ATI in North Richland Hills, Texas

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Rail Roader in Dallas, Texas

60 months ago

Has anyone out there attended ATI for their HVAC program? I am a laid off rail roader and I am considering entering this field as a new career. I have been researching schools in the Dallas / Ft. Worth area and I have narrowed it down to Tarrant County Community College and ATI in North Richland Hills. It costs $18,000 to go to ATI. The lead instructor told me that I could pay that back with 42 hours of work after I got finished with the program and got certified. Is this true? Tarrant County is a lot cheaper but I wouldn't get done until Christmas of next year. I need to start making a living before then. The folks up at ATI gave me the hard sale and it scared me off. The folks out at the Texas Workforce Commission said that HVAC Techs. are a dime a dozen. I don't know who to believe. If there is anyone who lives in the area and has any knowledge about the program up there at ATI I would welcome your advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Allen in Pompano Beach, Florida

55 months ago

I attend the Oakland Park, Fl. campus. ATI is a joke. All they do is collect your money. I have more negative comments than will fit in this block, just stay away!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rail Roader in Mansfield, Texas

55 months ago

Thank you for your comment. I almost went there until I checked out my local community college. ATI wanted $18,000 for a Tech certificate that would take 10 months to get. At the Community College I would get an installation certificate, a tech certificate, and an associates degree in 18 months for around $5,000. This would include all my tools too. The other positive with the community college is that if I needed to stop or drop a class I could come back to it later. With ATI I had to either commit or lose out completely. Also, with community college all of my class credit is transferable to other colleges. With the Associates Degree in Texas it counts as one year toward your state license. I found out that all of those expensive private trade schools are a sham.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

john in Southlake, Texas

50 months ago

I was going to go to AtI in NRH, but I found out about another school, that is known by all the local HVAC companies, and is pretty respected. They are called Lindsey Cooper Refrigeration school. It takes 3 months to complete, and with 2100, you become a certified tech. I just went there, and I have found out that the ATI students may have more time to learn, but we will mostly be learning in the field anyway. I also appreciated saving 16000.
The Lindsey school is in Irving

Rail Roader in Dallas, Texas

50 months ago

Wow! That sounds excellent! Fortunately, the rail road work has picked back up but if I ever find myself on furlough again I will definitely look into this school. Thanks for posting your comment about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

michael.penney in Fort Worth, Texas

49 months ago

john in Southlake, Texas said: I was going to go to AtI in NRH, but I found out about another school, that is known by all the local HVAC companies, and is pretty respected. They are called Lindsey Cooper Refrigeration school. It takes 3 months to complete, and with 2100, you become a certified tech. I just went there, and I have found out that the ATI students may have more time to learn, but we will mostly be learning in the field anyway. I also appreciated saving 16000.
The Lindsey school is in Irving

Lindsay-Cooper is a joke. Do not waste your time and you will have one hell of a hard time getting a job - employers do not take that school serious. What can you learn in 2wks? Nothing

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

jon in Carrollton, Texas

42 months ago

hey i was thinking about going to the cooper lindsay did you ever find work

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Al in Irving, Texas

28 months ago

I too was looking into attending lindsey-cooper refrigeration school. How is it a joke exactly? Their website posts past employers of students and it's got an A+ rating from the BBB. Back up your negative claims or don't bother posting anything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Al in Irving, Texas

28 months ago

I too was looking into attending lindsey-cooper refrigeration school. How is it a joke exactly? Their website posts past employers of students and it's got an A+ rating from the BBB. Back up your negative claims or don't bother posting anything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

No lie in Las Vegas, Nevada

27 months ago

Rail Roader in Dallas, Texas said: Has anyone out there attended ATI for their HVAC program? I am a laid off rail roader and I am considering entering this field as a new career. I have been researching schools in the Dallas / Ft. Worth area and I have narrowed it down to Tarrant County Community College and ATI in North Richland Hills. It costs $18,000 to go to ATI. The lead instructor told me that I could pay that back with 42 hours of work after I got finished with the program and got certified. Is this true? Tarrant County is a lot cheaper but I wouldn't get done until Christmas of next year. I need to start making a living before then. The folks up at ATI gave me the hard sale and it scared me off. The folks out at the Texas Workforce Commission said that HVAC Techs. are a dime a dozen. I don't know who to believe. If there is anyone who lives in the area and has any knowledge about the program up there at ATI I would welcome your advice.

I got certified with ATI in 2007 at the time when the economy spiraled down, up to now at 2012, ATI still could not help me get a HVACR Company to work for. I got sold into their fabricated truths about HVACR industry. However, it took me 5 years to pay off my tuition with them. ATI is pure FRAUD!!! with their stupid, not enough hands on training. If you want to learn HVACR just follow an experience one out to the field and go from there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Justin, Texas

17 months ago

I went to Lindsey-Cooper some six years ago or so (maybe a bit longer). The folks at Texas Workforce do NOT say hvac techs are a dime a dozen. I know this because they determined there was a NEED for techs in my multi county area here in Dallas/ft worth and PAID for my schooling and a decent amount of basic tools after the plant I had worked at for 16 years shut down and there was no work in my field/skill set. To be found.

Furthermore, TWC has had enough SUCCESS in placing students (or their finding work on their own) that they keep sending folks there.

Is it perfect? No. It's had a rocky past having changed ownership several times, hence some bad blood in the past. Yes, it's two weeks a course, main hvac and another two weeks to learn installs and associated stuff.

I only took the tech portion. Like ANY school, the REAL education is in the field. I called my boss DAILY for at least the first year... He expected this and told me so. There is just too much equipment out there spanning up to 70 years old for anyone to know even half.

I had TWO job offers before I even graduated, one through TWC and another from adding schooling to my resumes online. Don't expect a job in winter as it is slow, but summer? Yeesh. Your only challenge is finding a company that will take a newbie... Most want 3-5yrs.

Everyone dogs insurance company calls too, rightly so since they pay low, and sometimes companies have issues getting paid in a timely manner, but it is good steady filler work. More importantly I wound up running 2 to 3 times as many calls as someone at a normal company, learned fast! TAKE into account some of these posts are MADE by people that WORK FOR the schools!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Justin, Texas

17 months ago

Superdank said: I went to ati for hvac at nr hills and it was damn well worth it first year out of school making 75000 a yr plus bonuses is awsome and at ati u can drop out and come back to it...they have job placement for life they found my job for me. Yes hvac techs are a dime a dozen but do u realize that only 3 % of hvac techs are certified, prob not. Also it depends on what part of hvac u go into, there are over 70 different possitions. Lol the only sham is that people that go to those really expensive trade schools start out making 3 times more than those that don't go haha hope this helps ya a bit, I'd drop out of the com college and hit up ati again, by the way the nr hills campus is the best hvac program out of all ati's and com colleges in the state FYI .

Rock on if you made that coming out! Reality for most however is FAR from that. The likelihood of some greenhorn making that out the door having never turned a real-world wrench or selling a system is about as likely as me waking up in bed next to T'pol, the hot Vulcan chick on Star Trek Enterprise and having her ask me to do more work on her plumbing. Come on, REALITY folks! I'm hvac, not a plumber! ;)

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.