Starting a small excavating business

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 58)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Adam

94 months ago

I am wanting to start my own small excavating business have some experience but not a whole lot any information on doing this would be helpful thank ya

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (120) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

Don Cates in Defuniak Springs, Florida

88 months ago

ther are afew things to remeber do not go and dump everything you have into it all at once grow rationally and try not to do buddy buddy work and get contracts that are signed it helps with getting payed

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

dean tha machine in Macomb, Michigan

84 months ago

tough times in michigan now

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

jeremy in Canfield, Ohio

78 months ago

i also am thinking about my own company. it runs in the family, well many years ago. do u need an operators license or just a cdl. i do want to start small. do u guy's there is enough work out there to make a decent living?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

mark hart in Port Mann, British Columbia

74 months ago

I'am an equipment operator. I've been looking into my own business. probably a backhoe or mini ex and rent if need other equipment which I have done in the past. I've found a few books on excavation through google try a few searches. try to take a course if possible maybe septic install or something. My way of thinking is keep costs low. start by renting machines. advertise free online and cheap local paper. Put the word out to as many people as possible even other excavation companies. They may need guys on call to run their machines if your not to busy or need your services to help finish a job. It happens everyday where I live. these guys pool resources and work together.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Vinyl Cafe in Banff, Alberta

74 months ago

Are you certified? British Columbia I think is headed in the same direction as Quebec: Requiring certification from an accredited school.

If you want to start your own business, contact Community Futures in your area. It is a government-run funding body. They are a good resource for business planning, too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bertsmustang1965@AT&T.NET in Orange Park, Florida

74 months ago

Adam said: I am wanting to start my own small excavating business have some experience but not a whole lot any information on doing this would be helpful thank ya

I,M LOOKING FOR WORK ABOUT TO LOSE EVERY THING. I have 28YR. EXP. I;LLbe glad to help for a job. O.S.H.A. CET. J.E.A. CERT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

alan mesmer in leetonia, Ohio

73 months ago

Hello,
I started my small excavating company in 2000. I would be happy to answer any questions that you may have on starting your own company based on my experiences. Feel free to contact me should you wish to do so.
www.qualityexcavating.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jethro in Mt. Storm, West Virginia

73 months ago

i am 18 and looking to start a small excavating company and run the machines my self any advise would be helpful. i have ran my dads case 580c for 5 yrs and i am currently workin for a small excavation company now as a laberor

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

jethro in Mt. Storm, West Virginia

73 months ago

cool
i dont know much about the business end of things but i can run a machine good.
i would love the help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Barry in West Liberty, Kentucky

72 months ago

I have twenty years in utility contracting and I would give this advice: (1) Keep it simple - more doesn't mean better and do what really works. (2) Keep it honest - word of mouth will build or end your business. (3) Hire good CO-WORKERS and treat them as you would like to be treated. (4) and last (and very important) get it or put it in writing - trust can be earned - but greed and money has destroyed everything from families to ... well you get the point, Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ryan in Kelowna, British Columbia

71 months ago

hi i have been operating equipment for about 9 years now, i want to start my owne buiseness but am woried about getting work. I would like to work in alberta because of the money but have no contacts on where to start! I am looking for some kind of contract to buy, if anyone can help please contact me! thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

459 in Kalispell, Montana

71 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin in Reading, Pennsylvania

63 months ago

I am 22 and am in the Army Reserves, my job with the reserves in heavy equipment operating. I have been unable to even find any related feild that's hiring in my area and wanted to get some advice on starting my own excavating gig. Thanks for any given advice!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

rusekhon in Calgary, Alberta

61 months ago

alan mesmer in leetonia, Ohio said: Hello,
I started my small excavating company in 2000. I would be happy to answer any questions that you may have on starting your own company based on my experiences. Feel free to contact me should you wish to do so.

Hi there I am from Calgary Alberta I have 4 years of experience in residential construction as a supervisor and I want to start my own excavation business I don't know much bout excavation can you please tell me what do I need to start with...............

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

349 in New Carlisle, Indiana

61 months ago

rusekhon in Calgary, Alberta said: Hi there I am from Calgary Alberta I have 4 years of experience in residential construction as a supervisor and I want to start my own excavation business I don't know much bout excavation can you please tell me what do I need to start with...............

it is easy to get in excavating, i ran one for 35 years. the mistakes will kill you, if you need help let me know. roger

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

rusekhon in Calgary, Alberta

61 months ago

349 in New Carlisle, Indiana said: it is easy to get in excavating, i ran one for 35 years. the mistakes will kill you, if you need help let me know. roger

Can you please tell me what equipment I need to start with...and can you please tell me specific names and models of the machinery I need........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jenyart in Amboy, Indiana

59 months ago

349 in New Carlisle, Indiana said: it is easy to get in excavating, i ran one for 35 years. the mistakes will kill you, if you need help let me know. roger

