hard to find someone who will hire coming out of school

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 199)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

60 months ago

tom in Wood River, Illinois said: i keep repeating the same thing because you keep talking about things that have nothing to do with what i've said to you.
you haven't asked me anything but wether or not i've taken some test, and since i didn't answer you, you are assuming i have a very low skill level related to HVAC?
and that makes sense to you? lol
i notice you said almost every time you get into a debate with someone "the other guy turns it into a childish back and fourth" thing.
i'm thinking maybe you're the one who's responsible for that lol.

I am looking to get into this because I am looking for a career change. All I encounter is negativity on how my age and degree in an unrelated field means I am wasting my time (I am 35), and of course the schools and others that want to sell training with their pie in the sky claims and outrageous prices that they encourage you to seek the assistance of the unemployment office or federal loans (having tax payer money line their pockets), and the lack of not only entry level positions but the attitude from employers is that if you are not a 110% match in terms of experience, industry & other requirements don't bother applying.
And employers don't give a rats arse where & how you got your training, they only care if you meet 110% of the requirements in their ad

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Isehara, Japan

60 months ago

Have any of you tried the manufacturers or distributor for the mfg? I got 2 hits in the states from them, one in Asia as a service manager etc. You know anything about refrigeration? can you fix a beverage dispensor etc? I mean I dont get it, seems you got yourself into a rut and dont know how to get out of it. They aint going to hire a loser or dummy you know, but if you got certs and experience, many are looking, maybe not your state or country but they are out there.You say you got an advanced degree and all that, I dont got that and I get hits. To the tom kid, I can understand your situation, your just lacking sense, and youll stay where your at probally for a long time, but for others, I mean if your willing to move around there is work out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Mike in Isehara, Japan said: Have any of you tried the manufacturers or distributor for the mfg? I got 2 hits in the states from them, one in Asia as a service manager etc. You know anything about refrigeration? can you fix a beverage dispensor etc? I mean I dont get it, seems you got yourself into a rut and dont know how to get out of it. They aint going to hire a loser or dummy you know, but if you got certs and experience, many are looking, maybe not your state or country but they are out there.You say you got an advanced degree and all that, I dont got that and I get hits. To the tom kid, I can understand your situation, your just lacking sense, and youll stay where your at probally for a long time, but for others, I mean if your willing to move around there is work out there.

You really must believe the Hopium put out by CNBC. If there really is such large amount of work out there that cannot be completed (because of lack of qualified people) why is unemployment in the USA at 9.6% and even higher in the trades??
And getting a job (even in this field I assume) isn't about going door to door like 20 years ago. You have to apply online if your experience & skills & industry don't match 110% your resume won't likely ever be seen.
These trade schools, 'career counselors' at the UE office & CNBC / CNN keep filling the airwaves with hopium about how there is so much work out there that can't be completed because of lack of qualified individuals

60 months ago

Mike in Isehara, Japan said: What?
I said I had an offer from two distributors in the USA, not from CNN you moron. wtf is wrong with you people? You deserve to be in your rut dude. Get off your azz and do something with yourself.

I cannot even comprehend your statement to waste time commenting on it. I am not even receiving Unemployment because I have a very large savings & inheritance -- I am also searching every day for work in my field and hold myself accountable.

With that being said, What I said before is that you are smoking the hopium coming from CNN & CNBC about all these jobs when unemployment is stuck between 9.5% - 10%. Are you implying that no one who applies is qualified?? You haven't answered that nor have you answered how one goes about finding a job when every job positing has a standard online application process that if you don't meet the requirements 110% (industry, years of experience, type of experience0 you resume DOES NOT GET SEEN.
Instead of putting down others, why not offer constructive advice rather than being on this arrogant power trip

60 months ago

Mike in Isehara, Japan said: What?
I said I had an offer from two distributors in the USA, not from CNN you moron. wtf is wrong with you people? You deserve to be in your rut dude. Get off your azz and do something with yourself.

You got a job offer from a company in the USA?? without an interview?? really??? I guess anyone who can write a decent resume and can BS hard enough can get an offer then..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Isehara, Japan

60 months ago

"I cannot even comprehend your statement to waste time commenting on it."

