Top fitness instructor skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

What are the top 3 traits or skills every fitness instructor must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your fitness instructor expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

anix in Logan, Utah

83 months ago

You have to be creative, motivated, and intune to your class or clients. My motivation comes from music! I am on the Advisory Board of a new music company Yes! Fitness Music ( and right now you can get FREE shipping! Hooray for something new...and FREE! Simply enter the promo code: FSWEB4W9 Hurry this offer expires Dec. 31 2008!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

holly in Charleston, Illinois

79 months ago

Fitness instructors have to be at once coach and performer. Also, the ability to adapt to the group being taught is essential. Competency with biomechanics, exercise prescription, and special populations also improves the effectiveness of a given professional. I have been teaching for 20 years and write/edit for a large fitness company. Outstanding music is important, but when you instruct YOU are the product. MANIA conventions offer a lot of wonderful continuing education options. Go to to find out more. If you are new and not experienced with choreography, there are pre-scripted options that are learn the release and safety, effectiveness, and soundtrack are built in. Go to for more information about that option.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.