staffing companies and employers

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

alex in Palm Harbor, Florida

70 months ago

How about these companies that call you up and set you up a interview, so you take your time to prepare and show up for the meeting, and these companies cannot even give you the common courtesy to call you back and close the process. They just leave you hang! "How professional is that?"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

alex in Palm Harbor, Florida

70 months ago

Just remember all you employers and staffers out there. You may get away with it now, but this economy will turn around again and folks, make sure you remember these types of companies that do not respect you. We wouldnt be seeking work if we were not dedicated, its all in how the employers treat you! Work and apply at only the rated upstanding companies. Nothing worst than being stuck in a bad job with a bad company. Raymond James is a good company, they will send you a post card for your time! Just because one employee doesnt have all the bells and whistles, doesnt mean the one you hired is going to be ideal either. People just keep applying for the jobs you desire and you will get one. Just make sure you scrutinize the company also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

paphenson in Houston, Texas

64 months ago

I have had the same experience with staffing company's. It is my theory that they have to have a certain number of people come in to interview for the position, even if they have already met and know who they plan to hire. I myself, am a mom, so everytime I go in for an interview I am left paying a sitter for that hour or more. I have never been hired threw a staffing company but have applied through many, and have NEVER recieved a call in return, I was only told after I myself called. If I am ever a recruiter for that type of company, I will make it my job to return phone calls as soon as the position is filled, whether I am required to or not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

experiencedadministrator1 in Houston, Texas

64 months ago

I hate staffing companies! I have been applying through staffing company for a month now. They will not return your phone call or reply to your email. I contacted a certain staffing company and talked to this lady, she seemed really nice and helpful. She told me she had a job opening and to send her my resume. So I did and got a reply back saying to contact their office to schedule an interview. I called, emailed, called, and called, and called...then yesterday I blocked my number when I called (figuring they have caller ID)and I must of caught her off guard. I stated who I was and reminded her of our conversation and she says, "Oh yea, you left me several messages and an email" ....I am sitting there thinking "are you serious? you received my messages and was not going to call me back?"
Staffing agencies are full of ditzy people who do not care because after all lets not forget that they DO have jobs. They probably have so much on their minds like picking up johnny from soccer, going with the girls to lunch, etc...

I totally agree with Alex in FL...to all of you employers and staffing companies...when this recession is over and the job markets are booming...the tables will turn when you treat people like crap....staffing agencies cannot function without employees and employers dido....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

sjs-sd in Vista, California

63 months ago

experiencedadministrator1 in Houston, Texas said: I hate staffing companies! I have been applying through staffing company for a month now. They will not return your phone call or reply to your email. I contacted a certain staffing company and talked to this lady, she seemed really nice and helpful. She told me she had a job opening and to send her my resume. So I did and got a reply back saying to contact their office to schedule an interview. I called, emailed, called, and called, and called...then yesterday I blocked my number when I called (figuring they have caller ID)and I must of caught her off guard. I stated who I was and reminded her of our conversation and she says, "Oh yea, you left me several messages and an email" ....I am sitting there thinking "are you serious? you received my messages and was not going to call me back?"
Staffing agencies are full of ditzy people who do not care because after all lets not forget that they DO have jobs. They probably have so much on their minds like picking up johnny from soccer, going with the girls to lunch, etc...

I totally agree with Alex in FL...to all of you employers and staffing companies...when this recession is over and the job markets are booming...the tables will turn when you treat people like crap....staffing agencies cannot function without employees and employers dido....

