Hiring HHA to care for grand parents, what is a fair wage?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Andrew3T in Hot springs, Arkansas

41 months ago

Grand parents are in their mid 80's, both active but grandma has Alzheimer's. Looking for an HHA to assist with care of grandma. Grandpa has beginnings of CHF, and has been primary care giver. Have interviewed a local private HHA with great experience, but concerned about the cost. $10/hr for one 12 hour paid shift, she is willing to stay in he home 24/7. Suddenly a $3600 per month expense for my grand parents.

What do you professionals think? Do agencies providing 24/7 coverage scale the costs for the clients? I am all for paying some one a reasonable wage, but I also don't want to bankrupt the grandparents. Biggest service they are receiving is piece of mind if something should happen to grandpa someone will be there to help grandma. Thanks in advance

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

ilene lang in New York, New York

40 months ago

well im a home health aide and i always fall in love with my patient i took care my mom and dad till the end and i gave them the best care for ninteen years my agencey always gives me husband and wife cases you have to have patient to be a excellent hha and the cost is high but if the hha has a heart and love the elderly like i do the hha would work out a fair wages

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MarciaW in Wayne, Pennsylvania

32 months ago

You are better off finding someone on your own, place ads in churches, sr. care centers. You can hire someone privately for a lot less. Many good CNAs are disgusted with agencies. You would have no trouble finding someone--

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.