Currently enrolled in school for HVAC, but have 1 question.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

DJ in Goose Creek, South Carolina

72 months ago

If you have a criminal record (non-violent crime), can you realistically get a job in the HVAC industry? I've been turned away all sorts of jobs for this reason. Wal Mart, Lowe's, Blockbuster, Grocery stores, etc. You name it, always the same response. Will i run into this same roadblock in this industry as well?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

coldpipes in medford, Massachusetts

72 months ago

DJ in Goose Creek, South Carolina said: If you have a criminal record (non-violent crime), can you realistically get a job in the HVAC industry? I've been turned away all sorts of jobs for this reason. Wal Mart, Lowe's, Blockbuster, Grocery stores, etc. You name it, always the same response. Will i run into this same roadblock in this industry as well?

most small and average size companies dont check, but bigger ones definetly check.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

tdive1 in Dickinson, Texas

63 months ago

A criminal record will usually hold you back from residential and banks . Sometimes certain commercial clients . You should allways expect lower wages compared to non charged people . You messed up but have to live with your life decisions. If I found out a excriminal was entering my dwelling I wouldn't use the company no matter how good they were.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

RJL in Fresno, California

63 months ago

DJ in Goose Creek, South Carolina said: If you have a criminal record (non-violent crime), can you realistically get a job in the HVAC industry? I've been turned away all sorts of jobs for this reason. Wal Mart, Lowe's, Blockbuster, Grocery stores, etc. You name it, always the same response. Will i run into this same roadblock in this industry as well?

I think you have to be honest and find a company that will work with you. One of my classmates had a charge of possessing narcotics and a firearm in his vehicle. Does that sound scary to you? He told the truth to the employment office and they connected him with a company where he explained the actual petty nature of the charges and they hired him. He has been there three years running... Not every company will be receptive, but many people DO have good family members that ran afoul of the law, and will be more understanding of a criminal record. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MIKE in Albany, New York

63 months ago

Think about your parents...They probably grew up with the local law informent and hell probably got drunk together. I know times have changed but if your looking for a job with an agency they will check. Otherwise do whatever it takes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.