HVAC Career PRO's vs. CON's anyone?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 132)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Hvacsvc in Rensselaer, Indiana

76 months ago

I personally am looking to fill a lead man spot. Service/Install
some sheet metal fab experience a real plus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (39) Reply - Report abuse

weldit777 in Evansville, Indiana

74 months ago

I'm in my early 20's and considering making a change from welding to hvac. will my welding background help in hvac? also i'm considering taking a 2 semester program to get certified, or should i get an associate to break into the field. appreciate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (73) / No (37) Reply - Report abuse

Hvac Pro in Las Vegas, Nevada

70 months ago

Bryan in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania said:

funny glutton for puns can hang , but love doesnt pay the bills or nob jobs with skills either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

bwood348 in Rome, Georgia

68 months ago

Vacation time and health insuranc sound like good things to me ive worked nonunion in another trade before and we got paid less than union plants in the same company got less benafits to so if a union will have me then here i come

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Scappoosian in Sweet Home, Oregon

67 months ago

What do you guys know about Air balancing? I am finishing up a refrigeration college course next month and looking for a job. I'm 40 and a displaced construction worker and I can't imagine HVAC/refrigeration being a whole lot harder on a body than construction... But I can't decide about Air balancing. I don't want to get bored with an unchallenging job, but I am kinda beat up from 20+ years of construction.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Scappoosian in Sweet Home, Oregon

67 months ago

Well, this time last year I was making 25 an hour. Construction sucks and has never taken care of me for any real length of time, and these days there is absolutely nothing going on here. So I really don't see an option, stay in my current field and sit at home (which looks like is going away soon anyhow) or start a new career with a substantial pay cut but health insurance, 401k, etc. This apprenticeship program says it will put me at 22/hr within 3 years. I don't know... I'm just about to the point of pumping gas right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Wife of HVAC in Pinckney, Michigan

67 months ago

So many of these comments are spot on and many are not. My husband (46) has been in the bus. for about 18 yrs. He took the time to get all state certifications and continues to stay updated. His new venture is in Geo-thermal. He makes about $25 with full benefits and truck. The hours vary according to the seasons. He adds extra income with side jobs during slow periods. He will qualify for his boiler license in about 14 months.
If any of you decide to take this route, I believe the best time to job hunt is spring and fall. Update your knowledge regularly. Don't be afraid to call tech support for a part your installing, replacing. You won't come out of school with confidence to apply as a tech or installer. It takes a lot of hands on to get the gist of your job. It's a great job that won't be outsourced, and needed in every state, overseas also. My 32 yr. old son is in the same bus. and my 19 yr. old is just beginning. Personally, I believe it's a great career choice that gives you job security and the ability to advance if your willing to give it your all. Good Luck to those that make this choice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Positive Energy in Collegeville, Pennsylvania

67 months ago

I agree with give it your all. I'm impressed with the attention paid to the trades life associated with the pay, unfortunatly this trade hires when the work is there, winter and summer, but not as a rule, just a statistic. Hvac is a good trade, there are so many veriables, so many positions, it comes down to how much you put in, and who you are (can you hang, fix, sell, manage crews, work with others, deal with customers, take orders, be respected and knowlegable enough to give orders, ETC...) I again would suggest reading all the above comments, all have some,to much trueth in the words. I was actually surprised to see some of the "was this helpful? /NO-1,2,3,4..." When these people have lived the hvac life, I know because I have also.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

chuckie40 in Lawrenceville, Georgia

65 months ago

hey i am 45 is it too late for me to consider hvac. thanking about it but what i am reading here is scary to say the least. should i reconsider this path.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (67) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Scappoosian in Lebanon, Oregon

