Took the SPHR exam yesterday and FAILED but.....

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

Barbie in Pompano Beach, Florida

52 months ago

I listened to the distinctive HR series by David Siler and one of his helpful tips was to register for both exams and if you don’t pass the SPHR, you have another chance of taking the PHR in the same window.
I have only 5 years of recruiting and about 1 year performance management experience so I know I was ultimately not ready for the SPHR. The only reason I qualified to register was because I have an MBA. Well I took the SPHR yesterday and didn't pass. I was in no way discouraged because my online testing for the past couple of weeks was an average of 59-60%-(my score on strategic management was the lowest. I had higher scores on the rest). I took the exam for the experience and to better prepare me for the PHR which I will be taking at the end of June.
My PHR score now is averaging 75% for the sample tests and I believe will get better since all I am doing now is just taking practice tests. Materials I am using are: SHRM Learning system, Anne Bogardus and Distictive HR Audio CD’s (I Listened to it on my way to the test and I have to tell you that some of the topics he talked about on the audio CD came out on the test)
I will tell you that I felt the SPHR was 70% difficult and 30% not too difficult.

Questions that came up were:

-Definition of Third country national:
-Definition of divestiture
-Mergers & acquisitions
-Reengineering versus restructuring
-Two questions on environmental scanning
-Organizational life cycles (especially on the growth/maturity stage)
-Organizational values versus organizational philosophy
-Total Quality Management
-Scenarios on zero based budgeting (very tricky question)
-Two questions on situational theories
-Lots and lots and lots of organization development/management questions
-Defined benefits plans, qualified benefit plans, stock options plans for executive management (very tricky situational questions)
-Cash balance plan
-3 different questions on intrinsic and extrinsic rewards (situational)
-Pay grades/pe

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (69) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ardebholar in Pompano Beach, Florida

52 months ago

Continuation of I DIDNN'T PASS MY SPHR but.....

Questions from test:
Pay grades/performance based compensations
-Point factor
-1 question on broad banding
-Older Worker Benefit Protection Act
-A lot of questions on performance management
-Alternative work schedule (Different scenario questions)
-A graph that compared validity and reliability-(covered 3 questions for that graph alone)
-Criterion validity versus construct validity
-EVA
-4 keys aspects of the Balance score card
-Examples of two forms of liabilities on the balance sheet
-Sexual harassment
(There was a scenario questions that asked “If an employee communicates to an EAP professional about sexual harassment from his supervisor, what should the EAP professional do (
(Obviously the grammar on the test was more polished than mine)
(a) Tell the employer to fire the supervisor
(b) Approach the supervisor about the harassment
(c) Convince the employee to discuss it with HR
(d) Can’t remember the 4th option
-Quid pro quo scenario
-Global NAFTA questions
-Lots and lots tricky questions on HR’s strategic goals
-A lot of unfair labor practice questions on Unions as employers (5 questions on this)
-Different scenarios on NLRB’s function- Questions on if the NLRB should handle some cases pertained to the employer & Union
-Difference between wild strike and strike
-Integrative bargaining
-Statutory laws versus contract laws
-Mediation/arbitrations (Tricky scenarios on which one as a employer you would choose)
-General duty clause

THERE WAS ONLY 1 CALCULATION IN THE TEST
NO DISCRIMINATION CASE QUESTION ON THE TEST
NO VISA QUESTIONS

This is as much as I can remember. I hope this helps any potential SPHR candidate even though we all know everyone gets different questions depending on the day you are taking the test.
I am so positive I WILL PASS the PHR test in a few weeks but this experience with the SPHR sure has helped me a lot.

Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (62) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kathy in Cottage Grove, Minnesota

52 months ago

can you please email me at
creed_48154@yahoo.com
Thanks! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

pedrino83 in Walnut Creek, California

45 months ago

Great info! This will help A LOT. I have a question about registering for both. Could you please email me at Pedrino83@aol.com

I appreciate it! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kathie23 in Avon, Connecticut

44 months ago

I took a similar test. There was one Situational Leadership Question which is driving me crazy. They asked " In SL, is it the managers past or future actions that determines his decision making?". I can't find anything on this anywhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!.

Taking the test in a week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

C in Pickerington, Ohio

23 months ago

Does anyone remember anything on SOX or Mergers?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

vnalvn24 in Lebanon, New Hampshire

19 months ago

C in Pickerington, Ohio said: Does anyone remember anything on SOX or Mergers?

I just took the SPHR test last Saturday (Jan 31, 2015). Luckily, I passed. Yes, there was at least two questions on both SOX and M&A. But, the questions were not tricky - basically, if you know the basics on SOX (why it exists, who/what it protects) and remember that HR must play a "strategic" role in M&A's, you'll be fine!

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

steven in Saint Louis, Missouri

19 months ago

fyi
the tests change, so what was on one test will not be on future tests. you really need to study and know as much as you can.

I took the PHR and passed (all questions correct)

I studied for 6 months and only used the SHRM learning system. I studied all parts of the books, even the small details.

