Why is it so hard to get a receptionist job

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 51)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Darris Thomas in Memphis, Tennessee

81 months ago

I have been loking for a receptionist position for 2 months now, I'm in the Memphis area. I see some people here at the front desk that has no persoality at all.
How do they get the job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Tereeka Bruno in Concord, California

80 months ago

Darris Thomas in Memphis, Tennessee said: I have been loking for a receptionist position for 2 months now, I'm in the Memphis area. I see some people here at the front desk that has no persoality at all.
How do they get the job?

I feel you i'm in california and i've been looking for about 7 1/2 months for receptonist for any thing they ask for expereince, but when you watch people that have thoes type of postion they don't seem to have a clue about anything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Angel in Atlanta, Georgia

80 months ago

Tereeka Bruno in Concord, California said: I feel you i'm in california and i've been looking for about 7 1/2 months for receptonist for any thing they ask for expereince, but when you watch people that have thoes type of postion they don't seem to have a clue about anything.

You guys need to come to Atlanta, Ga.
The job market is booming for receptionist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Paula Longstaff in San Leandro, California

80 months ago

Darris Thomas in Memphis, Tennessee said: I have been loking for a receptionist position for 2 months now, I'm in the Memphis area. I see some people here at the front desk that has no persoality at all.
How do they get the job?

I live in Santa Cruz, California, not San Leandro, but I know exactly what you mean, I haven't been able to find anything in the past 6 months. I have two things that count against me, age and I don't know spanish. I just received my
last unemployment check today and what I'm going to do from now on I have
no idea.
Good Luck with your job hunting!
Paula

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa in Antioch, California

77 months ago

Yikes...for someone who doesn't care, you sure have quite a bit to say.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Sili in Kenai, Alaska

77 months ago

Yes I did! I work in the office I should know so to answer your question yes I can probably use it better than you if you need an example feel free to reply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa in Antioch, California

77 months ago

Well said!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

FRANCIS in Lynn, Massachusetts

77 months ago

WOW!! I CAN'T BEIEVE THIS.......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sili in Anchorage, Alaska

77 months ago

Wow! Who replied to all of my comments? Whoever you all are, I can't even believe how immature you people really are! One thing I have got to say though, is that all of you probably have no life and unemployed. Always replying to my comments a minute I leave one. Yeah the only reason I get some of your replies, is because you guys keep sending me emails! Leave it alone but then again, I'll let you keep doing that because thats your job. And yes I do have a lot to say so when I have time, you'll hear from me again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

Goodgrl34 in Portland, Maine

73 months ago

I too, have been looking for clerical/receptionist work and my skills span over ten years and now they look for degrees in this skill? when did that start? i mean, really, who goes to school to become a administrative or secretarial assistant, that comes from taking classes back in High school when we took typing. Why are employers so picky about degrees when most of us have experience and the ones they do pick to work for them have no experience at all? I too, have been looking for over a year now and its getting quite frustrating. I have been told my typing is very very fast, i have an impressive resume and references, have been told about my great work ethic, so why am i having such a hard time looking for work? Enoughs enough...come on employers, stop being so biased.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

I have been looking for well over a year for receptionist work, i can type way over the 70wpm limit, have great work ethic, an impressive resume...but yet, most employers look for "how many years did you go to school for this," but when you look over my resume, you can plainly see, i've had administrative, clerical experience spanning over ten years since i've been in High School, and yet, they still look for "associates degrees" in this field of secretary, receptionist and Administrative jobs...but why? if its shown on our resumes, regardless of our schooling in these skills, that we have the background experience...so why the degrees needed? i think most employers are becoming too nit-picky...what the focus needs to be on is their experience, not if they went to school...look over the resumes..thoroughly. Come on, is it that hard to browse through better to see what we can do, not what we have not yet accomplished. most people get robbed of doing more if they cannot have that chance to try. give people a chance. seriously, you might surprise yourself...this message is for those looking for clerical/admin's...give those resume's a better look.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Most of the clerical/admin jobs i have found are "work from home" and i'm like...okay, well, do you realize i have been working from home already...and that job was looking for a job...at home. now why would i want to work from home if that is where i've been for the last year, unemployed, laid off...and now you think i want to work from home? come on people...get w/ the program here. Most "work from home" jobs are not legit, they are scams...stop wasting job hunter's time on your ridiculous scams, there is a sucker for every time you post these up...sorry, i'm professional, and not the one. Seriously, i have great work ethic and not falling for the "work from home" bulloney. sorry...take a hint. we are not budging, so why place these ads? they are frustrating. there are serious people who have been laid off from their jobs and actively seeking work...so why do this to innocent people? it's a waste of time...unless you can prove you are legit, don't post your "work from home" ads, they are a hoax, a scam and we are onto you...sorry but its true. Anyone agree w/ me here on this topic? i'm not alone, i am sure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

