Heavy Equipment Operator

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (551 to 573 of 573)
Page:  « First « Previous   9  10  11  12   

rollhard in Washington, Pennsylvania

43 months ago

After reading all the unhappy people on here I am not giving a nickel to ATS. I'll keep looking for a better school that is better. So glad I found this information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

craneoperator in Irving, Texas

43 months ago

Maybe nobody will hire you guys is cause YOU DONT KNOW CRAP about heavy equipment.!!!! Try being a labor and working your way up. I have been operating heavy equipment for 12yrs and I have all of my NCCO and I tell you guys in this ecomony companys can hire the best. Not some guy who can even cut grade but went to some BS school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

real guy in Stillwater, Minnesota

43 months ago

This is to you the guy who keeps defending ats right. So why do you waste your time defending it like this? You must work for them its quite obvious cuZ if i had a job at 35 an hour i wouldnt be blogging back and forth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Airmule in Dullsville, Illinois

43 months ago

I get the biggest kick out of the guys who go to these schools in the south ( Georgia, Alabama, The Carolinas) and say they just got out and are starting a new job at 25 -30 bucks an hour. Glad I have boots on while reading that drivel.
And why in the world would anyone want to start out as a laborer to become an equipment operator? That's like being a mailman to become a doctor.

Tahj in Washington, District of Columbia

43 months ago

Im finding all this information helpful,im actually 19 and I want to operate heavy machinery and I applied for the military and I was approved for everything but I have to wait six months for my waiver,so I want just go ahead and get certified as a heavy equitment operator any tips.

CATattack in Amarillo, Texas

41 months ago

I really got to say something, Ive never attended this school. But I realize right off that...it's a school! They are in business to make money. For that money they offer a sevice. If they give you some expirience and a certification they have done their part. Noone is gonna guarantee you a job, because you are a unique individual...some you guys reading these critiques by these guys who cant find jobs need to realize this. The guy who complains about ATS, wont tell you he's severely overweight, 80 years old, or on probation for theft. Maybe he's not willing to travel to where the work is? Maybe he's telling the truth, but the next guy isn't. You have to take these comments with a grain of salt, and realize there is always two sides to every story. Some people think they deserve everything handed to them on a silver platter. If you go to this training youre gonna have to take whatever they give you and make it work somehow. You really need to do some research on the job market in your area and nationwide. Right now the oil industry is booming, and wherever there is alot of oil drilling and pipelining, there are jobs, but the may be in West Texas or in Wyoming or Pennsyvania. If you have a family and arent willing to move, you might rethink going to a school like this. If you are in bad health, old or overweight a foreman is gonna look at you like you are an accident risk. If you have a criminal record, that might cause problems for you as well. Just something to think about.

Suitor in Medina, Ohio

41 months ago

craneoperator in Irving, Texas said: Maybe nobody will hire you guys is cause YOU DONT KNOW CRAP about heavy equipment.!!!! Try being a labor and working your way up. I have been operating heavy equipment for 12yrs and I have all of my NCCO and I tell you guys in this ecomony companys can hire the best. Not some guy who can even cut grade but went to some BS school.

If you had to start as a laborer on the ground to understand heavy Equitment, I would suggest you keep this quite.

suitor in Medina, Ohio

41 months ago

Tahj in Washington, District of Columbia said: Im finding all this information helpful,im actually 19 and I want to operate heavy machinery and I applied for the military and I was approved for everything but I have to wait six months for my waiver,so I want just go ahead and get certified as a heavy equitment operator any tips.

get on cranes and master them and the load charts.

Ryan Kaiser in Belmont, Wisconsin

40 months ago

I went to ATS in Sun Prairie, WI back in fall of 2007. I had about $18,000 invested with the hotel, 9 weeks of level 1,2, & 3 and 2 weeks of the CDL class. Only thing i got out it worth while was the CDL b/c its really popular to go through where i'm from. A lot more expensive than other places to take it but a lot of people take CDL class. I did get a job in spring of 2008 with an excavating company that also had 2 rock quarries. It was a pretty a large mom and dad operation. Did about 60% of state jobs through out the season too though that pays great. But when I had my job interview with them and when they seen that i went to ATS they just laughed at me and asked me why i wasted my money. The best is hands on. So i pretty much started as a laborer. After being there awhile and being involved and sometimes being put in the skid loader and mini excavator i realized that i didn't learn a damb thing at ATS. I had a buddy that went to the school with me and to this day still works at his Hypro manufacturing company making $14 an hour. He got sick of going to interviews getting laughed at about going to that school. My sister worked with a kid that went to the school and hasn't found a job due to no experience. Same as another kid i went a year ago that actually lives like 20 miles from the school. When companies are looking to hire new employees, they are looking for experience so things get done faster. They don't want to take the time to train anyone. they just want to get the job done fast to get to the next job. Everything is money, money, money. i now have moved up to being put in all equipment but when it comes to the serious stuff our main operator does the work and i'm back in the trench or whatever we're doing. I would say i operate 35%-40% of the time. Overall I think the school is a legalized scam that gets away with it. Sun Prairie is also 5 miles from Madison, WI witch is the state capital! Wish i could get some $ back!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

I am glad i started as a laborer. You learn so much watching everyone else operate. you appreciate it more too when they let you operate something. you also have something to prove too if you ever want to get out of the laborer job and get put into the operator seat more.

