de

That would be great!

Dear Anne, I'll try write you soon and help as I can~

Hely in Annan, United Kingdom

47 months ago

Marina-designer in Seoul, South Korea said: Dear, Hely
can u write me on e-mail or leave yours I'll write you..~and try to help as i can

Yes, here it is: hely_belly@live.co.uk
Kamsa hamnida for the quick reply and the help ^_^

kabami

47 months ago

Hi Marina, I'm actually thinking of moving to Korea too... or Hong Kong, I've had offers to teach fashion there but I'm not interested in doing that, I have over 4 years of experience as technical designer and as assistant creative director in an avant-garde American firm, I have a bachelor's in fashion and marketing and an associates in fine arts minoring in English literature. What are some major employers in Korea? I was offered a position at BCBG as associate designer but declined the job because of the pay. I would love some info on the industry in Korea, in exchange I can offer info in the industry here. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

47 months ago

HelLo~nice to meet u..leave me u email and I'd be glad to talk to you
Marina

kabami

47 months ago

Marina-designer in Seoul, South Korea said: HelLo~nice to meet u..leave me u email and I'd be glad to talk to you
Marina

Kabami17@gmail.com, I have gtalk too! With the asamr email

azyaa75

47 months ago

Carlos in New York, New York said: Hello Mimi.
Unfortunately I dont know anyone available that I can recommend. Everyone I can trust with such a task is already employed working for factories at the moment.

Sorry.

Best regards,
Carlos

Hi I'm looking in doing my own line in bridal would be able to lead me to factorys in Korea that do bridal gown production more in ball gowns and corseted gowns with intense beading. Thank you

47 months ago

Hello~...currently, I'm involved in Wedding dress making in Korea

azyaa75

47 months ago

Hi thanx for the quick reply, can u e-mail me the companies name and information on how to reach them or if u can help me that will be great since ur working with them, my email its azyaa75@yahoo.com my name is sena masoud thanx!!

azyaa75

47 months ago

Hi thanx for the quick reply, can u e-mail me the companies name and information on how to reach them or if u can help me that will be great since ur working with them, my email its azyaa75@yahoo.com my name is sena masoud thanx!!

Marina-designer in Seoul, South Korea said: Hello~...currently, I'm involved in Wedding dress making in Korea

jdhanks278 in Charlotte, North Carolina

44 months ago

Carmin in Jersey City, New Jersey said: Hi Marina

I'm a south Korean working in nyc. I know it's really hard to get visa.
Best way is to find a sponser to support you in getting H1 Visa.
Process is pretty easy when you have a company to sponser you. Right now, small companies don't usually sponser foreigners because of economy. Be ready to pay the fee yourself. If not, you will have to find a BIG corporate company to hire you and take care of you. In that case, company will pay the price. I just went to my lawyer yesterday to apply for H1 visa. So if you have any questions, e mail me.

yri.carmine@gmail.com

I hope I can help you...I know how hard it is...

Hello Carmine,

My girlfriend is currently about to graduate from Hannam University in Daejeon, South Korea. She studied fashion and textiles and wishes to become a fashion buyer or anything to get her foot in door for that matter. She desperately wants to move to the US, but is having a very difficult time finding a company to sponsor her. To be honest she nor I even know where to begin. She would be willing to move anywhere in the US. You obviously were successful in relocating, so my question is do you have any advice or know of any companies that she could inquire with? Her resume is quite impressive considering she will be fresh out of college. By the way she is 24 years old.

Joe,

maryam in Yazd, Iran, Islamic Republic of

42 months ago

I am Maryam from Iran. I am a young woman with the talent in designing nice dresses.
I wish you give me the opportunity and the chance to work you as one of your best dress designers! Because I used to design when I was a teenager . And now I am able to design many nice dresses (esp women and children) in a few minutes. I am sure that you will be surprised to see them as many people who saw them and love them. Please help me come there to prove my abilities. If I had enough stock and money , I had a dress producer company with my own designing... . I can turn your company into one of the best in dresses design.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ivan in Zagreb, Croatia

42 months ago

maryam in Yazd, Iran, Islamic Republic of said: I am Maryam from Iran. I am a young woman with the talent in designing nice dresses.
I wish you give me the opportunity and the chance to work you as one of your best dress designers! Because I used to design when I was a teenager . And now I am able to design many nice dresses (esp women and children) in a few minutes. I am sure that you will be surprised to see them as many people who saw them and love them. Please help me come there to prove my abilities. If I had enough stock and money , I had a dress producer company with my own designing... . I can turn your company into one of the best in dresses design.

Hi im very interested in you.I would like to run your business with clothes, so I wonder whether you doing with a shirt, shoes and other fashion accessories. so if you are interested pls contact me

Johnm in Cupertino, California

42 months ago

Find out more about how to be a fashion designer in the USA...New York included

www.careersinfashion.net/fashion-designer/

ladyjane in Seoul, Korea, Republic of

35 months ago

Hi Marina,

I was wondering if you are still here Seoul?

May I ask for your advice on how I can start working in Fashion Companies here in South Korea?

So far, I have been teaching English..

I want to start my career in fashion but I don't have any connections in the fashion world yet.

I am an F4 visa holder so actually any company can hire me if they want to..

I would really appreciate your advice.

Thank you and good luck in New York! ^^

Jane

P.S.
just in case.. here is my email: taranee12@yahoo.com

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.