Very well put. your level of comprehension is really quite low Im afraid, the advanced degree didnt help that much, but you run into that allot. Ill try to break it down for ya so it might make sense, but Im probally wasting my time:

1) CNN is irrelevant to me as I dont watch it and they dont employ me. I contact the MFG directly, not through some online nonsense as you mentioned.

2) Companies see people like you everyday. People who are incabable of thinking outside the box. You do what everybody else is doing and you lack initiative. you need a school to train you and complain if you dont get what you think you deserve

3) There are jobs out there. If I can find them from overseas, your obvisouly doing something wrong. Stop with your excuses if your not happy with your situation, if you are happy, save the lecture because you dont know what your talking about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tom in Wood River, Illinois

60 months ago

Mike in Isehara, Japan said: your level of comprehension is really quite low Im afraid,

i don't think you have any right to tell someone they have poor reading comprehension.
going back and reading through this thread and seeing your responses makes me wonder if you even graduated from 8th grade lol

Mike in Isehara, Japan

60 months ago

"Yeah, I hear you. As I read your post I was thinking about all the stuff you didn't mention: A squedge tool (however you spell that), clamp meter, a stomp shear and a brake and a place to put them, pipe threader, a computer, a business phone, multiple gauge sets, and most of all, CUSTOMERS. "

Thats no brainer stuff. You will need or must outsource:

Call center staff
Marketing/Sales
Techs
Accounting
parts/inventory
training
vaccum pumps
recovery tanks
nitrogen
actylene/oxy set
-or-mapp gas etc
freon
truck/van with power gate
client accounts, service contracts, contacts
tubing
insurance

the crap you mentioned you can get on ebay used or a chinese distributor for hardly nothing. Swagging tools? lol. Most people use the racheting set now. meggars, clamp meters, etc you can find cheap. I already got all that stuff.

60 months ago

Mike in Isehara, Japan said: and given your reponses it seems you also are unable to comprehend much of anything, so you resort to 8th grade tatics.

But enough of the tit for tat crap, I put out there what worked for me, challenging as it was to reach you. If you have anything to help anybody, put it up, otherwise your just wasting time.

what responses of mine are so bad?
you just jumped into the middle of things here and immediately started calling me stupid for going to some 3 month tech school program. and i didn't even say anything about going to a 3 month program. you just assumed that's what i meant, and called me a stupid for doing it. because you're a moron.
then you proceed - after i corrected you, without apologizing, to just start rambling on about sh*t that doesn't even pertain to anything i said, told me i was "talking out of my a**" when i really had only talked about the school i went to and nothing else, and began telling me and everyone else who came into the conversation that we "don't know anything and are talking out of our a**e$"
and now when someone finally dismisses you for the ignoramus that you've proven yourself to the world to be here today, you say that WE'RE the ones who "resort to 8th grade tactics" LOL.
yeah..... ok einstein LOL
i remember you mentioned that every time you get on here it comes down to an immature arguing match. like i've told you before - you need to look inwards, and TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for that, instead of trying to project the blame for your pi$$ poor communication skills onto everyone else around you. i would imagine just about every interaction you have with other human beings is an exercise in patience for whomever the poor soul is that ends up talking to you lol.
also - you mentioned that you wish you'd have chosen another career path because there are "so many immature people in HVAC" ....well.... please- be my guest and run along - it won't break my heart one bit lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Isehara, Japan

60 months ago

touchy bunch....lol. hate to see how you would react in some of the enviroments I been in. anyhow, good luck to you kid, I think your guilty of the same things you accuse me of, but to young or inexperienced to even see it. last comment from me on this topic.

60 months ago

Mike in Isehara, Japan said: touchy bunch....lol. hate to see how you would react in some of the enviroments I been in. anyhow, good luck to you kid, I think your guilty of the same things you accuse me of, but to young or inexperienced to even see it. last comment from me on this topic.

here's a good example.
you don't even know how old i am or WHAT kind of work experience i have, and you're telling me i'm "too young to see" lol
you should try not to pre-judge people based on your own preconceptions of the world and your past experiences. hasty generalizations serve no purpose but make you look less intelligent.