if the job market is booming for receptionists, then why has it taken me a whole year to find a job in this field of expertise...please tell me this. I live in Maine, (actually thinking of re-locating to a different state), and having trouble finding a job in reception, secretarial, admin-clerical work...where are all the good jobs going? to those with no expertise...isn't that what job training is for? Why not hire someone like me...who knows what they are doing? i've had schooling, actually, no degree but most employers i find are too biased...they are not probing in the right areas, they are going right past good potential employers, i've been turned down and rejected so many times it's unreal...and all i see now is the "work from home" ads, they are a waste of time, they are scams and not legit and tired of seeing them. i've been working from home---by trying to find a job...that is a job, at home...why would i want to continue working from home if that is what i've been doing for the last year since being laid off back in March of 2008, for heaven's sakes, stop putting dumb, not legit, and scamming job postings/ads up...it's frustrating and most of us are serious about our job hunts...anyone agree w/ me on this topic, feel free to reply...seriously. all opinions are welcome.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

sorry so many people are bugging you...i'm new here but i will say that being "unemployed" and "laid off" is not as fun as you think...it's harder now that the economy has been crappy, within the last year or so. I've been fighting for jobs that most people have and they go to work and crab about their jobs, complain and it bugs and frustrates me to no end. I am an adult, who has ten or more years of clerical/administrative and receptionist experience and can type very very fast, (over 70wpm), yet, nobody hires me...or wants me and i'm here...yet most employers look for "does the potential employee have a degree in reception" and i'm like "HELLLLOOO lady/mister...i'm over here," and have had this experience since right out of High School, have typed fast, know data entry, if you saw my resume, you'd be impressed at what i have done. i also have volunteered at SARS, i am a sexual assault response advocate, and about to go for my one last class in the fall at my local university. and needless to say, i have struggled w/ this economy with others too...its not fun. anyone who says, "you are lucky, you got laid off and don't have to work" is nuts...to all those people w/ good paying jobs: "sorry, i don't empathize if you hate your job or have job stress, it could be worse" you could be me...unemployed and laid off, it sucks. nobody gets it. many people think the laid off people are lucky, huh...NOPE. we are not. we are struggling to survive out there and most of us have background education, very good skills, great work ethic and were snowed over by companies worried about their own greed...so if you know of anyone who hates their job, say "it could be worse, you could be one of the millions in america recently laid off with nothing.." there you have it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

You make things sound so easy...try putting yourself in these people's shoes...i am not the one to judge anyone, then again, why would i. i mean. being laid off and unemployed is so much more difficult than people think...if you work, good for you but don't take your job for granted...seriously. i have a lazy relative who never showed up on time, always late, and recently fired from a good paying job..and here i am, a woman who has been known for her good work ethic, laid off and unemployed...i was irritated when this relative wanted my pity and i was like, "what do you expect..you had it all and messed it up for yourself by not showing up, never calling in sick but not showing up and you get fired." well, let me get out that violin, okay" and i said, "nope, i feel no pity for you" and it here i am, with good credentials, and no freaking job...go figure. why do lazy, dumb people get jobs and get to keep them while some get laid off? i'm sorry but this bugs me now. employers take notice, if you have lazy employees, get rid of them...hire someone laid off recently, seriously...stop this madness of hiring lazy, incompetent arrogant jerks...hire people w/ good work ethics and good backgrounds...why jerks? come on...most of them hate the aspect of having a job anyways. hire someone w/ better work ethics.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

