Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

How did you get your start doing front desk clerk work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Melanie in Washington, District of Columbia

83 months ago

In the hospitality industry, it is really easy to move up with hard work and dedication. It's great to have an education but, you can learn alot on the job.

I would say look at the community colleges that might offer hospitality/hotel management. Or, you can always major in business management and that will help you in your hotel career.

I am new to the hospitality industry but, I've always been in customer service so, that helps. Also, I am now taking hospitality classes. I'll looking to take some online. You can also go to the ahla website and see about taking their online classes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Pel in Portland, Oregon

54 months ago

Not sure if anyone checks this board, but I'm wondering how to get your foot in the door into a hotel.. I've been applying left and right for months and not a single callback. I don't have hotel experience, but I've worked as a server/busser for a few years on and off.. I have a 4-yr degree too, but in a completely different field, one of my life's mistakes. Could this be hindering me?

I'd just love to work in a hotel.. I'd even work for free if I could.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah5 in Orlando, Florida

39 months ago

Pel in Portland, Oregon said: Not sure if anyone checks this board, but I'm wondering how to get your foot in the door into a hotel.. I've been applying left and right for months and not a single callback. I don't have hotel experience, but I've worked as a server/busser for a few years on and off.. I have a 4-yr degree too, but in a completely different field, one of my life's mistakes. Could this be hindering me?

I'd just love to work in a hotel.. I'd even work for free if I could.

Get a job serving where you will be able to meet people in the industry. My advice would be to work at a golf course and network like crazy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.