Interview Preparation

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Host

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming health unit coordinator interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Spokane, Washington

84 months ago

I'm not sure if you had already had your interview, but, thought I would go ahead and give you a tip.
I just recently had my very first HUC interview and the one thing I believe the interviewer was looking for was how well your medical terminology is and how well you can handle multi-tasking. Try to think of ways you can explain how well you can handle stress and refresh up on your medical terminology.
Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy in Burnsville, MN in Burnsville, Minnesota

83 months ago

I completed my HUC Internship on Friday. Although I enjoy the work, I DID NOT enjoy the frantic pace. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I can apply my new skills in a less stressful atmosphere?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cramey in Youngstown, Ohio

65 months ago

you could try to work in an ICU fewer patients although more DR's. same orders all day long. or even a childrens hospital different atmosphere. I've been a CHUC for 10 years and it does get easier as time goes on. But hospitals offer more pay and better benefits overall.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

henrymaquli in New Delhi, India

65 months ago

Host said: Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming health unit coordinator interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

This is a wonderful opinion. The things mentioned are unanimous and needs to be appreciated by everyone

henrymaquli

[url="www.drugstrategies.org/Treatment/Arizona" rel="DoFallow"]Arizona Drug Treatment Centers[/url]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

henrymaquli in New Delhi, India

65 months ago

his is a wonderful opinion. The things mentioned are unanimous and needs to be appreciated by everyone

henrymaquli
[URL=www.drugstrategies.org/Treatment/Arizona]Arizona Drug Treatment Centers[/URL]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Margie in Saint Petersburg, Florida

53 months ago

I would very much like to interview you concerning your position as a HUC. Please reply....

barbie in Boston, Massachusetts

46 months ago

Nancy in Burnsville, MN in Burnsville, Minnesota said: I completed my HUC Internship on Friday. Although I enjoy the work, I DID NOT enjoy the frantic pace. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I can apply my new skills in a less stressful atmosphere?

A non-profit organization would be a great place to start. Its more lay back and most non-profits are more flexable with entry level positions when it comes with experience. The only thing is that their pay rate might be a little less the profit organizations. But you will get a great experience with a non-profit organization because you are able to do different thing vs. in a porfit organization.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Beth Hanson in Burnsville, Minnesota

46 months ago

I agree, the work environment is not healthy for those providing health care! Management is disconnected from the day to day needs of the unit. They routinely make changes to existing processes without getting input from those who need to implement them. The ever changing processes are not well thought out or tested before "going live". This is certainly not in the best interest of safe or effective patient care, not to mention the additional stress this creates for staff members. In an effort to save time and money, a few staff members are trained as "expert users" and then are expected to teach others via word of mouth and a laminated "cheat sheet" of basic instructions - again, very ineffective when considering the possible consequences for patients. I expected there would be set procedures and processes established within a hospital setting to ensure the safest and most efficient patient care. This is not what I have found in the hospital in which I work - and I would not elect to be a patient at this location! In addition, basic telephone and contact information is not updated so reaching the appropriate department or person is hit or miss. Staffing is not adequate so there are times when someone is on break when they are needed in order to implement patient care. It is just a matter of time before something goes wrong. And when it does, you can bet it will be the staff member who will be held responsible and not the systems in place that have caused the confusion!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

cnalifer in Schofield, Wisconsin

38 months ago

any examples of questions?

shirley in Greenville, South Carolina

35 months ago

Nancy in Burnsville, MN in Burnsville, Minnesota said: I completed my HUC Internship on Friday. Although I enjoy the work, I DID NOT enjoy the frantic pace. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I can apply my new skills in a less stressful atmosphere?

I would say in the medical office they have a less pace than in the unit.

ibelieveinme in Trevor, Wisconsin

19 months ago

I have had three interviews now for the same hospital. I feel they go very well but I must be missing the boat some where. They make you come back for another interview with the VP. I don't mind, but not sure how much more I can do. I know I put a good interview on, I had my portfolio all ready in case they needed anything. I felt like I was on top of things. Just can't seem to land a job. I also noticed that HUCs make almost twice as much in Ill than in WI. Thats just by internet info. HUC's play such a crucial role in these hospitals and clinics. I want to find employment so bad. Maybe its time to think outside the box and try something different. I want to go for my MA too. But that means more student debt. We are barely hanging on now. I wish I could help you with your question, but I felt I covered all basis and nothing. Confident, dressed for the part, good eye contact, strong hand shake, smiled, pleasant, socialized with no problems, explained how I would handle a situation. The only thing I can think of is I tend to be a bit assertive. Maybe I was a little to strong during the interview. I am a talker and sort of lead the interview. Lesson learned to back down a bit. I just keep trying and trying. I went back to school after we lost our home due to the economy. Thought that was the answer. Starting to wonder. I also am shadowing at my sons orthodontist to keep my skills up. So when they ask what have you been doing since you graduated in 2011 I can tell them I have been shadowing to keep my skills up! So I thought that was a great idea and I can use them as a reference when the time comes. Yes, its a difficult time for many of us. Hang in there and never give up!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.