Agencies paying $7.50 hr SLAVE WAGES!!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (23)

pjavia82

53 months ago

I am currently a 27 year old HHA/PCA living in the BRONX NY. I've been a HHA for the past 3yrs ALL of the AGENCIES PAY the SAME, STARTING @ 7.50 and NO more than $10.00 per hour and TEN is RARE!! Those companies hire sometimes every 6 months I've give ENEMAS, to a 207lb bed bound pt, dealt with everything from BED BUGS in the REDISENCE HOME that the AGENCY knew about but didn't even bother to tell me b/c of CONFIDENTIALLY CLAUSE, IRATE SPOUES, DANGROUS NEBIGHORHOODS and MUCH MORE yet and still I'm in charge of someone's LIFE but get paid as much as a FASTFOOD WORKER!! Don't get me wrong I love my job, knowing that I am able to help someone that really needs me helps to take the edge off, you get attached to the clients if your doing your job right. I even had some clients that would let me leave 1/2 day and still sign my time sheets b/c of the fact that they know the pay sucks!! And sometimes we don't even get paid on time but the COORDNAIORS get theirs on time while we have to wait I am OUTRAGED about this situation and something has got to be done about this, the agencies tell us in orientation your at the front lines the first line of defense and we are but our wages are more towards the back of the line!! I hope somebody reads this!! I mean has there ever been a STRIKE?? HHA positions are up in NYC b/c its a guaranteed job and the agencies take advantage of that Something needs to be done. Maybe we can start petition or something. If anyone out there is reading this PLEASE RESPOND!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bronxfuturenurse in Bronx, New York

53 months ago

i just came back from an open house for HHA and I didnt know the pay was that low. I guess they figure since everyone needs a job its not their concern to pay what we deserve. I have an interview next week for an HHA position, but I see what your saying and agree that something should be done. The amount of work HHA's do its only fair to get paid way more than minimum wage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

mikyl D in Bronx, New York

50 months ago

Wow my agency pays 7.25 and I been with them for almost a year NO RAISE so i am ready to leave.Amazinh Home Care... Love working for them but I need my money

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Minnie in Brooklyn, New York

48 months ago

Wow! I thought I was the only one who felt the same way. Look at it this way, don't make it a career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Blacksburg, Virginia

45 months ago

Same in VA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

karyn in Jackson, New Jersey

43 months ago

in NJ the pay starts around $10/hr. today, my 19 yo dd's friend, who is a waitress, saw my paystub and said " wow! i make this much in a day!" sadly, it's true!! so i'm going back to school to do sonography.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DeeDee in Akron, Ohio

42 months ago

Yeah. It's true. I'm really frustrated. I'm a 22 year old and I've been a HHA for 4 years. I've never gotten a pay raise and I've only been with two same agencies in all 4 years of working. I've been trying to save up to take the classes to become a CNA/STNA but I cant even do that because every time I try to save up, they pull my hours away, I end up in debt and then I have to catch up all over again.
In the last 4 years I've actually experienced a pay DROP. I used to make $9 an hour. It dropped to 8.50 and now I make 7.50. Only .25 higher than minimum wage. And with the recent gas prices and all the driving we have to do, its like 1/3 of what I make everyday goes straight to my gas tank. It's like I don't make any money at all. I am fed up, but I cant work up enough hours in the day to get out of this cruddy job.

I totally agree that for being the first line of care (meaning we do most if not all of the work) We work under horrible conditions. We're in charge of peoples lives, yet we get thrown around like we're worthless. I've actually overheard management at my company say that HHA's are a dime a dozen and they wont hesitate to just fire us if need be because they can always get more.

I didn't know what I was getting into when I ventured into this field of healthcare, but I would absolutely NEVER recommend this job to ANYONE. EVER.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mel in Bronx, New York

32 months ago

Albany rcently passed a law that the minimum wage for HHa is suppose to be increased to $9 an hour

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

q in Baltimore, Maryland

30 months ago

Hello,
Everyone it true I ve been a hha for four years as well while going to school for something more.I totally agree as a hha we deal with some much , cookingn cleaning, errands in 100 degree weather
,dealing with dirty homes,nasty personalities,even RACISM doing this job. MY Agency progressive hha paid 7.75 ha that an insult with all the bull I have to put up with. I have always love helping the elderly because you learn a lot from older people life lesson etc its a good feeling job because of this, but the pay to hold anothers person life in my hand and their care should be more then seven bucks. Ladies by the time I by my metro card for work next week and pay my fifty dollar phone bill my check is done. Foeget rent,food and my child there no more money. left till next paroll