40 months ago

Dozer in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: Jas4613.the ATS schools are all the same.I was talking about the Lecanto FL location.The work force may contribute a portion of your tuition.In most cases it would be enough for perhaps level 1
training.you dont have a shot at a job in the seat comming out of level 1 at that training facility. The job market for entry level operators in FL is weak at best.And I would bet there placement is next to none.As far as a extra tool in your belt and if work force is picking up the tab go for it.Check into American training out of Jacksonville FL.Stay away from ats Trust me I used to work for those scum bags.

Is there any way to get any of my money back? i spent $18,000 with them!!! Legalized scam!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Operator

40 months ago

Wow, congratulations. You spent 18k to become a laborer. Remind me to not have you balance my checkbook.

D10T in Southern, California

39 months ago

To those of you bitching and moaning about going to school at ATS, listen up. I went to and completed all levels at ATS in Las Vegas back in January 2006. Prior to that I had only operated an excavator and a loader with limited time on both(about 5 months). I busted my ass while I was at ATS and I had a great time. Upon graduating, I was immediately offered three jobs in Vegas. I was VERY lucky. But the staff at the school were more than willing to help. Anyone bitching and weeding on ATS either didn't know how to milk the school, didn't use the instructors as a resource for jobs, or simply sucked as an operator. That's all there is to it. This air of self-entitlement that I've read in here is ridiculous. Some of you, not all, act as if ATS owes you a job. WOW! They don't owe you squat. Nobody twisted your arm and made you go to the school. You chose to go there. Grit down, nut up, go out and get your job.

As for the job offers I had in Vegas, I turned them down. Not because the pay or benefits were bad, I just can't stand Las Vegas. It's a dump. 2 weeks after graduation, I went to Phoenix and was offered a job at the first company I applied to. A very large company. The gentleman that hired me was impressed that I walked in and applied with very little experience and that I was willing to put myself through school and dedicated to getting a great career. I started @ $16/hr. operating a water pull. Yep, I started at the bottom and worked my way up. Within 3 months I was operating a 980G loader, a 631E scraper, and dozers when needed. Within 1 year I had moved up to strictly running dozers and loaders making $20/hr. Now, 5 years later, I'm back in SoCal working for Local 12 in San Diego and making more money than I ever thought possible. Make it happen for yourselves, people. Stop bitching and try harder. If you really, REALLY want the job, you'll get it.

I'm glad I went to ATS. They got my foot in the door. I did the rest. :D

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

suitor in Gilbert, Arizona

39 months ago

Your the first person of some "1,500" who posted here that had a positive experience at ATS. Hey miracles do happen. Also I doubt but one of the 1,500 belive your story.

suitor in Gilbert, Arizona

39 months ago

No, you and the taxpayers paid 18,000.

Chad in Columbus, Ohio

36 months ago

Does anyone know anything on the Georgia School of Construction? I have been thinking about going, and I have no clue about it. Any information will help. Thanks

sam in San Diego, California

33 months ago

Is it weird I totally believe the previous life part? I don't even question that's how it works anymore. It just is

UOTE who="Bill in Afghanistan in Kabul, Afghanistan"]Hey guys!

No, I didn't miss it. The BBB would not let them join if the owners of the company had unfinished business (unsettled complaints) and they just changed the name. Also, since February, no one has complained about them, which is definitely something. I mean, you guys have a lot of great points, but no one filed a complaint with the BBB???

I believe you guys have had a serious round of BS sent your way, no doubt. Is there a possibility the company is actually trying? Sorry, I am not bagging on you guys and I hope it doesn't appear that I am totally on the side of the school either.

I emailed the BBB about the former name and reputation of the school and copied them a link to this forum. We will see what they have to say. Also, I did the same to the school, so let's see what they say as well.

In a previous life, I was a cop in Honolulu. During an investigation, you try to get both sides of a story and sort through the BS. My gut is telling me a lot of people have been screwed by ATS.. but no one has mentions Nevada School of Construction by name... so maybe there is a chance they are getting their act together???

BTW-- DON'T BECOME A COP!!! ESPECIALLY IN HONOLULU!!! :-)

Cheers

B

Ryan Kaiser in Cuba City, Wisconsin

33 months ago

I sent a complaint to the BBB and today I received there replay along with a letter from A.T.S. Did no good at all. The letter from John Klabacka, president of A.T.S. said that the school fulfilled their obligations and if I need any other assistance I should contact the school with any need. I guess it was worth a try.

Mac.A in Norwich, New York

31 months ago

Yeah ATS of NH is a waste of money, and there completely non-union, which is funny because most good operating job in NYS are prevailing wage($60 per hour in most regions) I took a course a SAGE truck driver training in vestal NY and got my CDL-A so that helped me land my job at the local highway Dpt, my CDL schooling cost $5000 and was worth every penny, but my
ATS schooling cost almost $10000 and was a joke, heck I even own a international TD9 dozer before I went to school so I learned nothing about good operating techniques, just stuff about saftey from a text book which never happens in real life, save your money, you could buy a dozer for the cost of the schooling and teach your self to operate on your own, lol.

Boilermaker in Gainesville, Florida

26 months ago

dozer in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: Eager. Idont know much about deep creek. I just know who there not. A.T.S TRY WWW.HEAVYEQUIPMENTTRAINING.COM as well there in WA.Also check into salle mae for student loan information

Dozer, if you are still around, you should really contact me regarding NCCER/ATS.

dozer in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

26 months ago

Boilermaker I'm still around. How can I help.

Boilermaker in Gainesville, Florida

26 months ago

I've heard a lot of problems with ATS and I have some (a lot) of questions. Would you mind emailing me? boilermaker_babe at yahoo.com

dozer in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

25 months ago

boilermaker there are problems with ATS. I was not able to send info to the email you provided.

Page:  « First « Previous   9  10  11  12   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.