Are firefighter job opportunities growing or declining?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most firefighter opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

Rick in Houston, Texas

91 months ago

Host said: Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most firefighter opportunities?

Too many volunteers in this line of business. The job market is terrible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rick in Houston, Texas

91 months ago

Oh yeah, I didn't give you the statistic facts. 80% of the country is on a volunteer basis, and the day duty crew jobs that are available at volunteer departments are taken by Big City Employees. If you plan on getting in this field your best bet is getting on with a BIG Department or a small Department if you know someone. Don't mean to sound bitter, but just telling it how it is. I graduated number one in my fire academy (class of 58 cadets), and I am still looking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

richardgu in Naples, Florida

65 months ago

Rick in Houston, Texas said: Oh yeah, I didn't give you the statistic facts. 80% of the country is on a volunteer basis, and the day duty crew jobs that are available at volunteer departments are taken by Big City Employees. If you plan on getting in this field your best bet is getting on with a BIG Department or a small Department if you know someone. Don't mean to sound bitter, but just telling it how it is. I graduated number one in my fire academy (class of 58 cadets), and I am still looking.

My son is considering firefighter career........my concern for him will there be work available with the current economy and cutbacks....what do you think??thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

spingding in Chico, California

54 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cody in Westbrook, Maine

44 months ago

Rick in Houston, Texas said: Too many volunteers in this line of business.

There can never be to many volunteers in this line of business. Some towns are to samll for a full time department and all they need is a volunteer fire department.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cody in Westbrook, Maine

44 months ago

Rick in Houston, Texas said: Too many volunteers in this line of business.

There can never be to many volunteers in this line of business. Some towns are to samll for a full time department and all they need is a volunteer fire department.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.