Getting a front desk receptionist job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

Host

How did you get your start doing front desk receptionist work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Rekinah Briscoe in Laurel, Maryland

87 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing front desk receptionist work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

no,all you need is a high diploma or equivilent to one meaning a ged,go to an library, borrow a receptionist book,it will give you an idea of the duties an

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

MegHoward13 in Highland, Michigan

82 months ago

Are you the same Tina that went to Kimball HS in Royal Oak and lived next door to the Seefelds??
And your age can be a great advantage!. . .I should know! And I beleive you have a birthday coming up next month. - Meg ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

MegHoward13 in Commerce Township, Michigan

82 months ago

Tina Senatore in Brooklyn, New York said: I'm an exprienced receptionist for 8 years. I've been looking now for about 4 months steady for a job, HELP is my age hurting me???? 51

Thank You

Tina Senatore

Are you same Tina Senatore that lived next door to the Seefelds in Royal Oak? And you have a birthday coming up in Jan.? And, of course, your age is NOT hurting you - it is a great advantage!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Khandi Collier in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

74 months ago

I have worked as a medical front desk receptionist and I did have a diploma in administrative medical assistants from a technical school and i am currently looking for a different office. I have applied for the job and attended my second interview for that position and hear that i have one more interview ahead of me and i am awaiting the phone call for that time and date of the last interview will be back to let you know if i got the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

dakota_0803@yahoo.com in Jacksonville, Florida

68 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing front desk receptionist work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

So how did you get started?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dakota_0803@yahoo.com in Jacksonville, Florida

68 months ago

I am trying to get out of waiting on tables all my life.So I have decided to try Receptionist work so how do I get started any advice would be helpful.Please somebody respond.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

reginacastillo86@yahoo.com in La Porte, Texas

63 months ago

I am looking into a receptionist job.I have worked in retail for a yr and a half.I would like to try something different and have a set schedule.I have little expirience in receptionist but i'm a hard worker and i neve give up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sarmishta jineeshkumar in Thrissur, India

59 months ago

I am looking for a receptionist job in Thrissur city.I am a fresh candidate for this job,no experience,but i have confidence,good looking and very friendly to all.If any vacancy in reputed firms or hospitals i wish to work with my effort.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

whaberle in East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania

55 months ago

I would really like to work as a medical receptionist again. But nobody will give me the opportunity even tho I worked as one for 3 months. If I can't get a job as a receptionist in medical. How about a medical records clerk position. I wish someone would give me that opportunity again. I really liked working in the medical office field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

whaberle in East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania

55 months ago

You don't need background in that field. But it would help. If you have a clear and understandable voice. Also if you can take messages really well and accurate it helps. Just remember your manners on the phone. Be very polite and set an example for the company you represent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bea Otch in Ayer, Massachusetts

53 months ago

I trained in the trenches of Walt Disney World where they teach the little stepford people to to be smile robots - spread that Pixie Dust! They tell you that nobody cares about your personal problems, just smile, smile, smile! Oh, and when you speak, you must have a "smile in your voice". Whatever you do, do not point with one finger! Use two fingers or your whole hand in a queenly sort of way. This was no problem as there were many "queens" running around the halls at the mouse house. Also, If you can't answer a guest question your response must be "I don't know, but I will find out." ...and you BETTER find out! All of the above may sound negative, but it's made me what I am today...an underpaid loser with a stupid smile permanently plastered on my face. But I'm good, really good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

johnkuh@msn.com in Draper, Utah

52 months ago

Tina Senatore in Brooklyn, New York said: I'm an exprienced receptionist for 8 years. I've been looking now for about 4 months steady for a job, HELP is my age hurting me???? 51

Thank You

Tina Senatore

It has nothing to do with your age...the market now is saturated with "over qualified" people getting those jobs (why not get the best while they can?); when the market gradually opens up, all of those jobs will be vacant as those "overs" will be going back to what suits them most, and voila! There's your chance...unfortunately is might be a looong while off. In the meanwhile, goto a temp agency and keep those skills up & it will also look better on your resume that you've been trying to work! ;)

johnkuh@msn.com in Draper, Utah

52 months ago

Bea Otch in Ayer, Massachusetts said: I trained in the trenches of Walt Disney World where they teach the little stepford people to to be smile robots - spread that Pixie Dust! They tell you that nobody cares about your personal problems, just smile, smile, smile! Oh, and when you speak, you must have a "smile in your voice". Whatever you do, do not point with one finger! Use two fingers or your whole hand in a queenly sort of way. This was no problem as there were many "queens" running around the halls at the mouse house. Also, If you can't answer a guest question your response must be "I don't know, but I will find out." ...and you BETTER find out! All of the above may sound negative, but it's made me what I am today...an underpaid loser with a stupid smile permanently plastered on my face. But I'm good, really good.

You are too funny, and sadly, true -- I lived outside of Orlando and know several people who worked there -- none too happy about it either except the experience is on their resume!

regina castillo in Houston, Texas

52 months ago

Iv been looking for a receptionist job. I want someone to hire me and train me so I can be a good canadate for there company. I am a single divorce mom of two. Iv been a stay home mom for 11 years. Now I want a good paying job to support my kids. I have my resume out on monster.Com and no ones really contacted me.

52 months ago

Iv been looking for a receptionist job. I want someone to hire me and train me so I can be a good canadate for there company. I am a single divorce mom of two. Iv been a stay home mom for 11 years. Now I want a good paying job to support my kids. I have my resume out on monster.Com and no ones really contacted me.

52 months ago

A P Geofrey in London, United Kingdom

45 months ago

Well if you are looking for receptionist jobs all over the US, then you can check out this website (www.receptionjobs.net). They have all kinds of receptionist jobs postings and all over the country from New York to Texas etc. You can even refine your search by limiting it to your own city of residence to see only jobs posted in your area. Trust me if you need a receptionist right now then it is the place to start. With the amount of jobs posted here I am sure that you will be able to find a job where they will not require a lot of working experience and qualifications.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

MarG in Dallas, Texas

31 months ago

reginacastillo86@yahoo.com in La Porte, Texas said: I am looking into a receptionist job.I have worked in retail for a yr and a half.I would like to try something different and have a set schedule.I have little expirience in receptionist but i'm a hard worker and i neve give up.

I worked at 7 eleven for 2 years and finally got a receptionist job...it's easier if you know word and excel and go through a temp agency...google temp agencies in your area...if you do well on the tests they give you, you don't need experience to get a job..thats how i got started...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.