Good luck to all that take it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cmo313 in Fort Myers, Florida

11 months ago

Does anyone know what the passing score for the SHRM-CP is?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Laura in New Caney, Texas

9 months ago

steven in Saint Louis, Missouri said: fyi
the tests change, so what was on one test will not be on future tests. you really need to study and know as much as you can.

I studied for 6 months and only used the SHRM learning system. I studied all parts of the books, even the small details.

How long have you worked in HR before taking the PHR exam? I have been in payroll for almost 10 years and would like to study to take the exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Laura in New Caney, Texas

9 months ago

How many years have you worked in HR before taking the PHR exam?
I have been in payroll for almost 10 years and thinking of taking it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jake T in Downey, California

3 months ago

If you are really having trouble just focus on the more common questions-they tend to repeat themselves:

www.amazon.com/dp/B01F9JTUXE

PHR Exam 2016: 100 Most Common Questions on the Professional Human Resources Certification Exam

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

MM in Saint Albans, New York

2 months ago

I will take up the test on Thursay .. Am really tensed .. These recommendations might help me .yet am reading the entire books & did the online quizzes ....

MM in Brooklyn, New York

2 months ago

cmo313 in Fort Myers, Florida said: Does anyone know what the passing score for the SHRM-CP is?

The passing score and all candidate results on the SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP are reported as scaled scores. The range of possible scores for the SHRM-CP and SHRM-SCP exams is 120 to 200; all candidates who pass the exam receive the maximum score of 200.

The number of questions that have to be answered correctly varies depending on which form of the CP or SCP examination you take. The passing score is equal to a scale score of 200.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MM in Saint Albans, New York

2 months ago

vnalvn24 in Lebanon, New Hampshire said: I just took the SPHR test last Saturday (Jan 31, 2015). Luckily, I passed. Yes, there was at least two questions on both SOX and M&A. But, the questions were not tricky - basically, if you know the basics on SOX (why it exists, who/what it protects) and remember that HR must play a "strategic" role in M&A's, you'll be fine!

Good luck!

What is SOX!! Pls write the full form

gina in Plant City, Florida

2 months ago

MM in Saint Albans, New York said: I will take up the test on Thursay .. Am really tensed .. These recommendations might help me .yet am reading the entire books & did the online quizzes ....

I test Thursday too.. for the shrm cp

MM in Jackson Heights, New York

2 months ago

I did a terrible mistake of not hitting the end button at the end of the exam , consequently result showed did not pass!! Sent a mail to the SHRM team lets see if they consider my case to retrieve my test result again!!!
I really did well .. :(((

Jennifer in West Palm Beach, Florida

1 month ago

So yesterday I sat for the SPHR and I passed! Don't get me wrong, I tested before and failed it by 3 points. It's VERY hard. I have VP level experience in HR for 12 years, and it was still very hard for me. I wanted to jump on here and share my study materials with who all are preparing, or thinking about testing for the PHR or SPHR. It's called Benchprep. It was reasonably priced $379, and it's everything you will ever need, pre and post tests community forums, games, flashcards and it tracks your competencies and where you should be each day up until the day of your test. It worked great fr me! Hope that helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in West Palm Beach, Florida

1 month ago

MM in Saint Albans, New York said: What is SOX!! Pls write the full form

SOX is Sarbanes Oxley. It governs Accounting Regulations and Ethics Compliance mostly.

MM in Brooklyn, New York

1 month ago

Thanks

Jessica in Nashville, Tennessee

13 days ago

I took the test back in July. I failed. I studied everything I could get my hands on... and spend hundreds of dollars on study material. None of it was on the test. I'm hoping my test was a weird fluke. The questions made no sense. I have never studied so hard for anything in my life (college included) and was DEVASTATED when I failed.

I am thinking about signing up again this fall. Any advise?

SS in Falls Church, Virginia

13 days ago

Hi
i want to appear for SPHR exam and new to the country. Can some one please guide me if they know of some good institute for online or on campus preparatory classes and where can i get the course material for studying.
thanks

13 days ago

Jennifer in West Palm Beach, Florida said: So yesterday I sat for the SPHR and I passed! Don't get me wrong, I tested before and failed it by 3 points. It's VERY hard. I have VP level experience in HR for 12 years, and it was still very hard for me. I wanted to jump on here and share my study materials with who all are preparing, or thinking about testing for the PHR or SPHR. It's called Benchprep. It was reasonably priced $379, and it's everything you will ever need, pre and post tests community forums, games, flashcards and it tracks your competencies and where you should be each day up until the day of your test. It worked great fr me! Hope that helps!

Hi
So was this benchprep all you studied or was there any thing else? Plus was it helpful in you last attempt too or did you try benchprep this time. where can i get it from? Thanks for sharing as at the moment i'm totally clue less as in where to start from ?

13 days ago

steven in Saint Louis, Missouri said: fyi

Is SHRM learning system enough for SPHR too? Given the differences between both bodies

MM in Flushing, New York

13 days ago

Yes .. U can apply to Baruch College CAPS @ Lexington avenue .. They arrange preparatory classes for SHRM exams

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.