hard to find hvac techs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

med richards in palestine, Texas

43 months ago

i have worked in this field since i was 16. i started in attics and under houses. i went to school, got out and made crap wages for several years. persistance seems to have paid off. i now own my own business, but i have a hard time finding qualified techs or even techs fresh out of school. in texas the wages aren't super high but it is easy for a tech to make $50k and the cost of living is less than in most places. anybody willing to move to texas and work your butt off can make $$$$ in my hot state.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Theodore Johnson in Hickory, North Carolina

43 months ago

med richards in palestine, Texas said: i have worked in this field since i was 16. i started in attics and under houses. i went to school, got out and made crap wages for several years. persistance seems to have paid off. i now own my own business , but i have a hard time finding qualified techs or even techs fresh out of school. in texas the wages aren't super high but it is easy for a tech to make $50k and the cost of living is less than in most places. anybody willing to move to texas and work your butt off can make $$$$ in my hot state.

I'm trying to move to Texas because in May 2011, I suppose to start going to college for HVAC diploma but I wanted to know is 37 too old for this occupation, but I'll move there if the 50k is correct in a few years?My email address is shameal2003@yahoo.com or how do I contact you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

the only problem with 37 is that once you get out of school, you'll make about $15/hr. once you have picked it up, you can make what you want pretty much. i know that from my own experience that it is very hard to even pay bills on those wages, but anything worth having is work. med_richards@hotmail.com stay in touch and come visit when you get moved. where are you moving to, what school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Theodore in Hickory, North Carolina

43 months ago

I'm moving to Hickory,NC and i'm going to community college for HVAC and hopefully will make something out of it and get over twenty dollars an hours in 5 years or less. But thank you for the advise and I'll look into it more because the salary caluator here is saying its 31,000 for the average HVAC technician here.

43 months ago

biggest tip i can give, do not settle for where you work. find a company that will allow you to make what you want. what i mean is, find a company that has incentives set up. they should have a planned service system up and running and also offer spiffs for new equipment sales with bonuses for productivity. you add all that up and you get a lot more $$$. most ac companies have a hard time growing because they are affraid to pay for the technician to be proud of his job. good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Thank you for the advise but I cant press that hard because I'm a convicted felon looking for a chance at a good paying career because I'm tired of selling drugs and I'm trying to make a future for me but, do you know if Indiana, is a good state for HVAC techs because my daughters godmother stays there?I just want a career that makes me happy and to make a decent living, is a HVAC tech, the one? Thanks again for the support.

43 months ago

any career is a good one that will be very good for you with the right attitude. however, the convicted felon is the hard part. in texas, the state does a background check for all techs entering a residence. i don't know what other states are doing. good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Does that mean I should go on the commerical side of HVAC because my background would show my conviction for drugs like distribution and thats all. Would that make residence work not possible for me? Or basically should I look into something else as a career, can you help with more advise?

43 months ago

can't speak for other states, but commercial in texas would be ok for you. residential maybe hard for you to get into with the felony conviction. laws are very restrictive today.

43 months ago

pick a career and stick with it, work your ass off, and it will pay off. you made choices that have effected your life. now it's time to make choices that affect your life. you CHOOSE what you want to do and do it. don't let others tell you what you want or should do. good luck.

43 months ago

Thank you for the help, med richards I'm just need a another chance to proof myself and move on with my life, i know now its other things to do in life and a good career is on e of those things, thank you again!!!!!!!!!!

Sam Naquin in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

39 months ago

med richards in palestine, Texas said: i have worked in this field since i was 16. i started in attics and under houses. i went to school, got out and made crap wages for several years. persistance seems to have paid off. i now own my own business, but i have a hard time finding qualified techs or even techs fresh out of school. in texas the wages aren't super high but it is easy for a tech to make $50k and the cost of living is less than in most places. anybody willing to move to texas and work your butt off can make $$$$ in my hot state.[/QUOTE
Exp.in Resid.,Comm.,Ind.,and Marine- started working as a tech in 1998. For the right person with experience,how much pay you really talking about.I currently make 20 per hour and when the season is hot I make 30 hours over time each weeks when I'm not on call.I'm not proud of those hours,I would like more time at home but just wondering. Let me add that this is residential and light Commercial only.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.