A Day in the Life of a Fleet Manager

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Daniell Harper in Atlanta, Georgia

70 months ago

What is a typical day life for a Fleet Manager?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Daniel in Phoenix, Arizona

67 months ago

My current duties are to maintain the fleet, truck licensing, truck registrations, emission testing, annual inspections, and monthly IFTA reports. I oversee fuel cards, maintain daily inspections, maintain work orders, conduct weekly safety meetings, oversee and schedule repairs. I have to maintain, log, and account for fuel and oil storage tanks. This job entails the opening of work orders, researching parts' availability and costing, issuing of purchase orders, and summarizing work orders. I also have to train, schedule, reprimand, hire, and terminate employees. Dealing with time cards, scheduling vacations, PTO, comp time, sick days, tardiness, and FMLA is almost a full time job in itself. I am responsible for and maintain the parts room inventory. I am also held responsible for shop safety. I have to work closely with employees, HR, accounting, dispatchers, the safety department, and management. I have to comply with DOT, OSHA, EPA, and state laws. I control and account for the keys and the key log. Finally, I am the quality control guy for all repairs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.