Financial Analyst day to day responsibilities

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 57 of 57)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

SFA in Denver, Colorado

40 months ago

Congrats on getting asked in for an interview! It's very difficult to say what you should prep to be assessed for, as "FA" can mean such a wide range of things (accounting w/no actual analysis, budge-variance analysis, M&A and capital modeling, even "stuff" that has little to do with accounting or finance).
I'd suggest brushing up (if you think you need to) on financial statements, ratios, and some tidbits from intermediate and cost accounting. The job description should (hopefully) give you some hints. You might also consider reading up on the company and/or its industry, if such information has been shared with you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

vaibhavi in Enfield, Connecticut

40 months ago

Hello SFA, Thank you for the reply. I don't think they have provided me with any description for the job. Basically it says its a Accounttemps job for the recent graduates a perfect fit. I hope I do well in the assessments + interview. This way it I'll be able to start gaining some experience and put it in my resume. And again thanks for the heads up for what to know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Some Guy in Eugene, Oregon

39 months ago

Bobby in MKE - If you are far enough along in your studies in econ & math and that is what you are going with, look into qualifications for 'quantitative analyst' positions. They are a tougher to find (try Chicago), but I suspect that you will find that these jobs weight math & econ theory over business skill sets for qualifications.

Most FA positions in the corporate environment will stress qualifications in accounting, ERP system knowledge, work experience and likely require a few letters (CPA/MBA). It will be tough to work around the accounting requirements in finding an FA job. Accounting/Econ and pursuing a CPA isn't a bad route to pursue if you are interested in these careers. Public accounting sucks, but provides solid experience to make the jump. Good luck! Go Brewers!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bobby in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

36 months ago

How different is it to work in an FA position at a retail type store (like a Kohls, or a Target) compared to other types of businesses? Is the salary much different? I'm assuming the job duties are a bit different, and perhaps so are the working conditions? I really don't know. Anyone out there that can answer my questions?

Thank you for your time.

Deluth in Woodbridge, Virginia

34 months ago

Hello all,

Everyone here has provided ample information in regards to an FA's day to day grind. I present you a question that has been nagging me recently. I recently accepted a job as a financial analyst working for a govt. contractor company which performs "financial-assistance" to a Department within the federal government.

What kind of role do you think I will play in this job? Budgetary only?

Chad in Saint Paul, Minnesota

30 months ago

I am a recent college grad and have an interview for a Cost Accounting Analyst. My course work did include both a intermediate cost accounting class and an Advanced cost accounting class. I excelled in my coursework and enjoyed the cost side of accounting quite a bit. Just wondering what types of skills they will be looking to see and questions I should be prepared for in my interview.

Any ideas of bookwork I should brush up on would be very helpful.

thanks,

Chad

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

nyc analyst in NYC, New York

12 months ago

Always good/important to brush up on your financial modeling skills. There are a bunch of free course available online. This is the best one I've found: vaircompanies.com/f1f9-free-31-day-financial-modeling-course.jsp

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.