65 months ago

I just got out of school and have 3 job offers, not interviews, but job offers within 2 weeks. I'm 40 by the way. And I'm in Oregon, I believe we have the highest unemployment in the country, we just hit 10.5%. I actually have another interview on Thursday. If what you are doing now isn't working for you I say go for it...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Chuck. Dont want to be a wet blanket to anyone. Im pushin 50, personally needed to get out of this 5 yrs. as the trade has beat the sh*t out of my body. As you've read to be a real tech there are a lot of things to learn, study, invest in tools, education, be baby sitted in the field. All thats fine if you have the time, back and energy. Takes several yrs field experience to get a good start. Most often the pay is going to be on a minimal end because it'll be lucky if you can actually carry yourself let alone contribute much to a company. I know babysitters for rookies cost me money.
Not to often does one find a union situation ect where they pick the expenses plus overpay you for what you dont know to where your making some money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

ben in Ashtabula, Ohio

65 months ago

as far as work its seasonal and this field does beat your body up im 50 yrs old been doing itc 27 yrs and was never able to save for retirement so id maybe choose a different field but again its up to you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bryan Bans in Knoxville, Tennessee

65 months ago

Quick question for folks involved in the trade. How much will a background in sales help in HVAC? I have a history of residential and low-voltage electrical but the majority of my professional work history has been in sales and management. I am looking to make a career change and HVAC has always interested me. I've read a few posts describing how techs are sometimes involved in sales and I'd love to hear your thoughts about it. Thank you for taking the time to read and respond!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ben in Ashtabula, Ohio

65 months ago

your sales experience is a strong plus in the field and it may save your back most companies love sales ex go for it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bryan Bans in Knoxville, Tennessee

65 months ago

ben in Ashtabula, Ohio said: your sales experience is a strong plus in the field and it may save your back most companies love sales ex go for it

Thanks Ben!

motivated78 in Branford, Connecticut

63 months ago

Madmoony said: For an instructor, you sure suck at spelling... Might wanna get classes in English.

Little harsh there Madmoony. He brought some excellent points to the table, regardless if he made some spelling errors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Madmoony said: For an instructor, you sure suck at spelling... Might wanna get classes in English.

Madmooney you stated some real truth. Good post.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ben in Ashtabula, Ohio

63 months ago

i bet your spelling is alot better when you write up a customer bill after a job completion lol.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

j_sully1 in Norristown, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

I read your response again...Was thinking now that i've done oil for about 2 years. Should my next move be a gas company?..Do you know of any electrical classes in the collegeville area? I've been considering switching for a while just in part because the company i'm at really only does oil heat and I know that there is much more out there than that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

I took my electrical classes at Delco (473 and rt3)I think they have them at the Blue Bell Camp now. As far as gas, If you want to get into gas, heat pumps, geo - you have to just get a job with a company that does that work. The more you know, the better chance finding a job, you know oil, one down...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

HVAC Res/foreman/instructor in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

Hey Madmoony, I'm sorry that you think that I suck at spelling, but I am not the most computer literate or key board savy type of person. My fingers don't always hit the right keys. Oh, buy the way Madmoony, it should be "Madmoney" not "Madmoony".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Emily in Rocklin, California

60 months ago

Bryan Bans in Knoxville, Tennessee said: Quick question for folks involved in the trade. How much will a background in sales help in HVAC? I have a history of residential and low-voltage electrical but the majority of my professional work history has been in sales and management. I am looking to make a career change and HVAC has always interested me. I've read a few posts describing how techs are sometimes involved in sales and I'd love to hear your thoughts about it. Thank you for taking the time to read and respond!

My husband has been in the field for over a year and has many years in sales prior to his HVAC career. He is currently bringing home around $2,500.00 a week because he gets a certain percent of selling a new system. In my opinion sales exp. is a major plus, that is where most of the company revenue comes from.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ben in Ashtabula, Ohio

60 months ago

sales is always a plus and a way to make bonus money. hvac field needs sales as well as install and service. i say go for it in this field

Chrisc in Newnan, Georgia

58 months ago

This job sucks. I went to school for this and they told me I would make great money. They did not say that I would have to work 60 hours a week then when the summer was over I would get fired for any damn reason. They use you to work when they are busy and then either lay you off or If they don't want to pay the tax they fire you for no reason. Then you have no job and have to fight them for unemployment. they will say anything to get what is best for them. I wish I would not have put some much of my life in this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

ben in Ashtabula, Ohio

58 months ago

Chrisc in Newnan, Georgia said: This job sucks. I went to school for this and they told me I would make great money. They did not say that I would have to work 60 hours a week then when the summer was over I would get fired for any damn reason. They use you to work when they are busy and then either lay you off or If they don't want to pay the tax they fire you for no reason. Then you have no job and have to fight them for unemployment. they will say anything to get what is best for them. I wish I would not have put some much of my life in this.

