Does having a certification increase salary and H.R. job opportunities?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 61 of 61)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

BrittanyVThomas in Lafayette, Indiana

14 months ago

I am looking into getting a Bachelors in Human Resource Management...I already have a Bachelors in Human Services, and if my calculations are correct, it would only take me a little over a year to get another bachelors degree. I thought about getting my Masters in HR but have NO experience in the field and then I would be overqualified with no experience to help me.

I am currently applying to grad programs to get a masters in higher education administration, but I am looking into HR as a back up in case I do not get into grad school. Should I go with the bachelors in HR or try to get an HR job with my human service degree? I know it is difficult to break into so any advice would be great!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Vikash Jha in Kirnahar, India

14 months ago

Can someone like me from India, having a MBA in HR with 1-2 years of experience get a job in Canada? If someone in the group can through some light on this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marise in South Africa

13 months ago

I am currently studying Hr I like to know how does one get started on doing your assesments and how to cope during assignments.

Flash in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

8 months ago

starry in Waco, Texas said: Do not get into HR unless it's a last resort. I have a BBA in HR Mgmt, 4 yrs experience out of school, PHR Certified on 1st attempt with little study, and this is the worst career move for me.

HR is only as good as your non-perfect boss and senior mgmt usually doesnt give a squat about HR unless it deals with the final steps of hiring /firing/benefits. It is not worth it if you are truly ambitious! The money is not there unless you work for say, Disney .

You are on the money with that one. I have a BA in HR Management and to me it is use less. I honestly regret even going back school and for degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ANWilbert in New Orleans, Louisiana

7 months ago

I really want to get into the HR field; however I have no experience. Currently, I am looking for a position so I can just "get my foot in the door" and gain experience in the field. I have a BA in psychology and a MBA. So many times I hear, "You are over qualified" or "You don't have enough experience" while interviewing for positions. Would getting a PHR increase my chances of getting into the field?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Samson in Bridgetown, Barbados

7 months ago

Peony in Duluth, Georgia said: As a corporate Recruiter, and I have seen this many times, I think you should first become certified before you get the Master's degree. If you are looking to get into HR with little or no experience, getting a Master 's degree in HR now without some experience will put you into the "over qualified category". I think you should go for the Master's after having at least 2+ years of HR experience.

Totally agree, I know of a friend who got a Caribbean job in HR on www.caribbeanjobsonline.com, and an international certificate in HR was more important to the company. Actually she had no Master degree, by a certificate

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

piyushkapoor in New Delhi, India

4 months ago

It depends on the company you are going to work with & the location as well. HR is the right path through you can get better earning opportunities with a excellent degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sandy-528 in Rome, Georgia

2 days ago

HRMgr in Bedford, Indiana said: To the individuals with the master's degrees I would suggest possibly leaving it off your resume. It is good that you have the knowledge and you will be a greater asset to the organization that picks you up, but most people assume you will want too much money or are overqualified. And if you don't want too much money, they will think you are merely using them as a stepping stone. It's a tough spot to be in. Best of luck.

You are kidding, right? I've been in HR for over 25 years, have had a successful career and have an MBA. I think leaving something off as important as a Master's degree is dishonest. Many companies still require professional applicants to fill out an job application when you go for an on-site interview. How will you explain leaving it off? Will you leave it off your background check as well? This is poor advice! I do think early on in your career, some work experience can make you more marketable. A lot of young adults are going on to grad school due to the economy. I would never "disqualify" an applicant because they have a Master's degree. One other post consider those applicants over-qualified. I do not believe in this. I find the best candidates possible. If their education and work experience exceed the requirements of the job? Good for me! I've landed a better candidate who is promotable. I find that you get these candidates today due to...again, the economy...they want to work for our company...they don't want the responsibilities of a higher level position to demands of their home life. These employees don't always turn over. There is no guarantee anyone will stay in a job. People change employers more frequently than they have in my career for various reasons. That's my take on this...and I do gave a lot of experience. Get your PHR. Many HR jobs require it or it's highly desired. Turn around and take the SPHR when you meet the requirements. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

2 days ago

ANWilbert in New Orleans, Louisiana said: I really want to get into the HR field; however I have no experience. Currently, I am looking for a position so I can just "get my foot in the door" and gain experience in the field. I have a BA in psychology and a MBA. So many times I hear, "You are over qualified" or "You don't have enough experience" while interviewing for positions. Would getting a PHR increase my chances of getting into the field?

Yes...it shows you have knowledge in HR areas. You can also take CE courses and join the location SHRM as a junior member. Great place to network!

2 days ago

Sandy-528 in Rome, Georgia said: Yes...it shows you have knowledge in HR areas. You can also take CE courses and join the location SHRM as a junior member. Great place to network!

Local SHRM*

2 days ago

Flash in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida said: You are on the money with that one. I have a BA in HR Management and to me it is use less. I honestly regret even going back school and for degree.

I find this interesting as HR is a growing field. I've always been an important part of the management team where I've worked and made as much, if not more, than my male colleagues. Maybe this is true at small companies, but it is not my experience at larger ones.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.