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

annoyed in Brooklyn, New York

27 months ago

worse, i work for Central Home care they expected me to work with Two count'em two disabled patients for $9 an hour. So I guess $4.50 per patient.Bad enough they expect you do everything for them. like pick them up with NO hoyerlift. my back has never been the same. But they don't even appreciate it, they tell you do it, it your job that's what you are getting paid for. Paid what? $9 to deal with two disabled patients who are constantly disrespecting you while you do everything for them: while compromising your health ( the last aide died of a heart attack: i know this stressful environment& company's crappy health ins. contributed to her death) when you complain about this case. My supervisor in charge ask what do we want from them. you guys are well paid.Really??? $9 an hr for 2 patients. $ 4.50 per patient Is well paid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Yvette Greene in Bronx, New York

24 months ago

You need to report that agency for that

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Miss Lizzie in Somewhere

23 months ago

DeeDee in Akron, Ohio said: Yeah. It's true. I'm really frustrated. I'm a 22 year old and I've been a HHA for 4 years. I've never gotten a pay raise and I've only been with two same agencies in all 4 years of working. I've been trying to save up to take the classes to become a CNA /STNA but I cant even do that because every time I try to save up, they pull my hours away, I end up in debt and then I have to catch up all over again.
In the last 4 years I've actually experienced a pay DROP. I used to make $9 an hour. It dropped to 8.50 and now I make 7.50. Only .25 higher than minimum wage. And with the recent gas prices and all the driving we have to do, its like 1/3 of what I make everyday goes straight to my gas tank. It's like I don't make any money at all. I am fed up, but I cant work up enough hours in the day to get out of this cruddy job.

I totally agree that for being the first line of care (meaning we do most if not all of the work) We work under horrible conditions. We're in charge of peoples lives, yet we get thrown around like we're worthless. I've actually overheard management at my company say that HHA's are a dime a dozen and they wont hesitate to just fire us if need be because they can always get more.

I didn't know what I was getting into when I ventured into this field of healthcare , but I would absolutely NEVER recommend this job to ANYONE. EVER.

You could go private duty. I make about 13 dollars an hour gross pay, but I'm paid on a 1099 so I take home about 9 bucks an hour. You have to find a client before you get your state number. If any of your clients are on the Medicaid waiver program ask them if they would consider you as their aid. It's helpful if you can get another aid to do this with you if your client needs round the clock care. My client has three aids. I'm the second shift aid, there is a day aid, and then a fill in aid. We are all paid by the state of Ohio through Child and Family services.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Miss Lizzie in Somewhere

23 months ago

Continued

You must be responsible and reliable, and be prepared to deal with (lots of) boredom. It can be difficult to be the sole source of care for a client. You can't ever be in a bad mood, you can't be too opinionated about religion or politics, either. It's a struggle for me to bite my tongue at times, but this is the best I can do for a job. I do consider myself lucky to have the position I have, but the taxes are killing me :/ If you have kids or a house the taxes will be a bit easier as you will have more write-offs. I still make more money than I would in a nursing home, however.

This link should help you get started if you are interested in going independent

www.carestar.com/provider-services/ohio-home-care-program

Good luck :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Salcare Home Health Care Services Inc in New York, New York

23 months ago

annoyed in Brooklyn, New York said: worse, i work for Central Home care they expected me to work with Two count'em two disabled patients for $9 an hour. So I guess $4.50 per patient.Bad enough they expect you do everything for them. like pick them up with NO hoyerlift. my back has never been the same. But they don't even appreciate it, they tell you do it, it your job that's what you are getting paid for. Paid what? $9 to deal with two disabled patients who are constantly disrespecting you while you do everything for them: while compromising your health ( the last aide died of a heart attack: i know this stressful environment& company's crappy health ins. contributed to her death) when you complain about this case. My supervisor in charge ask what do we want from them. you guys are well paid.Really??? $9 an hr for 2 patients. $ 4.50 per patient Is well paid.