i feel your pain after 28 years in the field a bad back rotator cuff and many other problems from being beat up on install and service i feel if i could find a skill i would have been a cook so much for hind sight good luck try something else

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

Your right about this trade being grueling work. Hvac beats up your body, you must work many and all kinds of hours, and is usually exhausting mentally and physically. The first few years, from what I have found, are the hardest in reference to job security. There are lots of people that want to get into it, but it takes a few years to learn the basics, and a decade or more to learn the details of the many forms of hvac equipment. From what I have seen in my 20 year hvac career, seasoned technicians are well paid and well taken care of. The established companies will do whatever it takes to keep these employees, because they are hard to find these days. Hvac takes smarts, and a very strong drive to succeed. With all that said, hvac is a trade that will always be needed, and if you stick it out, knowing and excepting what it is, in most parts of the country with a half decent population density, you should always be able to find a job. I like making people comfortable, and I like standing back from my work and seeing what I have done and taking a picture, even after all these years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DukeOfEarl in La Grande, Oregon

56 months ago

Hvacsvc in Rensselaer, Indiana said: Madmooney you stated some real truth. Good post.
So it upsets your day if someone doen't use spell checker before posting? IMHO the most mechanically inclined people I have ever known were rather weak in the opposite aptitude of english/grammar/spelling. And those who could write well were so mechanically inept that they couldn't even change a doorknob. But I can see that your mind is made up, so I will be sure to use the auto-spell checker before I post this so you will know I am a a true expert on all that I opine. ~~~~~~

"I never had any large respect for good spelling" Mark Twain's Autobiography

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Bryan in Collegeville, Pennsylvania

56 months ago

The paperwork is a needed part of the trade. Myself, I don't like it, but I will do it every time to cover my ass. This is work. The job detail demands it. The scale of your paperwork, technical ability, salesmanship, leadership, and some luck IS the scale of your progression in this hvac trade. Don't let those words discurage you, I always just went for it . Bryan

Adam in Knightdale, North Carolina

56 months ago

Hello friends, I have been researching the hvac trade. I'm 26 years old and motivated to start a better life for my self. I got my cdl and tried over the road truck driving. It just wasn't for me. I'm looking for something I can do that I can make a living doing and not hate doing it. Is HVAC really that hard on your body? Are you forced to work extremely long hours in the summer time? Can a person just start out as a helper in the hvac trade without having to go to school to learn the trade? Is the job fun or just to darn demanding and not worth the bs to learn the trade? Would you rather have gone into the electric trade if you had to do it over again? Any advice would be appreciated. God bless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Erik in Sweet Home, Oregon

56 months ago

Well, I can't say for other companies, but I have been in construction for the last 20+ years, so I know what is hard on a body. My trade all but disappeared so I went back to school for a few months and landed a job as an install helper. I did that for about 3 or 4 months and got promoted to service. I will say that for a 40 year old guy that's 6'5" with bitchy knees, the install was hard at times. The hardest part for me was crouching and kneeling all the time. And crawl spaces and attics suck ass. But as for service, I can truthfully say for the first time in many years that I really like my job (most of the time). All of the installers at my company started as helpers with no schooling. All 4 of them started installing solo after anywhere from 1 to 2 years on the job. Yes, I have worked some 13 hour days, but the fact that service is not as physically demanding as my old job, I still feel ok at the end of the day. Even in install, I did ok after a 10 hour day. But my knees did hurt like hell.
I don't know what's available where you live, but I took a 3 months, full time class on HVAC installation, for about $1700 at Portland Community College and feel that it gave me a HUGE leg up. Like I say, I started doing service after about 6 or 7 months of install (I worked for another company for about 3 months before I got this job) and although I don't know a whole lot about alot of stuff out there, it's fun learning and I can usually hold my own. I'm taking my NATE test at the beginning of February that supposedly will get me another raise. I started at $12 per hour, and I now make $18. Not as much as I used to make, but I am working full time, and I like it.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide to try. Starting over at 26 has got to be easier than 40, but even then, it's not too late.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Adam in Knightdale, North Carolina