I have been unemployed for almost a year now, and let me tell you I am so tired of the following:
1. people complaining of job stress and hating their job: it could be worse people, okay? you could be laid off.
2. Work from home scams, hate these ads. they suck
3. Employers thinking that receptionist with ten years of experience will have a degree in office studies...don't assume anything..if you see they have office skills, give these potential employees the benefit of the doubt..okay? this is no easier for them than it is for you.
There's my opinion...do you agree w/ me? i'm not hating...really. just very very frustrated these days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

I could teach typing and reception for heaven's sakes and secretarial skills, with my eyes closed...seriously, i've done office work since right out of high school, and yet, i'm still laid off/unemployed for almost a whole year now...and needless to say,it sucks...the wrong people are posting jobs, "work from home" scams really need to quit...seriously..give up people. i am tired of seeing "work from home" scam ads online especially on job searching websites...how frustrating. don't these people realize that technically we've been working from home already by job hunting? i mean, come on...seriously, stop scamming. it doesn't look professional. And to top that off, i was called by employment 1, which is an employment agency that makes you pay one hundred and eighty five dollars to search for work, that's also a scam..don't buy into this...job hunting is free, not having to pay money you don't have...how ridiculous is that? i said "no," and the lady snapped and said, "then don't post your resume on job hunting sites" and i was like, "who are you to tell me that, why? just because i am not paying you over a hundred dollars to get a job, get real lady." and she hung up on me. how dumb. what did she think she'd do, pull the wool over my eyes? huh...fooled her didn't i?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

you sound arrogant, like you know it all...sorry but you have no way of knowing what its like to be "laid off," or unemployed, it stinks...so before you say none of us is good and you are better, cut the arrogance, seriously...its wasting your time and many others who may have an opinion. its one thing to state how you feel then another to cut someone's life situation down. never judge someone unless you can walk a mile in their shoes.

Brittany S. in Tampa, Florida

72 months ago

Angel in Atlanta, Georgia said: You guys need to come to Atlanta, Ga.

Where at? I need to get out of Florida! NO JOBS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bellabee

72 months ago

How old are you? It's doesn't sound like anyone knows how to act there age. You all sound like white trash!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Really Now in Saint Louis, Missouri

68 months ago

Sili in Anchorage, Alaska said: You are all lame that's the reason why you can't get a receptionist job, anyone could get this position it depends on how your interview went, everything is judge by that interview, first impression is always a positive not only that but most company are always looking for experienced workers and people with education but a resume always explained exactly who you are and that's how other people get that interview. So for tips next time you look for a receptionist job try to edit you resume and pass your interview!!!!!

This is to Betty Ruggiero while your over there judging their spelling you probably in the same situation they're in and that's your problem Brooklyn. And you need help with your symbols [ what the f is this symbol for I don't even want to know.

Well in my situation, I have 7 years office experience, and I have worked as a receptionist and a switchboard operator. Managed budgets, accounts payable and employee timekeeping are just a few of the things I used to do. I believe I have an impressive resume but it has been difficult to score an interview. I have applied for hotel front desk clerk jobs to be told that I don't have front desk experience. In my opinion, a receptionist is a front desk clerk. I have applied for customer service jobs/reservation clerks where my skills exceeded their expectations, but was told that I did not qualify. I was never given a chance for an interview. I couldn't even get hired at a department store, and I know for a fact that any chowderhead can work at a department store. No skills or brain power are required for that job. Once again I was told my skills were not a match. Now if I can perform data entry, typing, handle budgets,inventory control, acquisitions and employees time, can't I work a cash register. Can't anyone work a cash register. YOU ARE LAME!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Luciano71590 in Dodge City, Kansas

68 months ago

"Wow! Who replied to all of my comments? Whoever you all are, I can't even believe how immature you people really are! One thing I have got to say though, is that all of you probably have no life and unemployed. Always replying to my comments a minute I leave one. Yeah the only reason I get some of your replies, is because you guys keep sending me emails! Leave it alone but then again, I'll let you keep doing that because thats your job. And yes I do have a lot to say so when I have time, you'll hear from me again"

Not only do you fail in putting up a more mature and theoretical argument, but using half-assed explanations only took away your own credibility. All you're doing is humialiting yourself, why are you trying so hard to be the embodiment of judgement? If you're that pissed off about some trivial issue, you're setting yourself up for another counter with each pathetic reply you conjure up. I'm replying to your comment because you DO NOT have the right to judge and insult.

