Accounting vs Financial Analyst

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Matt in Valley Stream, New York

28 months ago

Hello

I have work experience in A/P and A/R and MBA in Finance, I am interested in becoming a Financial Analyst in tech company or consumer goods company. However havent been getting any interviews yet. My question is would it be easier to get staff accountant or accountant job with a firm and request to be moved to financial analyst position as it becomes available? any pointer, criticism, help would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Accountant/Finance Analyst in Chantilly, Virginia

21 months ago

Hey Matt,

Not sure if you have had any luck, but what you asked is exactly how I plan on switching or moving into a financial analyst position. I have four years of accounting under my belt, with a BS in accounting. Companies are now starting to consider me for those positions, but you need to be picky.

Any updates?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Matt in Lynbrook, New York

16 months ago

Accountant/Finance Analyst in Chantilly, Virginia said: Hey Matt,

Not sure if you have had any luck, but what you asked is exactly how I plan on switching or moving into a financial analyst position. I have four years of accounting under my belt, with a BS in accounting. Companies are now starting to consider me for those positions, but you need to be picky.

Any updates?

still looking for the staff accountant position so I can move to an Analyst position... working with recruiters, unfortunately they keep throwing Bookkeeper positions my. have you had any success in gaining employment as a Financial analyst

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Accountant in Falls Church, Virginia

16 months ago

Hey Matt,

Not to much look so far, but I was just recently promoted to senior accountant and getting tasked with financial analysis tasks. Also, I was in the running for a financial manager position as well, but it fell through at the last minute. Have you look for hybrid accounting/finance roles?

Dan

Matt in Lynbrook, New York

16 months ago

I have an interview today as a staff accountant, its mainly an accounting role, there is very little finance if at all. But I hope I get the job, stay for a year or 2. In the meanwhile I figure i learn SQL, sharpen my access skills and learn visual basic. I really hope this is the way to go otherwise I just be wasting my time.
Congrats btw, senior accountant is a good role.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.