Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

How did you get your start doing financial planner work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Adi2007 in los angeles, California

93 months ago

I am also wondering the same thing. I want to know which financial institutions are the best to work with. From my research I have found that the retention rate of many of the programs is very low. I spoke with a representtive from AXA in California and was told they have about a 40% retention rate. If anyone has any suggestions of how to break into the business and be successful please let me know. I do not have a financial background but have recently completed my MBA and am eager to get started on a challenging and rewarding career.

One thing that I have learned is that you must be very careful when negotiating a salary, some organizations do not pay a salary but will list what they feel you will make in commissions. I believe UBS actually provides a salary with their 3 year program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Scottsdale, Arizona

91 months ago

Adi,

You're right about many of your observations noted in your response. Salaries, compensation structures, training programs and support as well as overall structures of firms vary greatly. It can be a confusing task to know which opportunity is the right one. Frankly, much of one's choice on which firm to join or which opportunity to even pursue has to do with each individual's career and income goals. 18 years in the business as a producer and executive and now my work as an executive recruiter specializing in the series 7 professional arena have taught me a few lessons I'll gladly share.

Feel free to use me as a resource.
dbg19891@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.