John in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

60 months ago

Sheesh... I don't visit the board for a weekend and all hell breaks loose... lol!

Anyway... the situation is this. There are almost NO entry-level jobs available in the HVAC field, unless you want to install for minimum wage and you can do that without wasting money on school. I paid $12,000 (a bargain compared to what I've seen here, I guess) and it got me basically nowhere. The schools are built on hype; they advertise outlandishly-high placement rates but in reality, once they have your money that all goes out the window. That in itself is not limited to the HVAC trade; it seems that all of these "specialty" schools do the same thing. They need to be held accountable for their false advertising.

The person who said to forget HVAC and get into an in-demand field has a good point. You won't pay much more for a degree in something else (say computers/IT) and it will get you further in the long run, without having to destroy your body in the process. Consider this- most of us will have to work until we are AT LEAST 65-70. How many of you think you can still carry compressors, climb ladders and hang ductwork at 65, let alone 70?

60 months ago

John in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Sheesh... I don't visit the board for a weekend and all hell breaks loose... lol!

Anyway... the situation is this. There are almost NO entry-level jobs available in the HVAC field, unless you want to install for minimum wage and you can do that without wasting money on school. I paid $12,000 (a bargain compared to what I've seen here, I guess) and it got me basically nowhere. The schools are built on hype; they advertise outlandishly-high placement rates but in reality, once they have your money that all goes out the window. That in itself is not limited to the HVAC trade; it seems that all of these "specialty" schools do the same thing. They need to be held accountable for their false advertising.

I am not even in HVAC and was able to figure this out especially these 'admission & career' reps at many of these schools & institutes who are more like the Subprime Used Car dealers and may be better suited for working Subprime auto financing or selling on the used car lot.

What is worse is that taxpayer money is being used for funding 'retraining' which for all we know is retraining for nothing because in todays economy no employer will hire someone who is A) Unemployed for any period of time or B) Does not have a linear career path in the field.

Then we have people coming on here saying if you just 'sell yourself' aka BS you can start at some high rate even if you don't have 110% of the requirements and you don't even need to apply online like every single job requires

60 months ago

yes it's bad out there right now, and yes the employers that are out there are extremely picky, and even though i am disappointed that i haven't been able to land a job doing HVAC out of school this summer, and i'm kind of regretting borrowing so much to go to school, i can't really say that i'm regretful about going to school for HVAC.
let's say i get a job in some manufacturing facility somewhere in a few years - having a degree in HVAC will give me qualifications to be able to get into maintenance there, or maybe a hospital or something someday.
or if nothing else - go into business for myself when i have enough equipment to do so and debt paid off. i'm fully confident that i have the knowledge to do that to be honest. and i should have - i have a college degree in HVAC for cryin out loud lol.
it wasn't an all together bad decision to go to school for HVAC, i just wish i didn't have to borrow so much to do it. i should have just went to the community college for 8 grand instead of the big fancy "technical college" thinking they would hook me up with a job lol.

Big Mike in Monroeville, Pennsylvania

59 months ago

I went to triangle tech for 16 months and i still cant find a job. these tech schools fill ur heads with promise but in the end don't deliver after they teach you alot of skills you don't need

Roxormcpwnage in Moreno Valley, California

59 months ago

This forum has now turned into a bitchfest, totally missing what original posters posted.

bluesky12 in Liberty, Missouri

58 months ago

After reading this thread, I too have to say I am a bit discouraged with the "promise" of working in HVAC! Seems no jobs exist but everywhere I look, I see "XXXXXX Heating & Cooling" vans running around - so the need has to be there. I will say that during the course of my schooling, at least my instructors were saying new installs were slow. But, they indicated a good service tech should be able to find service work and that the market would support gainful employment for school graduates.