Only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed. You might want to take that into consideration next time you decide to form such ridiculous bias. Au revoir.

skyqueen in Columbus, Ohio

67 months ago

Sili in Kenai, Alaska said: Yeah okay not like I really care about anything any of you thinks I say what I feel and thats freedom of speech so excuse me for being so dramatic but I really don't have time to have so much animosity against you so say what you feel and is good to know that your standing up for a complete stranger whatever don't reply because your wasting your time but then again you probably have nothing better to do!!!!!

You're a mean spiteful person. "Any of you thinks" Check yourself before you check someone else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

CAROBINSON1955@AOL.COM in Fort Myers, Florida

67 months ago

To all those that are looking for work...... I am also. Now is not the time to lash out at one another. We should be trying to lift one another up with a little compassion and encouragement.
I have been unemployed since 2006 and just barely getting by.
I had CANCER in Feb. 2006 with the same thing Farrah died of, but I made a comeback. I had a job for a few months (seasonal) but then broke my ankle. It took 6 months to heal, but still I was looking for work. I could be a very bitter 50 year old female, but that won't get me anywhere. So lets try a little COMPASSION for one another.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Another thing for all who read......... try some volunteer work. It's good for the soul.
I wish you all good luck in your endeavors.

karro50 in West Palm Beach, Florida

67 months ago

CAROBINSON1955@AOL.COM in Fort Myers, Florida said: Another thing for all who read......... try some volunteer work. It's good for the soul.
I wish you all good luck in your endeavors.

Volunteer work is all well and good, but it doesn't pay the bills. I did volunteer work last year while I was still working, but the price of gas went up so much, I had to quit volunteering at that hospital. Too bad, to, I enjoyed it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

karro50 in West Palm Beach, Florida said: Volunteer work is all well and good, but it doesn't pay the bills. I did volunteer work last year while I was still working, but the price of gas went up so much, I had to quit volunteering at that hospital. Too bad, to, I enjoyed it.

If you read my previous comment, then you will know that I am in the same position.
It's very difficult trying to find ANY job. Go on all these different sites only to find that the same jobs are listed over and over again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sandra in San Francisco, California

65 months ago

Angel, what's the going rate there in Atlanta?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

Tereeka Bruno in Concord, California said: I feel you i'm in california and i've been looking for about 7 1/2 months for receptonist for any thing they ask for expereince, but when you watch people that have thoes type of postion they don't seem to have a clue about anything.

yea. I hear ya...i truly do. while they struggle to type a sentence, here you are still trying to fill that position down the street, and still job hunting. go figure. i have had 10+ years of Administrative Experience and Data Entry, etc...and still..Nothing. its sad. I'm about ready to start my own business...if only i could find a way to fund the thing...i would.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

if i had a car, I would. cannot afford one when i'm paying off student loans and no car. If i had a car and money, you betcha I'd be in Georgia in a heart beat. I'd even give money to anyone carpooling for the chance to work in Receptionist/Administrative Support jobs...seriously. i would

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

Sili in Anchorage, Alaska said: You are all lame that's the reason why you can't get a receptionist job, anyone could get this position it depends on how your interview went, everything is judge by that interview, first impression is always a positive not only that but most company are always looking for experienced workers and people with education but a resume always explained exactly who you are and that's how other people get that interview. So for tips next time you look for a receptionist job try to edit you resume and pass your interview!!!!!

This is to Betty Ruggiero while your over there judging their spelling you probably in the same situation they're in and that's your problem Brooklyn. And you need help with your symbols [ what the f is this symbol for I don't even want to know.

well...okay. Been on numerous interviews where i did the following:
1. first, Researched into the company prior to the interview
2. was on time for the interview.
3. no test was needed
4. I was dressed to the nines: nice hair, clean nails, dressed in a pin striped suit, nice shiny shoes, etc.
5. had a portfolio type folder w/ resume, references and my interview questions.
6. sat up straight and listened carefully to interviewer.
7. Answered and gave examples of past work experience.
You tell me the best way to interview? i have taken "mock interviews" seriously and I even dressed up for Mock interviews..and yet...nothing. I was complimented many many times on "MY" resume and it being "impressive" but no job yet. well, i'm about to go to Congress in washington, D.C and talk to Obama's crew..and say "what gives?" and i need to advocate for all "unemployed laid off people," and give congress a piece of my mind and say, "next time, instead of bailing out banks..try bailing out laid off, unemployed U.S citizens and give business that are ailing and give them incentives to hire laid off workers ..." there..i feel better now.