Hi I am also having a problem with one of the staffing companies I have signed up with. I now wish they would not have called me at all since now they reported me to the EDD stating that I refused an interview with a company I had already been working for (temp only) twice. They said that the company wanted to interview others after stating they liked me and brought me back again. I was confused asked questions without any real answeres and believed they wanted to interview new candidates only why would they need to speak to me again. I now have no income until this is settled and have to wait till 9/11.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

If any one knows who I could speak to about this please let me know. From my research if I am found at fault I have to pay back the monies I received from the time I was asked about the job Temp only again plus 30% penalty and cannot claim up to 23 weeks I believe is the longest time to wait. I am so up set and angry at what they are trying to do. EDD saying if you need more time for advise from a representative and to get witnesses contact them. I find this disturbing since I do not know who would be a rep. and have no witnesses since I was alone at home. I have been looking since January and feel being older is taking its toll. I am completly self supporting and have no one to turn to. Any advise would be very helpful. The only good staff company I worked for was Accountants Inc. Seem to still be the best and professional.

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

63 months ago

that I refused an interview with a company I had already been working for (temp only) twice. They said that the company wanted to interview others after stating they liked me and brought me back again.

SJS: Get on your Word, start a document. Make it as detailed as possible. This doesn't even make any sense. If you had already been temping for them, and twice, then would they do a formal interview. While at X firm my supervisor was X, and we spoke about a possible position. (give details). I was already at X firm, neither the temp agency or the Supervisor requested a formal interview.

You do this right and you shouldn't have a problem.

Be as detailed as you can - go date to date, time to time, and who you spoke to and what was said. Explain in your document: (1) On X date I worked at X firm for X weeks. My supervisor was. (2) On X date I worked at X firm a second time as a temp. My supervisor was X. X staffing firm advised me (Julie or X) that firm was interested in hiring me full time, however, they also wanted to interview other candidates as part of their hiring process.

63 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: that I refused an interview with a company I had already been working for (temp only) twice. They said that the company wanted to interview others after stating they liked me and brought me back again.

SJS: Get on your Word, start a document. Make it as detailed as possible. This doesn't even make any sense. If you had already been temping for them, and twice, then would they do a formal interview. While at X firm my supervisor was X, and we spoke about a possible position. (give details). I was already at X firm, neither the temp agency or the Supervisor requested a formal interview.

You do this right and you shouldn't have a problem.

Be as detailed as you can - go date to date, time to time, and who you spoke to and what was said. Explain in your document: (1) On X date I worked at X firm for X weeks. My supervisor was. (2) On X date I worked at X firm a second time as a temp. My supervisor was X. X staffing firm advised me (Julie or X) that firm was interested in hiring me full time, however, they also wanted to interview other candidates as part of their hiring process.

Thank you Mary, they were still only hiring for 4-6 weeks as a temp. I asked several questions about the position and explained that the location and work area was very hard to work at and wanted to see if they would check and see where is would be working and if it was there again if the company would adjust the work station and give me a workable mouse and keyboard. He staff person never responded to my request even after several time of me asking. I think I made him mad since I needed to work were I wasn
't in pain by the end of the day. before the work was 4 days only.
Do you know how the phone interview is conducted with EDD? I spoke to a another person at staff co. and she agreed there must have been a misunderstanding but said corp. back east is now in charge and they cannot do anything about it. Said I would need to appeal

David Stokes in Fort Worth, Texas

63 months ago

paphenson in Houston, Texas said: I have had the same experience with staffing company's. It is my theory that they have to have a certain number of people come in to interview for the position, even if they have already met and know who they plan to hire. I myself, am a mom, so everytime I go in for an interview I am left paying a sitter for that hour or more. I have never been hired threw a staffing company but have applied through many, and have NEVER recieved a call in return, I was only told after I myself called. If I am ever a recruiter for that type of company, I will make it my job to return phone calls as soon as the position is filled, whether I am required to or not.

