Does having a certification increase salary and H.R. job opportunities?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 70 of 70)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

Marise in South Africa

47 months ago

I am currently studying Hr I like to know how does one get started on doing your assesments and how to cope during assignments.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Flash in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

42 months ago

starry in Waco, Texas said: Do not get into HR unless it's a last resort. I have a BBA in HR Mgmt, 4 yrs experience out of school, PHR Certified on 1st attempt with little study, and this is the worst career move for me.

HR is only as good as your non-perfect boss and senior mgmt usually doesnt give a squat about HR unless it deals with the final steps of hiring /firing/benefits. It is not worth it if you are truly ambitious! The money is not there unless you work for say, Disney .

You are on the money with that one. I have a BA in HR Management and to me it is use less. I honestly regret even going back school and for degree.

Reply - Report abuse

anwilbert in New Orleans, Louisiana

41 months ago

I really want to get into the HR field; however I have no experience. Currently, I am looking for a position so I can just "get my foot in the door" and gain experience in the field. I have a BA in psychology and a MBA. So many times I hear, "You are over qualified" or "You don't have enough experience" while interviewing for positions. Would getting a PHR increase my chances of getting into the field?

Reply - Report abuse

Samson in Bridgetown, Barbados

41 months ago

Peony in Duluth, Georgia said: As a corporate Recruiter, and I have seen this many times, I think you should first become certified before you get the Master's degree. If you are looking to get into HR with little or no experience, getting a Master 's degree in HR now without some experience will put you into the "over qualified category". I think you should go for the Master's after having at least 2+ years of HR experience.

Totally agree, I know of a friend who got a Caribbean job in HR on www.caribbeanjobsonline.com, and an international certificate in HR was more important to the company. Actually she had no Master degree, by a certificate

Reply - Report abuse

piyushkapoor in New Delhi, India

37 months ago

It depends on the company you are going to work with & the location as well. HR is the right path through you can get better earning opportunities with a excellent degree.

Reply - Report abuse

Sandy-528 in Rome, Georgia

33 months ago

HRMgr in Bedford, Indiana said: To the individuals with the master's degrees I would suggest possibly leaving it off your resume. It is good that you have the knowledge and you will be a greater asset to the organization that picks you up, but most people assume you will want too much money or are overqualified. And if you don't want too much money, they will think you are merely using them as a stepping stone. It's a tough spot to be in. Best of luck.

You are kidding, right? I've been in HR for over 25 years, have had a successful career and have an MBA. I think leaving something off as important as a Master's degree is dishonest. Many companies still require professional applicants to fill out an job application when you go for an on-site interview. How will you explain leaving it off? Will you leave it off your background check as well? This is poor advice! I do think early on in your career, some work experience can make you more marketable. A lot of young adults are going on to grad school due to the economy. I would never "disqualify" an applicant because they have a Master's degree. One other post consider those applicants over-qualified. I do not believe in this. I find the best candidates possible. If their education and work experience exceed the requirements of the job? Good for me! I've landed a better candidate who is promotable. I find that you get these candidates today due to...again, the economy...they want to work for our company...they don't want the responsibilities of a higher level position to demands of their home life. These employees don't always turn over. There is no guarantee anyone will stay in a job. People change employers more frequently than they have in my career for various reasons. That's my take on this...and I do gave a lot of experience. Get your PHR. Many HR jobs require it or it's highly desired. Turn around and take the SPHR when you meet the requirements. Good Luck!

Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

ANWilbert in New Orleans, Louisiana said: I really want to get into the HR field; however I have no experience. Currently, I am looking for a position so I can just "get my foot in the door" and gain experience in the field. I have a BA in psychology and a MBA. So many times I hear, "You are over qualified" or "You don't have enough experience" while interviewing for positions. Would getting a PHR increase my chances of getting into the field?

Yes...it shows you have knowledge in HR areas. You can also take CE courses and join the location SHRM as a junior member. Great place to network!

Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Sandy-528 in Rome, Georgia said: Yes...it shows you have knowledge in HR areas. You can also take CE courses and join the location SHRM as a junior member. Great place to network!

Local SHRM*

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

33 months ago

Flash in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida said: You are on the money with that one. I have a BA in HR Management and to me it is use less. I honestly regret even going back school and for degree.

I find this interesting as HR is a growing field. I've always been an important part of the management team where I've worked and made as much, if not more, than my male colleagues. Maybe this is true at small companies, but it is not my experience at larger ones.

