Top firefighter skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every firefighter must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your firefighter expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Costa Mesa, California

87 months ago

Determination- Since it going take years until you get the job along with hundreds of hours of training

Self Reliance- Their will be know one to hold your hand finding, getting, and keeping the job.

Willing to Learn- Just hear what older Firefighters have to say, Thay know how to do the job easyer and better and take as many classes as you can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (103) / No (77) Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

84 months ago

Just to reitterate what Steve has previously mentioned....Always be willing to learn...continual education is what sets regular firefighters apart from great firefighters...Jobs will not be handed to you, learn from mistakes on previous civil service tests, and get better, physically and mentally.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (40) Reply - Report abuse

Brittany in Warminster, Pennsylvania

66 months ago

As my Dad has always told me about himself and my mother in the fire service... "I have forgotten more than you currently know."

The 'old timers' know it best. That's just how it is; the best knowledge comes from experience, as well as practice. Jump in with a volunteer company, and get your certs! I'm 16, and that's all the training officer keeps stressing.

Certs.
Certs.
Certs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

LIz in Petaluma, California

32 months ago

Critical thinking and quick decision making

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.