Show me the money...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

What are typical health unit coordinator salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

Julie in Green Bay, Wisconsin

81 months ago

Hi:
I was going to try to be a Health unit Coordinator. I found out that I have to be working in a health care facility in order to take this course. I am a certified medical assistant and have enough hours to qualify for the health unit coordinator course, but because I am not working in a health care facility I do not qualify for this course. Has anyone ever heard of this. My internship would be with the place of business I would now be working at. It sounds like something I would like to do now instead of being a medical assistant. Is there anyone out there who is working as a HUC? Thanks for any info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Marcia Skousen in Phoenix, Arizona

78 months ago

I was employed as a HUC here in Phoenix AZ and the pay was $13/hour which is high for Phoenix. Top earners make about $15/hour here and they typically are CNA's who combine HUC duties with nursing assistant responsibilities. Please be aware this will probably be the busiest, most demanding job you will ever have. I would recommend this job only to those who plan to become health care workers such as nurses or technicians because it isnt a job you stay in for the long haul for most people. The work is too demanding and the pay too low to be a career choice. I worked twelve hour shifts were I could stop to take a lunch so be advised you will either love it or hate it, there is no in between!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

barbara in Maryville, Tennessee

66 months ago

Julie in Green Bay, Wisconsin said: Hi:
I was going to try to be a Health unit Coordinator. I found out that I have to be working in a health care facility in order to take this course. I am a certified medical assistant and have enough hours to qualify for the health unit coordinator course, but because I am not working in a health care facility I do not qualify for this course. Has anyone ever heard of this. My internship would be with the place of business I would now be working at. It sounds like something I would like to do now instead of being a medical assistant. Is there anyone out there who is working as a HUC? Thanks for any info.

Julie:
That is the craziest thing I have ever heard of. Did you in fact call or go to the HR dept and actually verify this info?
I don't understand why that would be...I first took the HUC when I went to my community college and plan on taking it again online to try and enter this field again, but I have never heard of this requirement. I would verify and call other hospitals first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

britney jammstil in Waterford, Michigan

49 months ago

Hello. I am a HUC in the ER. I didn't need ANY college or certification what so ever. I just applied and got the job. But I am going to college for nursing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.