Tips for histology technician interviews.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming histology technician interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Reply - Report abuse

Katrina Angel in Missouri City, Texas

26 months ago

Some questions they will ask you are troubleshooting questions such as what were to happen if you changed the reagents in the H&E? *You would make sure the xylene and absolute alcohols are not contaminated with water and make sure the hematoxylin and eosin dyes are changed at least once a month--then you would run a control and check the slide using the microscope to make sure there is no bubbling and light/too dark staining*

"Where do you see yourself five years from now?" - I personally do not want to be an HT forever but of course you don't want to say that in the interview lol. Just say you hope to learn the responsibilities and duties of a supervisor so you can grow as an HT. Also, you would want to mention that continuing education is important to you so you can keep up as far as histology goes. I would say something about learning more as an HT so you can eventually become a histotechnologist in the near future. You plan on studying more so you can become an HTL. Just let them know youre interested in the histology field and curious about it. When I went to my rotations during my HT program I asked doctors to tell me what exactly do they look for in different tissues during their microscopic examination.

They will ask how well you work with others. They will ask you what problems you have encountered in the lab and what you have done to solve the problem. You want to be honest so don't try to sound unrealistic like you're the perfect employee. Be humble and be yourself! You don't want to annoy the interviewer saying you're the best because they might think you're cocky. Just say you're a well rounded person, very honest and open minded and you don't judge others.

Other questions they might ask you is how many blocks can you cut and embed per hour?Do you have any basic computer skills? How do you feel about working on holidays/weekends/on call? Are you willing to take a midnight position at times (like 8PM-3AM hours, 1AM-8AM, etc).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No Reply - Report abuse

Katrina Angel in Missouri City, Texas

26 months ago

Some questions they will ask you are troubleshooting questions such as what were to happen if you changed the reagents in the H&E? *You would make sure the xylene and absolute alcohols are not contaminated with water and make sure the hematoxylin and eosin dyes are changed at least once a month--then you would run a control and check the slide using the microscope to make sure there is no bubbling and light/too dark staining*

"Where do you see yourself five years from now?" - I personally do not want to be an HT forever but of course you don't want to say that in the interview lol. Just say you hope to learn the responsibilities and duties of a supervisor so you can grow as an HT. Also, you would want to mention that continuing education is important to you so you can keep up as far as histology goes. I would say something about learning more as an HT so you can eventually become a histotechnologist in the near future. You plan on studying more so you can become an HTL. Just let them know youre interested in the histology field and curious about it. When I went to my rotations during my HT program I asked doctors to tell me what exactly do they look for in different tissues during their microscopic examination.

They will ask how well you work with others. They will ask you what problems you have encountered in the lab and what you have done to solve the problem. You want to be honest so don't try to sound unrealistic like you're the perfect employee. Be humble and be yourself! You don't want to annoy the interviewer saying you're the best because they might think you're cocky. Just say you're a well rounded person, very honest and open minded and you don't judge others.

Other questions they might ask you is how many blocks can you cut and embed per hour?Do you have any basic computer skills? How do you feel about working on holidays/weekends/on call? Are you willing to take a midnight position at times (like 8PM-3AM hours, 1AM-8AM, etc).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.