Reply - Report abuse

AttyVette in Houston, Texas

32 months ago

I am thinking about leaving the job I work for, as a practice manager at a office located near Houston, Texas. I have previously worked as a prosecutor in Texas and did so for over 9 years. I do not have a HR degree but have a law degree and I am licensed by the State Bar of Texas to practice law here in Texas. Curious as to the realistic aspect of me securing a position in a company in their HR department since I do not have an HR degree but do have as BS degree in Speech and my Juris Doctorate degree. We do not have a separate HR department where I currently work so I handle all the HR responsibilities as well as other aspects of this office. Thank you for any suggestions any of you might have for me regarding this matter ahead of time.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Angie in Hillsborough, New Jersey

32 months ago

I have bachelor's in computer Science and have 7 years of in ERP SAP HR consulting experience with Big 4 consulting firms.

I have closely worked with HR departments in industry, I want to pursue my career in Human Resources and planning to do Masters in Human Resource Management as I can't go for PHR/SPHR certification because of lack of prior HR experience.

Reading the comments on this forum, I am not sure If I am moving in the right direction as clearly says that even with masters and no prior HR experience your chances of getting a job is feeble. Please suggest

Reply - Report abuse

Skimbrulee

25 months ago

Hello Everyone!

Lately I have been in a lot of turmoil because I am not sure which direction to take in becoming a HR professional. I have a bachelors degree in sociology and the first job I landed after graduation is a HR-related job but not an actual HR title. Basically I work in the HR office but I recruit international interns for a hospitality related company. However, I don't know how I will ever grow in this company and there is no room for me to assist in actual HR duties.

So lately I've been debating on whether or not I should get a masters in HR management or just wait until I can take the certification test. I have been trying to find a company who will hire me as at least and hr assistant but my resume is too weak I feel :(

Would you recommend going back to grad school? Especially since I have a non hr related degree with only half a year of experience in recruitment...

Please advise, I would be so grateful!

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Ladyeja in San Diego, California

22 months ago

I am also haVing challenges finding a HR job/position here in SD, CA (Been here almost 3 yrs, originally from FTL, FL). I have a BACHELORS in Business mgmt and Masters degree in HRM from Keller GRAD school. I have worked in higher education for over 10 yrs with administartive, admissions, financial aid and student advising experience However I am looking to change careers into now HR. I am having difficulty finding HR job without actually HR experience. I get calls for entry levelevel work with very low pay in which it donot compare to my current pay as a student Advisor 40k+... any tips and recommendations to help me enhance my HR career will be greatly appreciated. I am even searching for relocation jobs in order to help my HR career.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Arsha in Peekskill, New York

18 months ago

I have related questions, I have an MBA majored in HR, currently on HR related field (1.5yr HR/Payroll admin experience). I am planning to pursue my SHRM-cp certification. Does that help to boost my career? How much salary can I negotiate to an employer? Please advise

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Elsa in Houston, Texas

13 months ago

Go for what you are passionate in. If your passion is HR then get the degree. I obtained my MHR from U of Scranton and I landed my first HR job in 2 months after graduating. If you are result driven and showcase your HR talents in every aspect of past jobs, then you will land your HR job.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

htd010101 in Weslaco, Texas

12 months ago

I have to ask. I have a bachelor's degree in Biology with a Minor in English. I recently started my Masters in English and I'm currently a teacher that makes more than a good wage but I wish to seek working in the human resources profession for a couple of personal reasons. I was thinking of simply beginning a certification in Human resources and working myself up from there. Could I possibly land a 35,000+ paying job with this certification?

Reply - Report abuse

Just46mom@yahoo.com my name is shirley in Millbrook, Alabama

12 months ago

Alan Pinney in Orleans, Indiana said: Dang, starry. I was on here looking for an HR job in Waco. Maybe I shouldn't now, huh? I agree with your comment:

"HR is only as good as your non-perfect boss and senior mgmt usually doesnt give a squat about HR unless it deals with the final steps of hiring /firing/benefits."

That's kind of the situation I am in. It's a young company and they value engineers over anyone with business sense.

I went to school now I have my degree in human resources but no experience what do I need to do now

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Just46mom@yahoo.com my name is shirley in Millbrook, Alabama

12 months ago

"HR is only as good as your non-perfect boss and senior mgmt usually doesnt give a squat about HR unless it deals with the final steps of hiring /firing/benefits."

That's kind of the situation I am in. It's a young company and they value engineers over anyone with business sense.

I went to school now I have my degree in human resources but no experience what do I need to do now

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

tabye in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

9 months ago

I am pursuing a masters in human resource management with two years experience in labor organizing. I chose HR because it seemed to blend well with my recruitment and training experience as a union organizer. Now after reading through this forum I am feeling a bit of doubt about my decision. What do you think?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Katty in Sunnyvale, California

3 months ago

Hi,

I have a BA and MA degree in psychology and 1 year experience as an HR Assistant outside of U.S.
Now I'm looking for a job in HR field in California but I couldn't find anything. I need a recommendation: do you think is it a good idea to take HR certificate program at Berkeley? do you think it increases my chance to get into HR field job?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.