It isn't as easy today as it probably was 30 plus years ago !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

bigdirtjob in peru, Indiana

59 months ago

Look, I have seen people here say to go into debt right away by purchasing equipment. That isn't smart unless you have a few hundred thousand to blow starting out. I recommend finding a good local rental house,(United,Hertz,Sunbelt,or a local Deere or Car dealer), and set up a rental account. You will have little overhead and the equipment can be RPO'ed when you see that you will need it for a longer period of time. If you don't need it then you just turn it in when you are done. Everybody and their brother has a backhoe around here don't buy a backhoe!! You need to have a good understanding of the everyday prucedures of the type of construction processes you are interested in getting into.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

Need advice e-mail me at jenyart@enyartsllc.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

If you need to betold what equipment to get you need more experience!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dirtdoctor in O Fallon, Missouri

59 months ago

Kevin in Reading, Pennsylvania said: I am 22 and am in the Army Reserves, my job with the reserves in heavy equipment operating. I have been unable to even find any related feild that's hiring in my area and wanted to get some advice on starting my own excavating gig. Thanks for any given advice!

I started in 2001 full time
it can be and has beed a little slow stay deversified,, I became involved in advanced septic systems the best thing i ever did

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tony in Fresno, California

59 months ago

DuH ! the market is really slow right now ! Your safest route is to use your veteran status and apply for federal employment and still proceed with your small biz start up I have been doing this for 12 years and can advise this is not the best time to test the waters ! plus you get pref status as a veteran !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tony in Fresno, California

59 months ago

rusekhon in Calgary, Alberta said: Hi there I am from Calgary Alberta I have 4 years of experience in residential construction as a supervisor and I want to start my own excavation business I don't know much bout excavation can you please tell me what do I need to start with...............

To be blunt more than 4 year's of experience being a project manager or supervisor is much different that being the owner , estimator or biz owner there are very many skills needed to to become successful but you have a good start ! In this market mistakes will cost you learn more then test the waters when you can ! Biz plan is # ! priority !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

scott in Calgary, Alberta

59 months ago

hey there Alan. I'm from Calgary Alberta, Canada and I'm planning to buy a bobcat right away. I've been operating for 7 years and i finally decided to do it for myself. I just don't know where to start! do i phone the developers to try and do back fills or just random jobs by the hour?? I know how to do the work i just don't know how to get it. any advice would be helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

scott in Calgary, Alberta said: hey there Alan. I'm from Calgary Alberta, Canada and I'm planning to buy a bobcat right away. I've been operating for 7 years and i finally decided to do it for myself. I just don't know where to start! do i phone the developers to try and do back fills or just random jobs by the hour?? I know how to do the work i just don't know how to get it. any advice would be helpful.

Get the work then, get the equipment. Rent it till you have enough work to sustain a purchase. To figure out what to go after, ask yourself what do you do best and try to go after work that you KNOW you can do without help or guidance. Get an accountant to help out getting you on the right path financially if you can afford it. Spend the money in the right places. Do not go out and buy a piece without any work for it!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pete in Westfield, Massachusetts

58 months ago

Drew in Cortland, Ohio said: I'm currently 21 years old, and I do plan on becoming a heavy equipment operator, but I do want to have something on the side. But the thing is, I know NOTHING about excavation. I am going to a trades school to get my cdl, and heavy equipment operations. But my question is how do I start my own business? can anyone give me information? Thanks

I am 35 years old. I signed up in an apprentice ship with the international union of operating engineers when I was 22. You get on the job training with pay. When your done with classes you will make around 30.00 hr and incredible benefits. I you ever want to learn a new machine they will teach you and its FREE. Union contractors also get all the big jobs so If you want to run the big stuff IE 200 ton cranes and 200,000 pound excavators this is a great option.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

jeff in Bennington, Vermont

57 months ago

Kevin in Reading, Pennsylvania said: I am 22 and am in the Army Reserves, my job with the reserves in heavy equipment operating. I have been unable to even find any related feild that's hiring in my area and wanted to get some advice on starting my own excavating gig. Thanks for any given advice!

hi i run my own excavating . been in out here for 23 yrs. started out with lawn care and made a name . that took 10 yrs. its a long road . the last two years have been bad . not a good time to invest. if you have a job now hang on . at least one more year. sorry not better news 4 you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

turbo 59 in Los Angeles, California

56 months ago

yes where are you starting your bussiness? i have a lot of experence and wil relocate,chris

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

chris in Windsor, Maine

56 months ago

pete in Westfield, Massachusetts said: I am 35 years old. I signed up in an apprentice ship with the international union of operating engineers when I was 22. You get on the job training with pay. When your done with classes you will make around 30.00 hr and incredible benefits. I you ever want to learn a new machine they will teach you and its FREE. Union contractors also get all the big jobs so If you want to run the big stuff IE 200 ton cranes and 200,000 pound excavators this is a great option.

how long usually is it before your all done your training?, how much do you make when your training? i know the training centers for new england r in mass, is that where most of the jobs during training are?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Keith in Evansville, Indiana