59 months ago

Sili in Anchorage, Alaska said: Wow! Who replied to all of my comments? Whoever you all are, I can't even believe how immature you people really are! One thing I have got to say though, is that all of you probably have no life and unemployed. Always replying to my comments a minute I leave one. Yeah the only reason I get some of your replies, is because you guys keep sending me emails! Leave it alone but then again, I'll let you keep doing that because thats your job. And yes I do have a lot to say so when I have time, you'll hear from me again.

we have every right to speak how we feel...what give you the right to critize our situation. One day, I'd love something sadly unpredictable to transpire in your life..then that, my friend is when you will come to realize what it feels like to have a rug taken out from under you. its scary to have felt like someone punched you in the gut when an employer says, "you were loyal to our company and you are a hard working with a strong work ethic...however, we feel this is the last week for you" and sad as it is, stop judging us...what did we ever do to you? aside from stating our feelings and opinions. if anyone has that right to state how we feel, our angst and tiresome days of job hunting...its "US, Laid off workers and job hunters" that deserve to "gripe all we want"...so there...

59 months ago

CAROBINSON1955@AOL.COM in Fort Myers, Florida said: To all those that are looking for work...... I am also. Now is not the time to lash out at one another. We should be trying to lift one another up with a little compassion and encouragement.
I have been unemployed since 2006 and just barely getting by.
I had CANCER in Feb. 2006 with the same thing Farrah died of, but I made a comeback. I had a job for a few months (seasonal) but then broke my ankle. It took 6 months to heal, but still I was looking for work. I could be a very bitter 50 year old female, but that won't get me anywhere. So lets try a little COMPASSION for one another.

you are soo right on! you are right. I love cheering others on and empowering them but then people come on here and critize and lash out at "us unemployed people" who are laid off to no fault of our own...and they say we are "lame?" seriousy..that's adding insult to injury. haven't we suffered enough?

Ms. Chea in Sterling, Virginia

59 months ago

How do they get the job?

Good Morning,
I live in Maryland, I am also on the market for a Receptionist Position. After being laid off over 2 years ago I have not found a position yet. I hold an AA Degree, with years of experience. All of my interviews have been good ones. After I had been told that the positions were filled by another canidate, I began to question myself WHY AM I BEING PASSED BY? I was asked why haven't I worked within the last two years. Some employers/ H.R. personnel don't understand that it is hard out here. I could have been a new mother who wanted to stay home to raise my newborn for 2 years, or I could have moved out of the area to attend a sick parent. They don't care and they don't understand. Yes most offices that have receptionist are not helpful, nor are they professional. I really want to work,part-time any time. I have come to the realization that it is not what you know anymore it is who you know. Instead of taking Business Management, I need to return to school and take spanish as a second language. Every where I interview there are hispanics interviewing me or they are working the front desk. Half of them cannot communicate with the average person, nor do they understand or speak clearly over the telephone. I think you get my point. I am not being racist, but something is really wrong with this picture.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jaime in Chicago, Illinois

55 months ago

I've been looking for a Receptionist job for awhile now and it's hard for me since I don't have experience working in an office, but I am trying to get my foot in the door. I know how to use Microsoft Word and Excel and I took some college courses to learn how to do documents and reports, but I'm still having a hard time finding a job. It's frustrating and discouraging. I also don't understand how some companys are looking for someone with a Bachlors Degree to work as a Receptionist, it makes no sense if you have the skills and knowledge to work in an office.
I've been calling local Employment Agencies to help me get my foot in the door, but I was told they're running slow and I probably won't hear back from them within two weeks. I hope to find something soon because being unemployed sucks. I feel bad for those who were unemployed for years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Seeking in Stone Mountain, Georgia

53 months ago

Sorry I have to disagree. I've been in Atlanta for 6 years and I've been looking for a receptionist position since 2005. Here in Atlanta it is who you know and not what you now.

