Top fraud investigator skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every fraud investigator must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your fraud investigator expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

wharmsr0 in Parkville, Maryland

68 months ago

Been a fraud investigator for over 20 years. The more you know about computers, security posture and efforts and information technology, the higher your demand and the higher your salary. Knowing computer programs and computer infrastructure is key.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

fayers in Dubai, United Arab Emirates

68 months ago

wharmsr0 in Parkville, Maryland said: Been a fraud investigator for over 20 years. The more you know about computers, security posture and efforts and information technology, the higher your demand and the higher your salary. Knowing computer programs and computer infrastructure is key.

Hi, wharmsr0 can you advise any other forums for fraud& forensic investigators please.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Brooklyn, New York

67 months ago

Fraud investigator is too vague a term to say specifically. When I worked in the private sector it was mostly surveillance of people claiming disability. Now that I work for the city, it is mostly interviewing people that may have pertinent information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Old Flat Foot in Gainesville, Virginia

64 months ago

I have also been a fraud examiner for over 20 years, and two things you need to know how to do:

1) Prove the lie,
2) Follow the money.

With respect to proving the lie, that takes good old-fashioned tenacity and learning the subject matter associated with the business you are dealing with. You need to develop a deep understanding of the business process you are looking at so that you will know when the interviewees you deal with are "blowing smoke up your kilt," so to speak.

With respect to following the money, you had better understand financial and accounting records. You need to know how these records show the flow of funds through a company and what is considered an anomaly. You also need to know how to follow money through the banking system. I would suggest a year of Accounting 101 at a college or university as well as learning about the Bank Secrecy Act and the forms required to be filed with the Government as a result of the Act.

There you have it. If you can do steps 1 & 2 well, you will be a good fraud investigator.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.