HVAC Tech to HVAC Engineer.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Dylan Mendes in Binghamton, New York

34 months ago

If you actually mean a certified engineer you must obtain a 4 year degree from an ABET accredited program. The degree is almost always in the field of Mechanical engineering and not usually referred to as an HVAC engineer.You will find that the classes you take as a ME have nothing to do with what you do in the field of HVAC, maybe in some degree your Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics class (but not really).There is a large difference between a tech and engineer in terms of schooling, the courses required to become a ME require many upper level math courses along with a slew of mechanics courses(basically physics with engineering principals thrown in Statics,Dynamics,Strength of materials and so on). This is the only official way to become a true engineer and the only true way to eventually (with work experience) to become a PE(Professional engineer). A tech can preform CAD assignments but and engineer can crimp, stamp, and sign and to be honest that is where the real money is. If you meant some one who installs the HVAC equipment there are a number of trade schools to attend. Email me if you any questions about the feild, I have worked for a prominent MEP(Mechanical,Electrical, Plumbing) firm in NYC. dylanmendes1@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mukesh in Calgary, Alberta

11 months ago

First of all thanks for the kind information you provided already. I am a service HVAC technician and want o become an engineer.I could not find the university that provides the HVAC engineering. Please let me know if you know any.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.