I too have tried a lot of the previously mentioned methods of getting the "entry level" HVAC position with no luck. Worked apartment maintenance recently to gain HVAC experience - got experience working on 40 year old Lennox electric equipment. Also got experience clearing clogged toilets, hanging window blinds, fixing door locks and the like. Really, my interest lies in pure HVAC work, not general maintenance. I am just doing what I have to do at this point to get the experience!

My technical school just called to follow up on my employment status since graduation. I am going to see if they can help me locate an area company that will allow me time to get the 2 - 5 years "required" experience. Doesn't sound like I have much hope there from what others have said though. I have not went that route yet.

One thing about it - you have to develop a thick skin and perservere. I have heard a lot of "No - not hiring" or just not responses. HVAC - much like many other fields isn't for everybody. I think it takes a person of character who takes pride when that furnace, heat pump, air handler or a/c unit begins working again for the apartment reseident or homeowner.

Like many of you others out there, it hasn't paid off for me yet but I am sure hoping it will!

Best of luck to all:-)

Amy in Springfield, Missouri

58 months ago

Does anyone know of an experienced HVAC Technician/Installer or a Sheet Metal Worker that is looking for a job in the Springfield, Missouri area? Our family company is starting a large commmercial install next week and our installer was a no call no show.

Thank you for your help!

antonio in La Puente, California

58 months ago

Im coming out of school and for months and i was wondering what steps do i take to being hired as a entry level tech yes my school say they will help me find a job but i dont depend on no one to do anything for me so do anybody have any tips for me?Should i start looking for hvac-r jobs now or wait till i finish school?Im located in the southern california area

antonio in La Puente, California

58 months ago

antonio in La Puente, California said: Im coming out of school and for months and i was wondering what steps do i take to being hired as a entry level tech yes my school say they will help me find a job but i dont depend on no one to do anything for me so do anybody have any tips for me?Should i start looking for hvac-r jobs now or wait till i finish school?Im located in the southern california area

i mean four months

unknown in Ozark, Arkansas

57 months ago

Charlene Barnett in Cincinnati, Ohio said: I feel your pain. I have been going to school going on my second year in HVAC. I can't sean to find a job nether. Whats hard for me, I think, I'm a women trying to get into the feild. I'm looking to an employer to just give me a foot in and I know I can do it.

I have went for the same 2yrdegree nothing here either the instructor told the class the first day shouldnt have any problems finding anything.Boy oh Boy was I a sucker did all my work and the instructor didnt do his job very well his ideas were read strait from a book and "GO Figure it out" So i complained about it seen the man a few days ago still teaching class taking money from hard working people.Sometimes I think there is crook on every corner.What beat all the man helped a guy that never showed up for class and didnt do his work.The school really amazed me to put a person like that to promote education.I feel like i could have done better not even going to school for that and just workin underneath someone and reading stuff off the internet.Matter of fact could have read off the back of a cracker jac box.Just be sure there is a good instrutor before you pay the money.I feel like i need a refund. Come to find out this man has his own buissness in the area he regulates who gets a job and who doesnt it is pretty sad to say this place in Arkansas calls theirselves a University.

Fredrick in Yokohama, Japan

57 months ago

Crazyronnie

54 months ago

So going to school for this isn't good right now am a cable installer stay with that

Adam Rollins in Corinth, New York

54 months ago

I'm considering going to college this fall to become an HVAC technician. Is there anyone who lives up this way who can tell me having this career is like? I would appreciate any comments or advice.

tom in Lake Mary, Florida

54 months ago

the post by tiffany is evidence in plain black and white as to how much these scumbags in these "technical colleges" are willing to lie to people to get them to borrow money and come to their school.
the bottom line is this = IF YOU CANT GET A JOB DOING THIS BEFORE YOU GO TO SCHOOL FOR IT YOU WONT GET A JOB DOING IT AFTER YOU GRADUATE EITHER!!! NOBODY WILL HIRE ANYONE WITH ANY LESS THAN 3 YEARS EXPERIENCE AND SCHOOL DOES NOT COUNT AS EXPERIENCE!!!
WISE UP AND GO INTO HEALTHCARE, INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY, OR TRUCK DRIVING LOL