Cris in Boston, Massachusetts

52 months ago

I have just moved to the Boston area a few weeks ago, and I have never had a problem finding a job. However, this time around, it is different. I have 11 years administrative and 14 years Collections experience and have applied for tons of jobs and am basically getting zero response. It is extremely frustrating. Good luck to all those that are looking.

katia in Tacoma, Washington

49 months ago

How do they get the job?

i looked for over two years and after 5training in this hospitality industry i am still searching

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Jaime in Chicago, Illinois said: I've been looking for a Receptionist job for awhile now and it's hard for me since I don't have experience working in an office, but I am trying to get my foot in the door. I know how to use Microsoft Word and Excel and I took some college courses to learn how to do documents and reports, but I'm still having a hard time finding a job. It's frustrating and discouraging. I also don't understand how some companys are looking for someone with a Bachlors Degree to work as a Receptionist, it makes no sense if you have the skills and knowledge to work in an office.
I've been calling local Employment Agencies to help me get my foot in the door, but I was told they're running slow and I probably won't hear back from them within two weeks. I hope to find something soon because being unemployed sucks. I feel bad for those who were unemployed for years.

I understand the feeling! I have never had at least a chance to try something new than i wanted to do and i am tired of searching and searching but i am willing to redirect my choice into something else and then go from there... is my best advise" if you have a skills in computers and have one at home try " mystery shopper" it come pretty handy when noone is hiring you a others one is staff event they pay really good and they like someone with good communication skills, other wise try to trade service with a small company like " mail assistant" anywho there alway's craigslist under" part-time" there's a lots of temporary jobs who hire very quick!

49 months ago

Goodgrl34 in Portland, Maine said: we have every right to speak how we feel...what give you the right to critize our situation. One day, I'd love something sadly unpredictable to transpire in your life..then that, my friend is when you will come to realize what it feels like to have a rug taken out from under you. its scary to have felt like someone punched you in the gut when an employer says, "you were loyal to our company and you are a hard working with a strong work ethic...however, we feel this is the last week for you" and sad as it is, stop judging us...what did we ever do to you? aside from stating our feelings and opinions. if anyone has that right to state how we feel, our angst and tiresome days of job hunting...its "US, Laid off workers and job hunters" that deserve to "gripe all we want"...so there...

yes man~!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shankista in Dallas, Texas

41 months ago

Im in Plano and I know some of the rudest people that have jobs..

Julila in Libertyville, Illinois

34 months ago

They are out there. You have to keep up with your computer skills, have a solid background, some college, no gaps between jobs, look sharp as a tack, there is a lot of competion out there. always look very professional and smile. Hey, that's me! It is hard to find a co. that wants mostly switchboard, greeting and light typing. They want a degree in most cases and excellent computer skills! I was spoiled for 10yrs greeting, lite tpng. phones. I am waiting on 2 call backs from large co's that need just that. Good luck to me and you. I have found these jobs on my own (about 4) and for the past 2 years since I left the 10 yr tenure have not been happy with the fit. I will not give up though, I will know when I've found were I belong and will stay again for another 10 yrs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

marleakarns in Independence, Iowa

23 months ago

How do they get the job?

I also looking for a office assistant job. I have course credit, but no diploma. I know all I need to do this job, just cant find the one person to give me that chance. I know Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Emailing...I have good over the phone commucation, i have multi-phone line experience.

Jennifer in Kirkland, Washington

17 months ago

I understand completly, I have been a contractor for almost a year, I finally get the chance to apply to the position. I met all the minimal requiremnets they asked ( HS Graduate ) The hiring manager desides to go with someone with a 4 year degree, eventhough I've been doing the job and everything that was asked of me. How is that fair? Also, is someone with a 4 year degree going to be satisfied with sitting at the front desk? They aren't going to like just sitting there not doing much. They can't leave their desk here.

backagainstthewall in Illinois

14 months ago

Do you have to have a lot of Office software experience/knowledge to do this job?

