Getting a healthcare recruiter job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Host

How did you get your start doing healthcare recruiter work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Salena in Atlanta, Georgia

77 months ago

Wanted to get started in the recruitement business

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Charleston, South Carolina

55 months ago

Hi Salena,

I have an associates in IT and a bachelors degree in training. I personally got my start at a travel staffing company doing healthcare recruitment. *Prior to starting with this company I was doing outside sales for a small internet start up business and working in the evenings at a restaurant. Where does outside sales and restaurants fit into healthcare recruitment? They are both sales and sales oriented positions. Recruitment as you know is a sales driven position. All the same fundamentals and many of the same skill-sets transfer over to the recruitment field(i.e. - ability to communicate well with people on the phone, in person and via email).

I found the opportunity by networking with others. I found a lead and continued to follow up with the contact (my future boss) to see how I could be of any assistance and to keep me in the loop if a position opened up. A position opened up and I did got the position. Although I received a tremendous amount of training for the job, what I did have at that time and ***what they saw in me was tremendous "potential". Top sales and sales-oriented professionals share similar characteristics; they are tenacious, they are extraverted, competitive, have good listening skills, good communicators and have the ability to truly "understand" the client / candidates needs.

In summary, do your homework, understand what is required for the job and see how your skills fit into the position. Many companies will hire and train newbies with the "right potential" while other companies will need seasoned recruiters. ***Although some college degrees may align well with this position I feel there is more emphasis about what abilities you possess and will effectively demonstrate in the recruitment role.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

newplot1 in Simi Valley, California

52 months ago

Do you like being a recruiter? What kind of money can I make in the industry? Is it realy 80 phone calls a day job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

newplot1 in Simi Valley, California said: Do you like being a recruiter? What kind of money can I make in the industry? Is it realy 80 phone calls a day job?

Yes I do enjoy the work. Like all jobs you have the pros and the cons of any job. Due to the fact that it is a sales related job you must be thick skinned, not take things personal and be able to handle rejection. I am sure you will find most good sales positions pay very well and it is because most people do not handle rejection well, not willing to learn from their mistakes and put forth the metrics to be successful.

Regarding calls, sometimes you may need to pump out 80 to 100 calls a day to a targeted area for specific open needs. I myself prefer to work efficiently and do whatever it takes. Sometimes more,sometimes less. I provide staff recruiting for one company so it is a bit different then "travel" staffing. Travel staffing is a great experience and you will learn a tremendous amount. Downside is unless there is a clear path of upward mobility, you can very easily get burned out. Very competitive business and it continues to get more competitive each year. Regarding salary, it is commensurate on experience like any position. In addition to experience, pay is determined by where you are currently living. The ranges I have seen here in the southeast have been 45k - 85k(plus bonuses in many instances.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

newplot1@yahoo.com in Simi Valley, California

52 months ago

Thank you very much for a such detailed description of the recruiter job. Did you go through any training/ tapes/classes to learn scripts and dialogues?
I am interviewing with an Executive recruiter company for a Healthcare Industry. Do you suggest to open up a linkedin.com account?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

Yes, I would. As you probably know "networking" is the name of the game. Regarding training, tapes, classes, scripts and dialogues: I did receive some training when I first started out. Outside of this I have attended various seminars un-related and personal development cds I get for myself. I find when you are banging out the phones, it is always best to work from a well rehearsed script. Literally to the point where you feel you are in an acting role. You find yourself fighting this at times because you feel disingenuine and corney at times (at least I did). However, having a couple well rehearsed scripts that are designed to get into the canidates operating reality where you are there to be of help and an advocate to them. Then you are not really "selling" but listening and seeing where you can be of any help. All about the relationships and delivering value. If you are set up with the right tools, support and ongoing training and you are always coming from an angle of "how can I be of service/help" you will be successful. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jason in Los Angeles, California

32 months ago

To Paul in Charleston, South Carolina:

Do you have a list of the top 5 Healthcare IT recruiting firms.

Thank you,
-Jason
josvhua@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.