Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

How did you get your start doing hr generalist work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Killingsworth in Colorado Springs, Colorado

78 months ago

I started in education and training. I have a MBA with a certificate in HR. My first HR position was with a resort as a manager. I was able to land a Directorship after about one year. Internships and moving up in an HR office with a larger company is a good way if you don't have a background in HR. The most important thing is to keep learning. The day you walking into a position you need to be ready for all situations from FMLA to ADA accommodations. Either situation can create a real liability for the company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Max S in Derby, Kansas

73 months ago

I've resently moved to Wichita and I'm trying to finish my second year of HR management.I'm working in a company structure not in HR. I'd like know how I can break in to HR and make a career of this wounderful field.Where is the market,and who is willing to help,and who do I see.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

HR Manager in Miami in Miami, Florida

72 months ago

Max S in Derby, Kansas said: I've resently moved to Wichita and I'm trying to finish my second year of HR management.I'm working in a company structure not in HR. I'd like know how I can break in to HR and make a career of this wounderful field.Where is the market,and who is willing to help,and who do I see.

I was in college and working full-time. I was working as a Admissions Coordinator at a college. I went to the HR Director of the company I worked for and told him that I needed to do an internship for my HR Degree. He let me do my internship and then I was offered a position as an HR Coordinator. There are many different ways to enter HR. Sometimes, you just have to be a little creative. Its a very rewarding field to go into. I am currently the HR Director for a company of over 500 employees.

Also try to start as a HR Assistant. Research the companies. A small company may give you the opportunity that a fortune 500 company would not. I hope that I was able to help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Curious in Portland, Oregon

66 months ago

HR Manager in Miami in Miami, Florida said: I was in college and working full-time. I was working as a Admissions Coordinator at a college. I went to the HR Director of the company I worked for and told him that I needed to do an internship for my HR Degree. He let me do my internship and then I was offered a position as an HR Coordinator. There are many different ways to enter HR. Sometimes, you just have to be a little creative. Its a very rewarding field to go into. I am currently the HR Director for a company of over 500 employees.

Also try to start as a HR Assistant. Research the companies. A small company may give you the opportunity that a fortune 500 company would not. I hope that I was able to help

I work for a company developing a new in house HR department. We have 40+ employees, any suggestions on how we should structure our new HR department. We outsourced the functions previously.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.