54 months ago

tom in Lake Mary, Florida said: the post by tiffany is evidence in plain black and white as to how much these scumbags in these "technical colleges" are willing to lie to people to get them to borrow money and come to their school.
the bottom line is this = IF YOU CANT GET A JOB DOING THIS BEFORE YOU GO TO SCHOOL FOR IT YOU WONT GET A JOB DOING IT AFTER YOU GRADUATE EITHER!!! NOBODY WILL HIRE ANYONE WITH ANY LESS THAN 3 YEARS EXPERIENCE AND SCHOOL DOES NOT COUNT AS EXPERIENCE!!!
WISE UP AND GO INTO HEALTHCARE, INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY, OR TRUCK DRIVING LOL

I agree plus the fact that going to school full time when you are older or changing careers is still looked at as being unemployed so you have to explain a gap in employment... People cannot see the big picture & HR/Recruiters can't think outside their policy box

Rob in Randolph, Massachusetts

53 months ago

Jeff Brown in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I also went to school for HVAC, and cant get a job to save my life. All these companies want experience, but how can we get eperience if we cant even get a chance. being HVAC certified and having youre EPA certs means absolutely nothing!

I totally agree.I graduated at the top of my class in school. I also have my EPA universal and feel that I am very knowledgeable and handy with the hvac field but cannot get a job to save my life either. Everyone wants 3-5 yrs experience. WTF how am i suppose to get that unless someone hires me.

noname@yahoo.com in Columbus, Ohio

52 months ago

Charlene Barnett in Cincinnati, Ohio said: I feel your pain. I have been going to school going on my second year in HVAC. I can't sean to find a job nether. Whats hard for me, I think, I'm a women trying to get into the feild. I'm looking to an employer to just give me a foot in and I know I can do it.

Charlene

I read your story and I agree.I went to school for 2yrs.and graduated
and can't get any company to give me a chance to show them how good
I am.The schooling was a joke and a waste of my time.And the HVAC
industry is a joke too.Good luck.

CHRISTIAN in Baytown, Texas

51 months ago

I DON'T THINK THAT MOST OF YOU ARE TRYING HARD ENOUGH TO FIND WORK.I KNOW THAT THERE IS WORK IN TEXAS FOR AN HVAC TECHNICIAN.YOU HAVE INDUSTRIAL AND RESIDENTIAL WORK EVERYWHERE. I'AM GOING TO GET MY CERTIFICATION TO BE A HVAC TECH. IJUST CAN'T BELIEVE EVERYBODY IS HAVING SUCH A HARD TIME FINDING EMPLOYMENT. YOU JUST HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO ADVERTISE, LET PEOPLE KNOW WHAT YOU CAN DO. YOU ARE ON THE INTERNET SOMEBODY GIVE YOU A CHANCE IF ONLY YOU LET PEOPLE KNOW YOU ARE OUT THERE. I CAN'T WAIT TO GET MY CERTIFICATE! I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU BUT I'AM A GO GETTER, A REAL HUSTLER! YOU ARE SITTING RIGHT IN FRONT OF SOMETHING YOU ARE NOT USING PROPERLY THAT CAN MAKE YOU ALOT OF MONEY, AND YOU CAN'T SEE TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT.

Billy in San Jose, California

51 months ago

Jeff Brown in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I also went to school for HVAC, and cant get a job to save my life. All these companies want experience, but how can we get eperience if we cant even get a chance. being HVAC certified and having youre EPA certs means absolutely nothing!

agreed. I went to school out in Nevada. But moved back to california. Most of the companies wanted 5 years experience minimum. I had to go into a completly different industry. Waiting to go back to las Vegas I'm hopes of finding a good paying hvac job.

MIke in Deltona, Florida

50 months ago

Does anyone know how to get into the HVAC field? I have personal but no professional experience. I don't trust these expensive schools. Not that I'm opposed to training, but I just know after taking all my time and money, these schools aren't going to help me get into this field. I don't have any drawbacks, like a suspended license or criminal history. I have offered to work as a helper, heck, I've even offered to work for free just to get my foot in the door. NO ONE will touch me! Does anyone have any suggestions?

