Resume advice

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Elaine Zimmermann in Fenton, Michigan

67 months ago

I'm attaching my resume for a HR Manager. I haven't had much success at landing a job. Could you please make suggestions on what I can do to improve the resume to get that job offer?

Highlights of Qualification & Experience
Most recent experience in Human Resources Management
? Monitor and assist COO with the enforcement of human resource policies and procedures.
? Develop and implement agency employee handbook.
? Develop agency job descriptions and performance appraisals.
? Major contributor on leadership team for organizational development and strategic planning.
? Interview prospective employees and recommend to Department Heads for hire.
? Analyze, recommend and oversee all agency benefit packages to executive staff.
? Provided support to all departments by conducting employee counseling.
? Identify and implement employee training programs to reduce employee turnover.
? Develop agency safety and wellness programs.
? Develop Workers Comp and Unemployment backup involving cases for appearance before respective hearing boards in support of the agency.
? Responsible for local, state, and federal reporting, such as MIOSHA, COBRA, FMLA, HIPPA
? Analyze employment and compliance issues with external regulatory agencies.
? Implement training and mandatory testing to automated systems.
? Identify cost-effective best solution fit for company/agency during difficult times
? Internal auditor of quality standards, such as ISO 14001-Lloyds & TSO 16949-BSI.
? Working knowledge of accounting functions
? Possess excellent Microsoft Office skills

Relevant Professional Experience
10+ years in Human Resources

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

MichelleK in Gilbert, Arizona

67 months ago

Hi, Elaine
I don't think it's you or your resume; it's written concisely and with meaning. I believe it's the economy. I have been looking since before a layoff in November and have been unsuccessful. Keep your chin up and hope the "stimulus" package will open some more doors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Thank you for your comment. I trust in God and continue each day to actively seek every opportunity that may arise to secure a good job. I will keep you in prayer Michelle that He will open a door for you as well. When it comes to prayer there's no distance problem. I'm located in Michigan and you, in Arizona; God is able to do "exceedingly abundantly above all that we can think or ask." Please email me when your door opens, so I'm able to join you in sending praise and thanksgiving to the Lord!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

BoroMom in Dayton, Ohio

66 months ago

Consider more powerful statements by adding how much you saved the company by implementing the wellness program, or your actions saved $$ in unemployment wins--what was your % of wins. You mention employee counseling (employee relations), how much or again what was the desired outcome and how your push made you successful, how large was your organization? Another suggestion-I went to the book store to review current publications on resume writing-so much has changed, but you might want to take a look to see if you want to change the look of your resume. I've been actively interviewing and taking interviews of positions I know I really interested in, but gaining interview experience now that I'm in the "other" seat.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jonna Shaffer in Hemet, California

66 months ago

Elaine: After 25 years of employment, my company has filed Chapter 11 effective 1/14/09... while it is uncertain how things will go, I decided to get out there and test the market. Writing a resume and interviewing after that length of time is indeed eye-opening. One of the things that I found helpful was using the free resume critique service offerred on several of the job posting sites. I had thought I had done a pretty good job but reading the comments was, for lack of a better word, stunning.... once I stopped taking the information personal, I did see where the critiquer had made some great recommendations. Your current resume was very similiar to my first attempt... it sounded too much like a job description. I agree 100% with BoroMom's comments... the more you can show how specific actions resulted in tangible (measurable) rsults, the better off you are. I also went to a book store and picked up Gallery of Best Resumes... they have a section on HR that may give you some ideas with content and formatting. I revamped my resume and I am now starting to get some call backs... keep the faith... and above all, keep positive and laugh a lot.... it is amazing what the power of positive thinking that do! Best of luck in your job search... I will send positive thoughts your way!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I will take them to heart by researching a more appealing resume. The Gallery of Best Resumes will be my next trip to the bookstore. Again I appreciate your time and advise!

Jonna Shaffer in Hemet, California

65 months ago

Elaine Zimmermann in Fenton, Michigan said: Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I will take them to heart by researching a more appealing resume. The Gallery of Best Resumes will be my next trip to the bookstore. Again I appreciate your time and advise!

Elaine: how is your search going? I just wanted to share some information that I have gotten while going through this process... you may need to change your resume two or three times before you get it 100%... I looked at a variety of job descriptions that were posted and then reviewed my resume. What I found is that I needed to create two resumes... one focusing on the HR Generalist esperience and one that focused more on the Employee Relations.... I moved things around so the primary critria companies were looking for was at the top... it can be a process where you revamp your resume several times.... did you try the free critique service on some of the job posting sites? Continued good luck in your search...

ellie in Texas City, Texas

51 months ago

Elaine Zimmermann in Fenton, Michigan said: Thank you for your comment. I trust in God and continue each day to actively seek every opportunity that may arise to secure a good job. I will keep you in prayer Michelle that He will open a door for you as well. When it comes to prayer there's no distance problem. I'm located in Michigan and you, in Arizona; God is able to do "exceedingly abundantly above all that we can think or ask." Please email me when your door opens, so I'm able to join you in sending praise and thanksgiving to the Lord!

is it a complete no-no to mention God in our resumes? I am a young lady completely on fire for God and He is all I talk about and it's very hard for me to leave Him out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.