B.S. Geology: What To Do Now?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Charlie in Holbrook, New York

67 months ago

I earned a B.S. in Geology (Engineering concentration) in 2008 and was recently employed by an environmental consulting firm. I lasted all of two days. Between the amount of travel, and the nature of the work, I became immediately aware that I was going to be miserable at the job. As far as the work I had to do was concerned, it involved removing oil from a groundwater monitoring well by manually squeezing "socks" and bailing.

The entire situation was very disconcerting to me and I think I may now be turned off entirely to all forms of field work, which would clearly put me at a strong disadvantage as far as prospective jobs are concerned. What I do know is that I never want to be covered in used oil after a day of work again for as long as I'm alive.

I am contemplating going back to school as soon as possible to earn a Masters degree and to obtain a better grasp on what I would want as a future 'target' job. Having also earned a B.A. in Economics, my interests are varied.

From this post I hope to obtain a little insight as to what avenues I might look into that might appeal to me. I feel as though I am more interested in the socio-economic implications of geological related work than the actual geotechnical work itself.

Thanks for reading. I will appreciate any and all advice anyone may have to offer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Heather in Minot, North Dakota

65 months ago

Check out a company called Fugro. They have offices all over the world, no field work involved, but still associated with the world of oil... I interviewed for a job with them about a month ago. I was really impressed with the whole company and thew wide range of work that they do. I was offered the job, but did not take it, due to the location, but definitely check out their website, I spent 2 days with them, and I can vouch that they are really great people, and a great company. The pay and benefits package they offered me was excellent, and everyone there was really happy. Definitely check out their listings, if you are still looking.
Best of Luck!
Heather

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

old geologist in Clute, Texas

43 months ago

Charlie, don't feel too bad about that. A lot of us were shocked about the working conditions when we first went to work for an environmental consulting company. I share your experience bailing wells and I lasted six months before I had enough of the low pay and physical work bailing wells and filling barrels with dirt with a shovel. The boss kept calling me and asking when I would be finished with that site and could go to the next one. I spent three weeks there, bailing to remove product and filling barrels with contaminated dirt from my hand dug recovery trench when I was not bailing used motor oil from one monitoring well. It was not my project, but belonged to one lady who had a thing going on with the boss, so I ended up going to that gas station to do the dirty work. That was a theme around that now defunct company whichwas often repeated. It seems the local population thought it was a good thing to pour used motor oil down the hole into the monitoring well. They would beat the top cover off and break up the grout/cement so they could pull the entire well out of the ground. I was surprised to come to work after a weekend to find someone had put the pipe back in the hole for once. My brilliant boss did not want to tell the client and expected me to stay there and catch who was dumping oil at that site, which I did witness the culprit dispose of used motor oil one night and I got the crap beat out of me for my efforts. My boss would not stop calling me every hour to laugh at me and make fun of me, so I think he had a problem with another male being in the all female office staff he hired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Richie in Vancouver, British Columbia

41 months ago

Environmental Consulting sucks. Nothing more to say.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

maficmagma in Houston, Texas

30 months ago

Fugro sucks. I don't know why anyone would recommend them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mad Max in Rocky Point, New York

29 months ago

Charlie in Holbrook, New York said: I earned a B.S. in Geology (Engineering concentration) in 2008 and was recently employed by an environmental consulting firm. I lasted all of two days. Between the amount of travel, and the nature of the work, I became immediately aware that I was going to be miserable at the job. As far as the work I had to do was concerned, it involved removing oil from a groundwater monitoring well by manually squeezing "socks" and bailing.

The entire situation was very disconcerting to me and I think I may now be turned off entirely to all forms of field work, which would clearly put me at a strong disadvantage as far as prospective jobs are concerned. What I do know is that I never want to be covered in used oil after a day of work again for as long as I'm alive.

I am contemplating going back to school as soon as possible to earn a Masters degree and to obtain a better grasp on what I would want as a future 'target' job. Having also earned a B.A. in Economics, my interests are varied.

From this post I hope to obtain a little insight as to what avenues I might look into that might appeal to me. I feel as though I am more interested in the socio-economic implications of geological related work than the actual geotechnical work itself.

Thanks for reading. I will appreciate any and all advice anyone may have to offer.

I will say that you may look into county work. Suffolk County has sanitarians that go out and sample ground water. Basically all you do is drive around and collect ground water from monitoring wells. Then you can move up to a hydrogeologist where you are in charge of where to drill and actually look at underground plumes and determine where they are moving and future concentrations. Also you are more of a liason between the county and different civic groups or even companies. Just a BS is required for the sanitarian and a masters in hydrogeology for the hydro position.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.