I stay in Texas as well in the Fort Worth area and I believe these staffing agencies are full of it and very misleading. I understand that not everyone will be picked for the job they apply for, but the way these agencies work is HIGHLY QUESTIONABLE. How can they call you and tell you they have positions you may be qualified for then waste your time by bringing you in their office. I understand they have to do some checks and verifications, but they should be able to complete that immediately. Then when you speak to the recruiter they want to know how much you are willing to work for even though they post the salary range on the job ad. Bottom line is I prefer to apply for positions with the actual companies instead of the agencies cause I am eager to find work in my field and I dont have the time or patience to be used as a statistic or number, waste gas, or iron a nice business casual outfit for nothing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

experiencedadministrator1 in Houston, Texas

63 months ago

I already knew that staffing agencies skim a few dollars off the top of your salary while you are contracted through them. One thing I did find out is that when you send your resume to the agency, they forward it to the employer AND erase your contact information so the employer has to go through the agency. I am going to an interview Mon. and I asked during my application interview what kind of industry it was and they wouldn t even tell me that. These staffing companies are really trying to hold their own because everyone knows that you make more when you work direct rather than for the agency. They have to get their cut too! My advice is when you do go for your placement interviews that the agency sends you to, take a copy of your resume with your contact info, and they will possibly hire you direct since you have not actually been on their clock yet. Most agencies tell you that there is no need to take your resume with you because they already sent it over, but an extra copy will provide them with your direct contact and it looks professional. What could it hurt? Good Luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dallas area in Frisco, Texas

63 months ago

I now wish they would not have called me at all since now they reported me to the EDD stating that I refused an interview with a company I had already been working for (temp only) twice.

To Visa in CA: I have heard of this happening, oh -that' right - it happened to me. An agency stating I turned down an assignment due to the amount they wanted to pay me (which I did turn down) The agency reported me (due to the fact that I opened a claim through their agency - since I was working for the agency for close to three months) so they really wanted to stick it to me. I appealed it and won through UI. I figured they were going after me due to the fact that I opened a claim through their agency and they just wanted to try and stop payments, etc. if they could.
Just keep your appointment with the UI appeals office. They have a good idea how these agencies work - You arean't the first case they have seen with this issue. I wish you luck!

63 months ago

Thank you for your support. I am worried still, I told them I was
collecting from my prior job which I was laid off from. I had worked twice with the company they were asking me to go back to but said they wanted to interview others. I asked why and was never told. The agent says I refused an interview. I was never told that they would want to interview me since I had already been there. I did request to know where I would be since the station I was at was so uncomfortable and would need adjusting. How do they decide who to believe? I told them I had 2 doctors appts. so they would know in advance and he made it sound as though I didn't want it. Not true I support myself, with no money until this is cleared up I do not understand how they can do this. I do not do well in front of Judges based on my divorce experience I cannot see myself being able to stand up for myself very well. This is so unfair.

Dallasarea in dallas, Texas

63 months ago

To Vista in CA: I know this is just an aweful situation to be in and in waiting for the case to be heard and of course money to come in. Now, you stated you opened your claim w/UI with another company - not the agency involved in the appeal case right? If that is the case, which I think it may be as to what I read on your post, this agency is simply playing god! that makes me want to spit in their face :) remember that the UI appeal wants to hear exactally what happened on your side (they are for the most part on your side believe it or not) this isn't their first appeal in a situation like this. Prove you did have Dr.'s appointment as in when you paid for services at the dr'.s office, etc. Call your doctors that you had an appointment with and get it on paper (is what I would do to prove I did show up for the appointment. Don't know what this agency would want to give you such a hard time with your UI payments/Benefits when you stated you didn't even open your claim through them. That's really playing mean here! Who do they think they are? Wow... I still think if you get documentation in writing regardng your appointments that will help you. And, do not be nervous in the appeal appointment, I really think they are on your side (at least to hear your full story). Apparently this agency has a lot of time on their hands to give you such a hard time. There is the possibility that they will not show up - which you probably know you would automatically win the case. Go to the legal forum on craigslist and see what they might suggest or say in response to your situation (I would) just keep it simple and to the point. they are a little gruff, so spell check your request and have it thought out (your wording that is). Good luck! Keep me posted.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.