Tips for guidance counselor interviews.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming guidance counselor interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Reply - Report abuse

kayla behnke in Brillion, Wisconsin

83 months ago

Thanks for letting me use this site and I will help people with there problems.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (56) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

BEV WILLIAMS in Kingston, Jamaica

80 months ago

What practical experiences have you had that make you fee; capable of being a counselor

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (68) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

KATE in Harwich, Massachusetts

79 months ago

Host said: Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming guidance counselor interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Here are a few things off the top of my head (I have 10 yrs experience)

1.How would you deal with a difficult parent? (Always let them know you hear them; listen; diffuse; set goal;)
2. How do you balance meeting the needs of staff, administration, parents and students? (By being a good mediator and also by putting the students best interest (safety) first.
3.What makes you a good leader? (listening skills, goal-oriented, task oriented, love a challenge, willingness to listen to others ideas, not alienating staff or parents)
4. How can you help our school climate be more positive? (By role-modeling positive, friendly behavior (always address anyone visiting school as if they are a visitor in your home), be visible, know your students, talk to teachers face/face instead of email and/or notes when possible.
5.Do you have experience with behavior modification plans? (you can google this and find many)
6. What is a 504 Plan? (google this; this question ALWAYS COMES UP)
7. Are you familiar with IEP plans?(get a hold of one that has some social skills services built in and read it)
8.What makes you a good guidance counselor? (insert own answer! or....good listening, mediating skills, ability to wear many hats and multi-task, positive reinforcement for staff, students and families.
9. Do you have experience with outside agency referrals? (look up some mental health programs in area you are interviewing in a be familiar with their services)
10. What would some of your goals be as a counselor (insert own answer! or...to know all kids name in caseload by end of year; keep as many things off principal's desk as possible (staff/student issues; parent/staff issues etc); be proactive instead of putting out fires, create positive guidance depart.climate by always following up!! GOOD LUCK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (274) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

ck in Ashdown, Arkansas

79 months ago

this will be very helpful in my persuit to change job directions

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.