56 months ago

Thanks for the information Erik.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

56 months ago

arkchris in Little Rock, Arkansas said: Go commercial.I am 36 have 15 yrs experience make 26 dollars an hour. If u r gonna wear your body out get paid. Commercial refrigertion and a/c is the ticket. A union shop will get u there fastest. I did not go through the union and do not work for a union shop but i would have made the money faster if i would have. I live and work in the second poorest state in the nation and with o/t clear 75k a year so go for it just kiss ur wife and kids goodby in may you'll see them again somtime in september. Good luck

But they won't hire someone coming INTO the field at age 35 or 36 now will they?? I hear about all this 'need' for people in HVAC but the reality is that if you are over the age of 30 and have little or no experience, don't even bother spending the time & money....

These schools are like used car dealers blowing smoke up your butt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Erik in Sweet Home, Oregon

56 months ago

I had no shortage of job offers when I was looking for work right after school. One was actually for commercial, but the traveling and time out of town turned me off. Although I do think that there is more money in commercial.

I don't think I'm going to get rich at this, and I am 41 and starting over. I lost my savings and retirement in the last couple years. But this is the first time I've had medical insurance in 3 years and the company I work for does have a 401k so hopefully I can get something going in the next 20-25 years so I can retire in a house instead of a canopy or something.

Don't get me wrong, I think I got pretty lucky with everything, but I worked my ass off too. I didn't know what else to do.... (It has been a hell of a couple years)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Erik in Sweet Home, Oregon said: I had no shortage of job offers when I was looking for work right after school. One was actually for commercial, but the traveling and time out of town turned me off. Although I do think that there is more money in commercial.

I don't think I'm going to get rich at this, and I am 41 and starting over. I lost my savings and retirement in the last couple years. But this is the first time I've had medical insurance in 3 years and the company I work for does have a 401k so hopefully I can get something going in the next 20-25 years so I can retire in a house instead of a canopy or something.

Don't get me wrong, I think I got pretty lucky with everything, but I worked my ass off too. I didn't know what else to do.... (It has been a hell of a couple years)

Right after school is different than someone in their 30's (or g**d forbid older) who wants to change careers.

I am at the point where I need to start over but lucky that I have substantial savings and don't need to take one dime from the gov't.

However, it seems that finding a job is not possible if you aren't just out of high school or older than say 25. If you are at that age it seems that things are overlooked say a few misdemeanors involving assault or drugs or a few DWI's are expected as long as the applicant is a fresher.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Erik in Sweet Home, Oregon said:
I don't know what's available where you live, but I took a 3 months, full time class on HVAC installation, for about $1700 at Portland Community College and feel that it gave me a HUGE leg up. Like I say, I started doing service after about 6 or 7 months of install (I worked for another company for about 3 months before I got this job) and although I don't know a whole lot about alot of stuff out there, it's fun learning and I can usually hold my own. I'm taking my NATE test at the beginning of February that supposedly will get me another raise. I started at $12 per hour, and I now make $18. Not as much as I used to make, but I am working full time, and I like it.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide to try. Starting over at 26 has got to be easier than 40, but even then, it's not too late.

Its too bad that nothing like that is offered here in the New England area only schools like Porter & Chester or Kaplan that want $26,000 but promise you the moon & sun in terms of job offers. One of the counselors at the one stop career centers here in MA told me basically that I am "Wasting my time" if I think I can change careers at my age because I already have a BA degree in an unrelated field. Like I said I am not expecting or taking one dime of gov't money or aid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Erik in Sweet Home, Oregon said:
I don't know what's available where you live, but I took a 3 months, full time class on HVAC installation, for about $1700 at Portland Community College and feel that it gave me a HUGE leg up. Like I say, I started doing service after about 6 or 7 months of install (I worked for another company for about 3 months before I got this job) and although I don't know a whole lot about alot of stuff out there, it's fun learning and I can usually hold my own.

