IS HVAC EASY TO LEARN?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Moneyblac in Houston, Texas

44 months ago

Im debating on whether or not i want to get into the hvac trade in school.i took a tour around a school where thet do hvac work,and fixing AC/heaters and refrigeraters seem hard to do because you have to learn how to connect wires and you have to take stuff apart and remember how it back together.u also have to learn how to grind and meeasure parts.i there's great money to be made out there in the field,but i don't know if i can be good at it.......do u have to be an expert to be a good hvac technician/installer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Bellingham, Washington

44 months ago

Moneyblac in Houston, Texas said: Im debating on whether or not i want to get into the hvac trade in school.i took a tour around a school where thet do hvac work,and fixing AC/heaters and refrigeraters seem hard to do because you have to learn how to connect wires and you have to take stuff apart and remember how it back together.u also have to learn how to grind and meeasure parts.i there's great money to be made out there in the field,but i don't know if i can be good at it.......do u have to be an expert to be a good hvac technician/installer?

I just got out of my first quarter at the hvac tech school, and it was Very hard. I have a BA and none of my classes I had to take prior to this school were as hard as this. However, they say the first quarter is far and away the hardest, so if you can get passed that, you are set.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mac in Santa Monica, California

43 months ago

I'm in a tech school and I'm in my first phase were learning about safety basic math tools rigging and communications all seems pretty easy now maybe in te later phases it will begin to get difficult !!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mitch from Illinois in Crest Hill, Illinois

42 months ago

Dude, its all super hard

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

42 months ago

Many of these 'Trade Schools' for HVAC are scams. Do not pay $20,000 for a 5 month HVAC problem where the 'admission representatives' blow smoke up your arse about finding employment. I inquired at one school Porter & Chester. The guy wearing the $200 suit & $20 dress shirt (both which look like came from Sears or JC Penny) kept blowing so much smoke I thought I was in a subprime used car lot.

And if you are older than 20 -- it is too old to get in. Kids in their early 20's are scooped up with just a community college education even if they have prior arrest records for such things as Assault & DWIs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

617 frm WEBSTER MA in Auburn, Massachusetts

39 months ago

HVAC&R is a difficult field but at the same time it is fun, very extensive,interesting as far as old antique equipements and ways that they break and you have to dismantle mechanically, electrically and repair it and re modify it since a lot of companies are out of bussiness or the part is OEM and too expensive so you have to find a cheap effecient solution. Bottum line is if you believe you can be good at it, you have to put time in it and fight for it cause you got to have large set of balls to walk in the field lol then you'll do well. Next step, once school over is to find a co., that is willing to invest in you and teach you the field and shortcuts of install and service work.
If your good with your hands, you know electrical very well and good mechanically youll be fine honestly. im 23 yrs young and been in the field 3-4 years on and off so its not bad, pay good, work is always busy!!

goodluck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.