John in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

50 months ago

MIke in Deltona, Florida said: Does anyone know how to get into the HVAC field? I have personal but no professional experience. I don't trust these expensive schools. Not that I'm opposed to training, but I just know after taking all my time and money, these schools aren't going to help me get into this field. I don't have any drawbacks, like a suspended license or criminal history. I have offered to work as a helper, heck, I've even offered to work for free just to get my foot in the door. NO ONE will touch me! Does anyone have any suggestions?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is basically NO entry-level work in the HVAC field right now. Unless you have experience you're not going to get hired, and the schools have scammed so many people into taking HVAC courses that the market is saturated with recent graduates as well. My advice would be to find something else entirely. College is the biggest scam ever perpetrated on the American public, but in spite of that, it's a necessary evil if you want to have any kind of life today.

michaelwilson567 in Deltona, Florida

50 months ago

Thank you for your input. I was afraid of that.

Timma in Wichita, Kansas

50 months ago

Eric in Lowell, Massachusetts said: I have been in HVAC for 7 years now, and I think it sucks. Any constuction job I do not recommend. It is an abuse on your body and health I recommend getting a desk job, retirement age is going up and up, can you climb ladders and hang duct work at age 67? can you sit behind a desk at age 67?

wus.

50 months ago

John in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is basically NO entry-level work in the HVAC field right now. Unless you have experience you're not going to get hired, and the schools have scammed so many people into taking HVAC courses that the market is saturated with recent graduates as well. My advice would be to find something else entirely. College is the biggest scam ever perpetrated on the American public, but in spite of that, it's a necessary evil if you want to have any kind of life today.

Its like that in most fields and worse if you are a 'career changer' or older than say 25.

HVAC Technicians NEEDED! in Washington, District of Columbia

49 months ago

The Louis Berger Group is looking for certified HVAC techs with a secret clearance. If you or someone you konw is interested in finding out more about this amazing opportunity please contact tsawyers@louisberger.com or visit our website at www.louisberger.com

stefan in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

49 months ago

Well you guys not finding work with little or no experience, i cannot find it either and i have 22 years experience as a service tech. got laid off when the owner sold the company to a guy who never did hvac in his life, he is just a business man looking to make profit so he kept the guys that have been there 22 an 16 years, and the guys that are there 1 to 3 years (They make less, and less benefits) and anything in the middle got the ax.
So if you think experience will get you job security your sadly mistaken.
from my experience to obtain a job in a school, hospital, university, the local, state, or federal government. it is more of WHO not WHAT you know. so trying to obtain a job in any of these places is like playing the lottery. Good-Luck!
I am 47 years old and obtaining a 4 year college degree is pointless at this stage of my life, bu they time i get it i will be ready to retire. so i am stuck in this endless pit of S@#t,

Advice i will pass on to you younger guys, that i did not have, and one reason is there was no internet or sites like this when i was thinking of a career choice. so what i want to say to you guys and girls is this.

GO TO COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY AND GET A REAL EDUCATION THAT WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH A REAL LIVING, AND A GOOD LIFE. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THIS S$HVAC Technician HONESTLY IT IS NOT WHAT PEOPLE SAY IT IS, IT WILL DESTROY YOUR LIFE MENTAL, PHYSICAL,SOCIAL, IF YOU HAVE A FAMILY THEY WILL SUFFER, YOU WILL NEVER SEE THEM YOU WILL WORK YOUR BUTT OFF TO AFFORD SOMEONE ELSE A GOOD LIVING, YOU WILL BE IN ESSENCE A HUMAN MONEY MAKING MACHINE FOR SOMEONE ELSE. DO NOT WAIST YOUR TIME YOUR MONEY OR YOUR LIFE WITH THIS BS!

there you are boys and girls, take the advice, or leave it. i wish i would have had it. got into this crap thinking it takes time and effort to advance and after 22 going on 23 years i am no better off now than i was 23 years ago just older, and now with little or no options.