Its too bad that nothing like that is offered here in the New England area only schools like Porter & Chester or Kaplan that want $26,000 but promise you the moon & sun in terms of job offers. One of the counselors at the one stop career centers here in MA told me basically that I am "Wasting my time" if I think I can change careers at my age because I already have a BA degree in an unrelated field. Like I said I am not expecting or taking one dime of gov't money or aid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

chuckie40 in Lawrenceville, Georgia said: hey i am 45 is it too late for me to consider hvac. thanking about it but what i am reading here is scary to say the least. should i reconsider this path.

Yes 45 is like 65 now a days. Remember that people hire those who they are comfortable around

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bmattey in Palatine, Illinois

56 months ago

I'm 30 and been in the painting and remodeling trade for 10 yrs now. and I've been unemployed for acouple monthes now. I have a wife and two kids Gotta do something and Getting HVAC cert. is the way to go i think. Is IT? I have basic knowledge of it already, i will be an all a round type guy. I love hands on stuff and this is my next career path. Any info on thoughts and price ranges for the chicagoland area??

darkdaddy in Panama City, Florida

55 months ago

brooklyn ny in Brooklyn, New York said: i'm a stupid stoner who thought this would be an easy job. I signed up for a 2 year training in college. but after reading these comments, i feel like a stupid dumbass. i wish i wasn't such a dumb stoner

Admitting your problem is the first step don't give up...

55 months ago

admitting you problem is the first step good luck...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

I'm in school for HVAC and I love it. I'm have a plan when I get out of school that no one seem to notice I'm going to do Havc in strip clubs!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

I just want to say to anyone listening out there...... Look Hvac can be hard but you got to ask yourself this... Can I do it..can I work the hours and get a name for myself... See If you believe in yourself you can make it in this trade... Like any other job you will have good days and bad ones..... Keep wondering ask questions always be willing to learn that's all it takes... You can do it if you really want it...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Bmattey in Palatine, Illinois said: I'm 30 and been in the painting and remodeling trade for 10 yrs now. and I've been unemployed for acouple monthes now. I have a wife and two kids Gotta do something and Getting HVAC cert. is the way to go i think. Is IT? I have basic knowledge of it already, i will be an all a round type guy. I love hands on stuff and this is my next career path. Any info on thoughts and price ranges for the chicagoland area??

I dont know but you seem to have the drive to make it happen I think you're going to be okay...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

darkdaddy in Panama City, Florida said: I just want to say to anyone listening out there...... Look Hvac can be hard but you got to ask yourself this... Can I do it..can I work the hours and get a name for myself... See If you believe in yourself you can make it in this trade... Like any other job you will have good days and bad ones..... Keep wondering ask questions always be willing to learn that's all it takes... You can do it if you really want it...

That is really nice but you have to get someone to hire you first (which may be hard if you are older than 20 and don't have experience).

Your comment sounds like baseless hedonistic wishful thinking. Wishful & positive thinking is nice but not reality and won't pay the bills

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jackomatick in Baltimore, Maryland

55 months ago

Daytondave in Dayton, Ohio said: Those pay rates seem totally off the scale for anything i have seen in my area/state. Maybe im misunderstanding you but you are saying a new guy in your area can make $14 a hour, and a guy with a few years experience under his belt can get $30 a hour? A new guy/apprentice in my city/state, it seems like they only want to pay you minimum wage (if that!) like 7 bucks a hour. Ive talked to guys who have been doing it for 4-5 years and are finally getting up to around 14-15 a hour-if they are with a good company. 30 bucks a hour? Not around here. It is very discouraging for the new guy starting out when he is offered a job at such low wages. Hey, i understand that you cant start out on the top of the pay scale and i dont expect to but then again who on earth can honestly make a living on $7 a hour with no insurance benefits? Walmart pays better than that.
Maybe im wrong but damn, i only wish they would pay what you are quoting in my state. Things are hard right now, $14 bucks a hour would be a dream come true for many guys i know.
Im sorry if i sound like im venting or being rude, and im not trying to dispute what you are saying. Its just the way the economy is these days and seeing so many people out of work that really gets to me at times.
you're absolutely correct. the pay scale sucks. been doing this for over 15 yrs after graduating from lincoln tech (NJ) (great school) and after busting my but installing and repairing equipment and working long hours, only being offered at big companies 24.00 an hour is total bs. And by the way, what's with the hourly pay as opposed to the salaried pay. Many people in many other professions and skills make 60,000 to 80,000 plus after 10 yrs. But an hvac you're looking at 55,000 max. THAT REALY SUCKS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jackomatick in Baltimore, Maryland