53 months ago

Hi, Roger

I own a dump truck biz in Evansville, IN. I have been wanting to get into excavating for a while now. My question is who do I approach first for business and how do I market it, through word of mouth and biz cards or is there other ways. What equipment should I purchase or rent to get started. What are the mistakes I should avoid? I really appreciate your wisdom and experience Sir on this matter! Hope I hear from you soon!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

KP in Eugene, Oregon

53 months ago

Drew in Cortland, Ohio said: I'm currently 21 years old, and I do plan on becoming a heavy equipment operator, but I do want to have something on the side. But the thing is, I know NOTHING about excavation. I am going to a trades school to get my cdl, and heavy equipment operations. But my question is how do I start my own business? can anyone give me information? Thanks[/QUOT

learn to run equipment really good then go from there you might not like it you never know lots of people got into then lost intrest in it now there stuck with everything due to tuff times

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

AnBo Development in Saint George, Utah

50 months ago

I have a Kenworth T800 with only 190k miles, Bobcat T300 with only 600 hrs attachments, (construction bucket, finish bucket, loegering earth leveling and breakup rake and a heavyduty forks.It also has the Gold Package with air conditioning and heat. Hand controls and many extras.) & Zieman 2600 Trailer. I WILL CONSIDER PARTIAL TRADES. I own this package and paid in full and I have all the titles and papers. So we don't have to go through bank loans or anything else that might slow this sale. Can arrange delivery. Pictures on request

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Keith in Evansville, Indiana

50 months ago

Please send me pictures and what the asking price on these items?

50 months ago

Will be glad to send you pictures if you like. you may contact me at anbocat@hotmail.com and send me a email address I can send pics too.

50 months ago

Keith in indiana. What is your phone number? apparently you can't send pictures through this blog or an email address. Mine is anbocat at hotmail.

50 months ago

Keith, Do you have any trade?

William Buzzard in Ford City, Pennsylvania

50 months ago

Starting a excavating co.,what liscence and insurance do i need to get started in state of Pa.

firedog in Rockford, Illinois

45 months ago

is this a good time to start a excavting company

firedog in Rockford, Illinois

45 months ago

is this a good time to start a excavating company?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bobby in Washington, Utah

45 months ago

Keith in Evansville, Indiana said: Please send me pictures and what the asking price on these items?

Keith, Please send me your email address. I could not get the link here deliver picture on my equipment. You may email me at AnBoCat@hotmail.com I am including the link to my ad.

Thanks Bobby

I have a Kenworth T800 with only 190k miles, Bobcat T300 with only 600 hrs attachments, (construction bucket, finish bucket, loegering earth leveling and breakup rake and a heavyduty forks.It also has the Gold Package with air conditioning and heat. Hand controls and many extras.) & Zieman 2600 Trailer. I WILL CONSIDER PARTIAL TRADES. I own this package and paid in full and I have all the titles and papers. So we don't have to go through bank loans or anything else that might slow this sale. Can arrange delivery. Pictures on request

LoadMyDump in Cleveland, Ohio

44 months ago

If you decide to start your business you can sign up for free at www.loadmydump.com to receive rate requests from local residents and other businesses.

dtsigns in Muncy, Pennsylvania

39 months ago

Bobby in Washington, Utah said: Keith, Please send me your email address. I could not get the link here deliver picture on my equipment. You may email me at AnBoCat@hotmail.com I am including the link to my ad.

Thanks Bobby

Bobby,

Is the Bobcat T300 still available? If so, please email me pricing on it. Thanks. Dave Thomas

gunhillexcavating in Edmonton, Alberta

39 months ago

buy as much as possible of the biggest equipment you can, then try to find the work...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

NM Girl in Carlsbad, New Mexico

38 months ago

Bertsmustang1965@AT&T.NET in Orange Park, Florida said: I,M LOOKING FOR WORK ABOUT TO LOSE EVERY THING. I have 28YR. EXP. I;LLbe glad to help for a job. O.S.H.A. CET. J.E.A. CERT.

Come on down to New Mexico, i work in the office of a Excavation company and work is booming out here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tim in Kennesaw, Georgia

35 months ago

hi im in highschool and my dad owns his grading and trucking business and i need to know what i need to college for and where and how i need to get a business license to carry on his business

paul in Oak Lawn, Illinois

35 months ago

I have an excavating business in the Chicago area is there people who i could employ to bid on jobs for me??????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Ashley G in Triadelphia, West Virginia

34 months ago

Hello. My boyfriend is starting an excavating business of his own and needs me to write up his business plan. Can any of you help me or give me some advice on writing a business plan for this certain kind of career? It would help out alot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

anbo in Washington, Utah

34 months ago

Yeah, give me a call and I will see what you need for your move to an excavation business. anbocat@hotmail.com

Bobby

Bobbio in Plattsburgh, New York

33 months ago

My son and I started a small landscape business. We'll be renting equipment to start, mini excavator. Our insurance company wants an extra $2,000 to cover the rental equipment. We have $2,000,000 liability. Is this insurance we need to rent equipment?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.