roslyn14 in Roslyn Heights, New York

11 months ago

Ms. Chea in Sterling, Virginia said: Good Morning,
I live in Maryland, I am also on the market for a Receptionist Position. After being laid off over 2 years ago I have not found a position yet. I hold an AA Degree, with years of experience. All of my interviews have been good ones. After I had been told that the positions were filled by another canidate, I began to question myself WHY AM I BEING PASSED BY? I was asked why haven't I worked within the last two years. Some employers/ H.R. personnel don't understand that it is hard out here. I could have been a new mother who wanted to stay home to raise my newborn for 2 years, or I could have moved out of the area to attend a sick parent. They don't care and they don't understand. Yes most offices that have receptionist are not helpful, nor are they professional. I really want to work,part-time any time. I have come to the realization that it is not what you know anymore it is who you know. Instead of taking Business Management, I need to return to school and take spanish as a second language. Every where I interview there are hispanics interviewing me or they are working the front desk. Half of them cannot communicate with the average person, nor do they understand or speak clearly over the telephone. I think you get my point. I am not being racist, but something is really wrong with this picture.

Hi,
I am in the same position as all of you. Unfortunately employees terminate your employment for many stupid and illegal reasons.
1)Your age. Wake up America. Any position you hold if you reach 45, you are on top list.
2)worked for many years, your salary is higher than new employees.
3)No matter what field you are, you are always replaceable.
4)You are over qualified means, you are old and pricey for us.
5)They don't care about your punctuality, work ethics. caring and committed.
6)Now they list one new requirement..MUST SPEAK FLUENT SPANISH...really?

Kai in Brooklyn, New York

4 months ago

Goodgrl34 in Portland, Maine said: I too, have been looking for clerical /receptionist work and my skills span over ten years and now they look for degrees in this skill? when did that start? i mean, really, who goes to school to become a administrative or secretarial assistant , that comes from taking classes back in High school when we took typing. Why are employers so picky about degrees when most of us have experience and the ones they do pick to work for them have no experience at all? I too, have been looking for over a year now and its getting quite frustrating. I have been told my typing is very very fast, i have an impressive resume and references, have been told about my great work ethic, so why am i having such a hard time looking for work? Enoughs enough...come on employers, stop being so biased.

I agree with totally. I have Front Desk Receptionist experience well over 10 yrs, and have been experiencing such difficulty landing a permanent or even temp to perm position! I have a BA degree but worked as a Receptionist for years before I got one without a problem. All of a sudden I'm noticing all of these ads for receptionist and Administrative Asst positions that require a BA degree. Why is that necessary to fulfill the obligations of the Receptionist job description!I'm still hopeful but I have been seriously considering accepting a marketing /sales position , because at least they are more open to giving you an opportunity..even offering additional training if necessary! I have also been looking into Civil Service jobs where I can earn a decent salary with benefits and have some level of job security.Corporate isn't looking too good! these days as far as stability goes.It also doesn't help that I have been out for work for some time so do have a slight gap in employment, but my skills are still my skills.

4 months ago

Goodgrl34 in Portland, Maine said: I have been unemployed for almost a year now, and let me tell you I am so tired of the following:
1. people complaining of job stress and hating their job: it could be worse people, okay? you could be laid off.
2. Work from home scams, hate these ads. they suck
3. Employers thinking that receptionist with ten years of experience will have a degree in office studies...don't assume anything..if you see they have office skills, give these potential employees the benefit of the doubt..okay? this is no easier for them than it is for you.
There's my opinion...do you agree w/ me? i'm not hating...really. just very very frustrated these days.

I agree and can relate totally.I'm sorry that many of us are going through this and hope that we all get employment in the near future. It is comforting to at least know I'm not alone.

4 months ago

Goodgrl34 in Portland, Maine said: you sound arrogant, like you know it all...sorry but you have no way of knowing what its like to be "laid off," or unemployed, it stinks...so before you say none of us is good and you are better, cut the arrogance, seriously...its wasting your time and many others who may have an opinion. its one thing to state how you feel then another to cut someone's life situation down. never judge someone unless you can walk a mile in their shoes.

When/if they lose their job security they will understand what we are going through!

4 months ago

Ms. Chea in Sterling, Virginia said: Good Morning,

I feel your pain and agree. I wouldn't say that all Hispanics are incapable of communicating but there does seem to be more of a demand for bilingual Receptionist than just English speaking ones.I too believe that it comes down to networking and making contact with right person who can at very least land you an opportunity to interview for a position. I have been out of work for a few years and would love to work again in the bear future.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.