55 months ago

Bryan Bans in Knoxville, Tennessee said: Quick question for folks involved in the trade. How much will a background in sales help in HVAC? I have a history of residential and low-voltage electrical but the majority of my professional work history has been in sales and management. I am looking to make a career change and HVAC has always interested me. I've read a few posts describing how techs are sometimes involved in sales and I'd love to hear your thoughts about it. Thank you for taking the time to read and respond!

many of those techs that do on site sales, for example, you go on a no heat or no ac call and the unit looks a little bit older or is an 8 year old heat pump, even though its repairable, the sales tech condemns the unit and bull sh!tz the costumer into getting a new system installed. Those sales techs and business owners with no heart or morals are sick. many companies stay in business from doing this and they hint to the service tech that if they want a job or a raise then they have to do this. some techs are eager to do this because they get better treatment if they do and because they get paid crap for working their a$$e$ off. So a few hundred extra a week what the heck. I've worked for a mid sized company for over six years that did this and a few service techs went with it but most did not. Its a tough position to be in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

apositiveenergy in Collegeville, Pennsylvania

54 months ago

This does happen in the industry, just like any other, there is greed. Many times the unit is old, and the customer will benifit from the efficiency savings, and service calls by replacing the unit now. This is where a good salesman kicks in, some guys think if they don't just fix it , they are doing the customer a dis-service, not always true at all. a well seasoned tech knows when to show and convince the customer of an educated decision. And guess what happens durring the next service call if you didn't, the next tech made the proper sale, not you. So yes, sales does come into play, but it is a little different then retail or car sales. It involves gaining trust, some morals, and a working knowledge of the trade to sell correctly.

mr. red in Highland Mills, New York

54 months ago

im currently going to school for HVAC at SUNY Delhi in Upstate NY, before I decided that i was going there, I had the Dean of Admissions, the financial aid people, both of my advisors and numerous people in the trade tell me i would have absolutely no problem finding a job before i graduate, now me being a naive high schooler at the time i said sign me up, after reading this and searching craigslist and job listing websites saying 5+ year experience a must, anything less need not apply it is incredibly disheartening seeing that employers are not breaking down the door to hire me. now i know that wouldnt of happened regardless of the field i chose, but i am legitimately scared that i will not be able to find a job within the six month grace period given to me by the college before i have to start repaying my loans, after may 21, 2011 i will be 25 grand in debt to the govt of the united states. now that may not seem like a lot to some people but that is a staggering number to me, i really hope that i find something remotely related to my field or else i will lose my mind

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

apositiveenergy in Collegeville, Pennsylvania

54 months ago

The "old heads" in this industry are always talking about the new generation not having a fire under thier azz..You seem to have one, the new guys that learn quickly, fight for thier raises, and keep learning are few and far between. The young guy with little to no knowledge, and just want a job are a dime a dozen. Keep the fire burning, and you will be ok, hvac is a good trade, and you are going into it at the right time, while you are young. It is a life, and will take hard work, but I never minded that much. If you liked the science, and problem solving you were introduced to, you will like your trade. If you are a natural leader, a small company will give you the most ops for promotion, if not , a union or big shop might make you more money in the next decade. These are just quotes from my carear in Pa. HVAC has problems with payscale, and so does many other trades, I always proved myself, and did not care what the other guys were getting paid, and promised not to tell them what i was getting paid, after I proved mysylf, respectfully demanded more $, and recieved it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Really? I thought the 'young guys' with little or new experience have employers tripping over them to bring them on board even with a questionable background check (misdemeanor or felony assault or DUI = No Problem) and those who are the old heads (anyone over the age of 35) cannot find work if they aren't working.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.