Getting an hr representative job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

How did you get your start doing hr representative work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Grace in Columbus, Ohio

54 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing hr representative work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

I began with internships while in college studying for my Sociology degree. From there I got a job as a customer service associate in an HR Outsourcing company where I worked for a year learning about employee benefits (health and welfare/401K/ etc.) and laws that have to do with those benefits. Next, I found a position as an HR Coordinator with a manager who trained me in recruiting techniques. After a year at that job I was offered a position as an HR Generalist in another country working for a major airline.

The most important thing you can do is get educated, whether it be a degree in HR or Sociology (like myself), education is a very important first step. If you can, definitely seek out internships while still in college so that you can "get your feet wet" so to speak. From there it's really about climbing the ladder. Start applying for entry level positions in the field and go from there.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Renee in Columbia, South Carolina

54 months ago

LaTeatra Allen in Rowlett, Texas said: Interested in reply

I have a Master's Degree in Human Resource Management along with 12 plus years of Employment Law Investigations. I am looking in transitioning into an HR Generalist/Representative role. My problem is that it is very difficult to secure a position in HR without the experience. Interested in an internship but I would of course, resign my job but at this point, I am willing to consider it. I have not seen much with entry level HR jobs. I would greatly appreciate your valuable advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.