You should be paid an enhanced rate of at least $13.00 an hour. The agency is billing for both clients so you should be paid an enhanced rate as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jamie C in Ridgewood, New York

23 months ago

Does anyone know what 1st Care of NY currently pays per hour?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

pjavia82 in Bronx, New York

16 months ago

Even the fast food workers are marching for more pay ay least $15.00 hr yet we are in charge of peoples lives and get paid just above minimum wage!! What's wrong with this picture??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jocelyn in Brooklyn, New York

15 months ago

We should be marching too! and more!! it's true people NEED us to take care of them. I am part of a group of healthcare workers and other workers who make low wages but whose job it is to make sure people survive, get educated, and get taken care of. We are sick of it too!! We are all volunteer and want to meet other workers who want to unite together. We just wrote this article about how according to statistics home health workers are the future of health care in general....it means we have to get ourselves together as much as the bosses and agency lobbies! florencejohnstoncollective.wordpress.com/2013/09/24/home-health-aides-the-future-of-health-care-and-the-future-of-struggle/

Home Health Aides: The Future of Health Care and the Future of Struggle

With the recent hospital closures and cuts, many of us are wondering what is the future of health care in the U.S.? Many are arguing that the site for care is shifting from state-funded institutions that service all of society to a two-tiered system of health care: a top tier of private clinics and specialists who care for the rich, and bottom tier of low-paid workers who care for the poor in the home. Since most of us are workers, we can look forward to the latter.

The Department of Labor has noticed this trend, noting that home health aides (HHAs) are expected to have the fastest job growth of any sector in through 2020. However, just because there are more jobs in this sector does not mean those jobs will be filled, especially considering the horrendous working conditions HHAs find themselves in.

New York’s average HHA wage is only $10.21/hr, which is hardly enough to live on. On top of this, HHAs are expected to work long hours (10, 12, and 14 hour shifts or more!), and are not usually offered overtime or benefits. (finish reading here: florencejohnstoncollective.wordpress.com/2013/09/24/home-health-aides-the-future-of-health-c

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

JS in Bethesda, Maryland

15 months ago

pjavia82 said: I am currently a 27 year old HHA/PCA living in the BRONX NY. I've been a HHA for the past 3yrs ALL of the AGENCIES PAY the SAME, STARTING @ 7.50 and NO more than $10.00 per hour and TEN is RARE!! Those companies hire sometimes every 6 months I've give ENEMAS, to a 207lb bed bound pt, dealt with everything from BED BUGS in the REDISENCE HOME that the AGENCY knew about but didn't even bother to tell me b/c of CONFIDENTIALLY CLAUSE, IRATE SPOUES, DANGROUS NEBIGHORHOODS and MUCH MORE yet and still I'm in charge of someone's LIFE but get paid as much as a FASTFOOD WORKER!! Don't get me wrong I love my job, knowing that I am able to help someone that really needs me helps to take the edge off, you get attached to the clients if your doing your job right. I even had some clients that would let me leave 1/2 day and still sign my time sheets b/c of the fact that they know the pay sucks!! And sometimes we don't even get paid on time but the COORDNAIORS get theirs on time while we have to wait I am OUTRAGED about this situation and something has got to be done about this, the agencies tell us in orientation your at the front lines the first line of defense and we are but our wages are more towards the back of the line!! I hope somebody reads this!! I mean has there ever been a STRIKE?? HHA positions are up in NYC b/c its a guaranteed job and the agencies take advantage of that Something needs to be done. Maybe we can start petition or something. If anyone out there is reading this PLEASE RESPOND!!

Well, don't work for that agency then. Why anyone does? Are they forcing you to?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

pjavia82 in Brooklyn, New York

15 months ago

JS in Bethesda, Maryland said: Well, don't work for that agency then. Why anyone does? Are they forcing you to?

No but my bills are!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JS in Bethesda, Maryland

14 months ago

pjavia82 in Brooklyn, New York said: No but my bills are!!

Who are you blaming then?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Salcare Home Health Care Services Inc in New York, New York

14 months ago

pjavia82 in Brooklyn, New York said: No but my bills are!!

See the home health wage parity law. You should be making MORE than minimum wage! It's the law in New York State! www.health.ny.gov/facilities/long_term_care/2012-01-20_worker_parity_faqs.htm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Miss Lizzie in Somewhere

14 months ago

The agencies are probably keeping that $3.10 difference. Can't the SEIU help you guys get that money you are due?

Honestly, I don't see how you folks in NYC get by on those low wages. I'm barely getting by on 25K in my Midwest small town.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Miss Lizzie in Somewhere

14 months ago

You all should become independent.

I am paid by the state I live in to provide home care through a state run agency, in my case it is a branch of Child and Family Services. Try this link, I think it is the same program as my state.

www.nyc.gov/html/hra/html/services/care_at_home_program.shtml

You want to work with people on your state's Medicaid waiver program. In my state you become an independent contractor, which means you are responsible for your own taxes because you are paid on a 1099 tax form rather than a W2. You also have to find your own client. I poached mine from the agency I used to work for. The agencies will try to scare you into thinking they will sue you for doing this, but that is a bunch of crap, they can't legally do anything.

Check it out, I am much happier working this way than thru the agencies...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.