Top field service representative skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every field service representative must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your field service representative expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

Tim Ricker in Sacramento, California

93 months ago

1) Self starter- one must be able to set own priorities and follow through.
2) Able to think outside the box- we often find ourselves in situations where solutions must be improvised.
3) Solid technical background.

My opinion is that with many of the skills required for field service, either you have it or you don't.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

shane kilroy in Houston, Texas

73 months ago

Sir
i do have leadership skill to get the job done solid technical backgroud
i frequently asked questions

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

BrokenArrowJoe in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

72 months ago

I have over 30 years in Field Service on Medical Equipment
Since many OEM's have incorporated electronic connectivity, i.e., intranet/internet, we have had to become certified with a minimum of either A= or Network+. Better yet is to be CCNA, MSCE.
The problem I face is unfortunately my age and the specific skills you learn along your career path do become VERY job specific.
I would recomend consistantly updating and expanding your skills with business management and marketing as well.

This has been an excellent career for me with no regrets.

Remember this, if you work for an OEM, original equipment manufacturer, you will be very narrowly focused on that product group, in my case invasive cardiology.

If you have a weak stomach, best not to become involved in an area where you will be going in and out of surgical suites.

A good start is getting a degree in Biomedical Equipment (BMET) as a generalist eventually getting your CBET (certification) and then exploring options in a discipline or OEM where you have a real interest and or talent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.