The best part is...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

What do you enjoy most about field service engineer work? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Reply - Report abuse

Frank in Miami, Florida

87 months ago

I LIKE:

1. Very flexible (a lot of free time)

2. You can schedule with the customers the time that your job will be done...assuming we don't have a system down

3. You travel/drive a lot

4. Good pay

5. Nobody bossing you around

I DISLIKE:

1. Sometimes you have to be oncall...ANYTIME you can be called for service.

2. Sometimes it's difficult dealing with angry customers

3. Systems/Machines sometimes give a lot of problems and you have to deal with the faults

Yes...it is very challenging but a you become more expert in your field...it becomes easier...I work in the Medical Imaging Field...Servicing/Installing X-Ray equipment.

A lot of opportunities to learn...everyday is a different job...that makes it interesting.

Yes, you can escalate...but don't become the FSE's boss <--- it will get you a 9-5 job again.

The new challenges, pay, stable job keeps me at my job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Eli in San Mateo, California

85 months ago

Frank, is that you? You used to work for Lumonomonics?

Frank in Miami, Florida said: I LIKE:

1. Very flexible (a lot of free time)

2. You can schedule with the customers the time that your job will be done...assuming we don't have a system down

3. You travel/drive a lot

4. Good pay

5. Nobody bossing you around

I DISLIKE:

1. Sometimes you have to be oncall...ANYTIME you can be called for service.

2. Sometimes it's difficult dealing with angry customers

3. Systems/Machines sometimes give a lot of problems and you have to deal with the faults

Yes...it is very challenging but a you become more expert in your field...it becomes easier...I work in the Medical Imaging Field...Servicing/Installing X-Ray equipment.

A lot of opportunities to learn...everyday is a different job...that makes it interesting.

Yes, you can escalate...but don't become the FSE's boss <--- it will get you a 9-5 job again.

The new challenges, pay, stable job keeps me at my job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in Leesburg, Virginia

71 months ago

Host said: What do you enjoy most about field service engineer work? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

I've had a LOT of different jobs in my life and in my opinion you cannot possibly get a better job than a field service engineer (unless the job was to be a beer-tasting, bikini judge). I love the freedom you have to set your own schedule. You work from home so you don't have to drive into an office every day. Most of the customers really appreciate you when you come to repair their instrument. And honestly, you really don't work that hard. There's no one watching over your shoulder every day. The pay is good, plus you get a company car. If you get the chance to take a field service job don't pass it up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

mustapha in Dollard-des-ormeaux, Quebec

1 month ago

John in Leesburg, Virginia said: I've had a LOT of different jobs in my life and in my opinion you cannot possibly get a better job than a field service engineer (unless the job was to be a beer -tasting, bikini judge). I love the freedom you have to set your own schedule. You work from home so you don't have to drive into an office every day. Most of the customers really appreciate you when you come to repair their instrument. And honestly, you really don't work that hard. There's no one watching over your shoulder every day. The pay is good, plus you get a company car. If you get the chance to take a field service job don't pass it up.

Hey John,

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me a little bit more about you daily work. So you work from home, what does a FSE do from home? do you review schematics? work on trouble tickets? Also, how often do you have to work over time?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.