49 months ago

and John in Pgh has it right, you will not have the ability to meet the physical demand when you get older, i am 47 and i have problems with it and i have my but in the gym 5 days a week so i am not out of shape or unhealthy, the trade will beat you to death, and you are not going to advance in one of these small mom pop places which 97% of the HVAC companies are.
But even with computers i know plenty of them out of work that field is getting over run with people that their wages are dropping

smiling joe in Jackson, Tennessee

49 months ago

Guys,
Have you ever thought about apartment maintenance? You'd have to start out a s regular tech and then move up to lead tech. The industry is move forgiving and open to people right out of school. You won't make as much as a service tech in the field but most companies pay decent enough and offer you a discount on the rent.

49 months ago

smiling joe in Jackson, Tennessee said: Guys,
Have you ever thought about apartment maintenance? You'd have to start out a s regular tech and then move up to lead tech. The industry is move forgiving and open to people right out of school. You won't make as much as a service tech in the field but most companies pay decent enough and offer you a discount on the rent.

Right out of school or right out of high school?? Those jobs are biased toward kids just out of high school??? -- the issue here is older people (age 35 - 45) who cannot find jobs despite drinking the 'cool aid' these schools dished out

49 months ago

Yes i will agree the business owners accept all of the risk it goes with the title of being called "Owner" but come on you think your talking to a guy who has been out of trade school a few years.? i was in HVAC 23 and i what goes on at least around here, no pay no benefits, no nothing. i have a stationary engineers licence, a Associates degree in HVAC, a universal epa card, A city licence for heating and a/c and you know who it benefited.? the guy i worked for do you think they paid me more.? heck no, just charged more for my labor. and that was every company. and the union shops you better know someone around here or you can forget it.
Like i posted before I never made more than 18 per hour in 23 years and some places wanted to pay me 15, are you serious.? then they want you to take their business home, and be messed with all night for straight time, while your charging the customer time and a half, time and a half on what.? on my labor, except i am not getting it because i have not hit 40 hours yet. one thing i learned in business is "it may be the law, but that doesn't make it ethical" so in the end i really stopped telling my boss what i could do because the we're not going to pay for it anyway.
the older guys companies do not want because they will need to pay them to much, so they get the young not to experienced guys who they can blow smoke up their butt and pay them crap and make 3 times of of them. as the one gentlemen stated they had to eat noodles, well the guy working for you better get use to eating noodle forever, and i am sorry the government is ripping you off, don't make the workers pay for it they are making you your money, the owner doesn't make it, he finds it sometimes.

49 months ago

I HAVE SAID IT ONCE I HAVE SAID IT 1000 TIMES; if these companies want inexperience then they get what they pay for But there are some guys out there who are actually trained; a small minority of shops actually exceeds basic training. But more often than not the real training happens in the field through trial and error on the customer’s equipment. In other words trade school is being held at the customer’s house on their dime. So go ahead hire those guys with little or no experience. Company owners in this trade are infamous for their reluctance to pay for technical training, they lament that if they pay for training that their employees may quit and take that training to their competitors. And for others they simply do not like to pay for non-billable hours.
So many contractors do not give their guys much technical training, But Sales training? Abso-fricking-lutely! It’s a win-win situation. The owners win bigger sales. The employees win spiffs and commissions, and the customer? Well, someone has to pay the winnings.
I can go on and on how many of the HVAC company owners work, and what they bank trust me if they we’re not making it they would not be in the business.

ForestthruTrees in Pisgah Forest, North Carolina

49 months ago

I have been watching this thread for over 30months now.

As a business owner I feel compelled to say...Plenty of you come out of school, regardless of age, and want to diagnose with hands in pockets. What that translates into, you have been taught some bad habits, drank the kool-aid, and ignore that fact you are custoemr service and thus have salesmanship...you are not bringing to company.

I hire out of school, I provide training...alas, you will not be hired as a techinician, that is a position to be earned. But by doing maintenance and full diagnostic, I know you will have opportunity to show me your skills...and yes, there are times I require you to unlearn some things taught by those who may not have a big picture. In short, I have mentioned this before, those who contact me during school...network with us, actually take the opportunity to see the real world vs. a solid education which is limited...they have my attention.

