MASTERS IN IDUSTRIAL / ORGANIZATIONAL PSYCHOLOGY

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

AAK in Saint Louis, Missouri

62 months ago

i HAVE BEEN AN EDUCATOR FOR THE LAST 7 YEARS. DUE TO PHYSICAL PROBLEM BEEN FORCED TO LOOK AT A CAREER SWITCH. i AM KEEN ON GETTING INTO TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT AND HAVE JUST STARTED GATHERING INFO ABOUT IT ON THE NET, IN A NUTSHELL I AM A TRUE NOVICE AT IT .... SORT BABE IN THE WOODS. I COULD DO WITH ALL THE HELP AND GUIDANCE THAT I CAN GET. WHERE DO I START, MY COMPUTER SKILLS ARE LIMITED TO A CERTAIN DEGREE OF WORD, AND EMAIL, BROWSING. WHAT TECH KNOWLEDGE WILL I NEED AND I AM LOOKING AT A MASTERS IN M.A. 'in Applied Industrial & Organizational Psychology' OFFERED ONLINE THROUGH THE CHICAGO SCHOOL OF PSYCHOLOGY. SINCE I DO NOT HAVE THIS COURSE OFFERED IN MY STATE/ LOCAL UNIVERSITIES. I UNDERSTAND THIS COURSE IS GEARED FOR THOSE PROFESSIONALS THAT ARE IN THIS FIELD FOR SOMETIME, BUT CAN LOOK FOR OTHER OPTIONS. DUE TO MY FAMILY SITUATION I AM UNABLE TO MOVE OR APPLY FOR A JOB/ INTERNSHIP IN THE HR FIELD FOR THE NEXT 2 YEARS. I WANT TO USE THIS TIME AVAILABLE TO ME TO PURSUE AN EDUCATION, I GUESS IN A WAY I AM FORCED TO TAKE THE STUDY FIRST PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE LATER ROUTE. PLEASE ADVICE, HOW FAR A SWITCH LIKE THIS IS POSSIBLE FOR ME I AM IN MY EARLY 30'S WITH JUST A LITTLE OFFICE EXPERIENCE.
ALSO WHAT PROGRAMS ARE RECOMMEND FOR THE TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT FIELD????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AAK in Saint Louis, Missouri

62 months ago

I am zeroing in on the the masters in ' Applied Industrial & Organizational Psychology' ONLINE through the Chicago School of Professional Psychology. Their term starts in end of June...... I was wondering if their was anyone out there who has done the same or a similar course in I/O psychology online and what were their experiences??? Please share.Also since their is no internship option with the online course I am wondering if the fact that I don't have any previous HR experience will it hinder my job prospects and job performance???? Another option is doing the certification first whihc I might opt for and then trying out for a job. Please I urgently need some idea on the same.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cognitive in Charlotte, North Carolina

56 months ago

I have not taken courses at The Chicago School but I consistently hear that the programs are well-designed and rigorous. I also hear that they are designed for well-motivated professionals who are able to bring the necessary discipline and conviction to complete an independent program. The Chicago School is quite expensive when compared to other non-profit and traditional universities. If you are interested in I/O psych programs, I would check go to www.SIOP.org (Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology). They have a listing of graduate programs that can be sorted by various criteria including online and distance education. Can't speak to the other concerns about being competitive in the HR field, but I hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jrsmall in Lakeland, Florida

55 months ago

I am currently a student at The Chicago School. Their programs begin every eight weeks. I started attending June 2009. I have been very pleased with the program. The classes move at a pretty quick pace, but are manageable for me as a married working professional with children.

The courses in the program take you from the perspective of having no experience and incorporates your professional experience no matter what the field. The courses are expensive, but after completing three terms I have nothing but good things to say about my experience in the program. The program takes 20 months to complete and if you need to education anyway I recommend The Chicago School.

eliza in Nanuet, New York

41 months ago

I am interested in a PHD in I/O Psych also, but was wondering how many positions there will be in the future without a license. I have been trying to investagate but I really haven't spoke with anyone who has that experience.

Does anyone have guidence in looking for an I/O position?

Thanks

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.