What are typical heavy equipment mechanic salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Willisburg, Kentucky

96 months ago

Host said: Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Hello there,
I received 4 months full-time & certification in diesel engine repair through serving in the military. However, upon becoming a civilian again, I learned that one needed over $2,000 worth of tools before an employer would hire you (I'd applied at Cummins, Caterpillar, etc.).

If you don't have the training yet, the military would be a viable option to receive free schooling.

Diesel Engine Repair persons are in high demand nation-wide. I note that the military services (U.S. Dept. of Defense = employer) is hiring many civilians now to do this work.

The more highly specialized you are and the more types of equipment you can work on, the more marketable your skills will be. I was trained to work on heavy construction equipment.

I hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

kyle miller in Pocatello, Idaho

91 months ago

I started running parts for a peterbilt after graduating high school. Then statred changing oil in the shop and whent from there. That was four years ago, I now am a feild mechanic for the biggest constrution company around. If school is not for you and you have the ability to learn go to work for what your worth. Work harder than every one els and you will know more in four years and make more money than enyone els that whent to school. Not paying school loans is nice to.

P.S as a feild mechanic we make federsl wages most the year this year I made 76,000 but averaged 75 hours a week. find companies that work overtime and you will do well. Average sallery is about 40.000

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.