Look...this is a field where you have to know hvac, electrical and plumbing...and you are telling me you want be called out upon it?
Do I really have to spell it out for the many that you do have create relationships if you decide this was worth your personal investment?

49 months ago

i am all for earning something but in my case i think after 23 years i earned plenty nothing to prove here hell i know more than half the people i worked for. HVAC i know, licensed in that. electric registered in that, plumbing i know, and it is not that stupid Boca code it is article 14 here in Allegheny county one of the most strict plumbing codes in the country it exceeds Boca. nope i do IT now make good money out of school mid 40's and do HVAC on the side make good money. di i want to change fields.? no but i got tired of the games, and the people for whom i was affording a good living ripping me off, and I inform all of the customers just how these companies work. like the service agreements, and annual maintenance, and how cheep svc calls are a form of bait ans switch, the free svc call with repairs, same day svc. or it's free. all the tricks and how they work. as a matter of fact i am working on my lunch break on my web site that will inform HVAC customers just what games are being played.. and i am doing it for all the HVAC guys and gals who spent years out there who gave their blood, their sweat and their tears, their lack of family time the lies, unable to afford a home, an a reliable car, having to live pay check to pay check, the games, the excuses from the very people you work for. to afford some ungrateful tyrant a good living on the backs of others. I guess my business degree i obtained while in the service is paying off for something. i use to tell a lot of the young guys i use to teach in the field if you learn anything in HVAC in 5 years, learn when your being lied to. and for you unemployed guys over 40 in HVAC hang it up and change professions you not getting hired at what you deserve.

zechdawg in Mcdonough, Georgia

49 months ago

man all make it sound hard as hell to get a job in heat and air. all i got is a heat and air installation certificate ane i am EPA universal certified, i hope i can find a job.

49 months ago

Ok how bad do you want it? you will be worked to death for what amounts to slave wages. benefits will be as common place as dinosaurs. and you will be working nights weekends and holidays for straight time while the nice company you are killing yourself for will be charging OT for your labor, nice ha?
I have been seeing that the people that are having the problems finding work are the under experienced, and the over experienced. this in itself speaks volumes about the caliber of most of the companies you will be working for.
My suggestion is get ready for a crap existence unless you work for yourself, but this will take years. or you will need to work for a union, at least there you will be paid a living wage, with benefits and a pension plan and OT after 8 not 40. Yes that may be the law, nut just because it is doesn't make it ethical.
So whoever talked you into HVACR shoot them. if you chose it on your own, you should have done your due diligence before embarking into something that is either going to make or break your life.

Good Luck!

49 months ago

zechdawg in Mcdonough, Georgia said: man all make it sound hard as hell to get a job in heat and air. all i got is a heat and air installation certificate ane i am EPA universal certified, i hope i can find a job.

Hope & Hopium and "Positive Thinking" is nice to have but it doesn't pay the bills. There isn't any Real Concrete advice about HOW exactly to find that job even from the so called "business owners here", just a bunch of smarmy positive thinking and putting the blame & onus on people who drank the cool aid and smoked the Hopium that the media & these cools are dishing out

stefan in Mckeesport, Pennsylvania

49 months ago

there is a lot to be said for Who not What you know, trust me i know maintenance guys working at the local university who are making 65K 100% paid benefits, and a killer pension, plus the perk of their kids going to that university for free because he is an employee. and they do not know the difference between a nut driver and a socket let alone subcooling and supergheat.
How you ask then did they obtain such a great gig? Simple they know someone who got them in...that's it end of story welcome to the reality of life in general.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

zechdawg in Mcdonough, Georgia

49 months ago

well it sounds hard but i think all yall over exaggerate about finding a job. i guess i will see but my dad did it for for a living and at the end of his carear he was making thirty dollars a hour, he started out with grunt work and went up the ladder. so we will see.

49 months ago

No one wants to hire someone unemployed regardless of reason and the fact of the matter is that changing careers is impossible if you aren't the fresh out of school 20 something

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.