Start a Union for Home Health Aides

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

angie500 in Cincinnati, Ohio

67 months ago

I would like to form a Union for all home health aides in Cincinnati, Ohio.The Agency in Cincinnati do not pay aides enought money per hr, they even want you to run errand for their
cleints,and will not pay you gas milages. Agency get pay about
25.00 dollars an hour,and most agency pay about 9.00.dollars an
hour. Please help me, and yourselp we need better wages.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bob m in Cincinnati, Ohio

63 months ago

the average rate paid to aides is correct, about 9 dollars an hour, but the average rate charged is closer to 18/hr. All a union would accomplish is take power away form clients who use the service and give it to unions and the federal mediators. Aides would be out the dues but probably not get an hourly raise. It is quite possibel the hours available to work woudl decline as well. California has many unionized aides. The union aides are making less per hour than the average non union aide, and the non unionnized aides tend to have better benefit packages as well.
Unions are not want aides need, they just need to find a great agency to work for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

angie 500 in Cincinnati, Ohio

63 months ago

Can you give me, the name of just one agency in Cincinnati.
Home Health Aide sould make about 10 an hour. The Owner of
these large compaies are making millons of dollars ,and paying
aids penning. There no such thing as a great agency. For peoples
in Cincinnati, Ohio please donot be fool by the COLOA program
these peoples make you think that being an aid is a great job
and that you will be making good money. They will not tell you
the down side,such as going in a cleint home, and it a mess
some cleint may have bedbugs,the list goes on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

angie 500 in Cincinnati, Ohio

63 months ago

bob m in Cincinnati, Ohio said: the average rate paid to aides is correct, about 9 dollars an hour, but the average rate charged is closer to 18/hr. All a union would accomplish is take power away form clients who use the service and give it to unions and the federal mediators. Aides would be out the dues but probably not get an hourly raise. It is quite possibel the hours available to work woudl decline as well. California has many unionized aides. The union aides are making less per hour than the average non union aide, and the non unionnized aides tend to have better benefit packages as well.
Unions are not want aides need, they just need to find a great agency to work for.

Most Companing donot offer ang benefits,they hirer you as a
parttime employee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dgreen in Schenectady, New York

47 months ago

there are really a few agencies that rarely pay a decent amount for home care workers. we do alot more than the bosses that sit behind the desk telling us what to do. we are more hands on than anyone in the field and yet we get 7.00 8.00 hourly. feel like we deserve more than that. we are the ones keeping people in their homes and independent. even though its not about the money it does play a big part in it because we have to live to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

MARIA in Colorado Springs, Colorado

47 months ago

angie500 in Cincinnati, Ohio said: I would like to form a Union for all home health aides in Cincinnati, Ohio.The Agency in Cincinnati do not pay aides enought money per hr, they even want you to run errand for their

HI DEAR I WOUL LIKE TO LIVE IN THAT STATED. TO SUPORT YOU OR TRY TO HELP YOU I THINK IS A GOOD IDEA. HERE WHERE I LIVE IN COLORADO THE MOST MONEY YOU MAKE IS LIKE 13 DLLRS AN HOUR. IN A NURSING HOME AND 9 AN HOUR FOR HOME CARE. THEY PAY SOME MONEY FOR MILES . BUT NOT MUCH.. THANK YOU. MF

COLLEEN in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio

46 months ago

IM A 57 YEAR OLD WOMAN WHO IS A BETTER THAN AVERAGE HOME HEALTH AIDE. IVE BEEN WORKING FOR THE SAME WOMAN FOR THE PAST SEVEN YEARS,WHOS COME WITH ME THROUGH 3 DIFFERINT CO. THE 1ST CO. AFTER WORKING THERE 4 YRS. I ASKED FOR A RAISE. THERE REPLY WAS WE DO NOT PAY MORE THAN 8.50 AN HOUR. THE WOMAN IVE BEEN WORKING FOR ALL THESE YEARS IS 87 YRS. OLD AND HAS STATED SHE WOULD LIKE TO SEE ME BE THERE FOR HER UNTIL THE END. RIGHT NOW MY WAGE IS 9.25 AN HOUR I FEEL I DESERVE BETTER. I WOULD LIKE TO JOIN OR HELP CREATE A UNION IN SUMMIT COUNTY

46 months ago

IM A 57 YEAR OLD WOMAN WHO IS A BETTER THAN AVERAGE HOME HEALTH AIDE. IVE BEEN WORKING FOR THE SAME WOMAN FOR THE PAST SEVEN YEARS,WHOS COME WITH ME THROUGH 3 DIFFERINT CO. THE 1ST CO. AFTER WORKING THERE 4 YRS. I ASKED FOR A RAISE. THERE REPLY WAS WE DO NOT PAY MORE THAN 8.50 AN HOUR. THE WOMAN IVE BEEN WORKING FOR ALL THESE YEARS IS 87 YRS. OLD AND HAS STATED SHE WOULD LIKE TO SEE ME BE THERE FOR HER UNTIL THE END. RIGHT NOW MY WAGE IS 9.25 AN HOUR I FEEL I DESERVE BETTER. I WOULD LIKE TO JOIN OR HELP CREATE A UNION IN SUMMIT COUNTY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

Angie500 in Cincinnati, Ohio

46 months ago

I would lke to Join. I live in Cincinnati, Ohio

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

delhiarey in Huntsville, Alabama

46 months ago

Hi' Yes I do understand,I think it very unfair for agency to paid aid that low mount to help care for people, when they get 18.00 to 25.oo hr their should be a law agaisnt that, when you are doing al the work, and your life in danger to. I can see even get paid 8.00 to 12.00 hr not low than that. I am work on find my own client, I wheather let the client paid then the agency.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hank at The Progressive in East Brunswick, New Jersey

23 months ago

I am a New Jersey-based journalist working on a story for The Progressive -- a national magazine -- on home health aides and the conditions under which they work, their wages, the difficulties of making ends meet and the need for unionization. If anyone is interested in talking with me about these issues, either by phone or by filling out an email questionnaire, please contact me at grassroots@comcast.net.
Thanks
Hank

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

23 months ago

COLLEEN in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio said: IM A 57 YEAR OLD WOMAN WHO IS A BETTER THAN AVERAGE HOME HEALTH AIDE . IVE BEEN WORKING FOR THE SAME WOMAN FOR THE PAST SEVEN YEARS,WHOS COME WITH ME THROUGH 3 DIFFERINT CO. THE 1ST CO. AFTER WORKING THERE 4 YRS. I ASKED FOR A RAISE. THERE REPLY WAS WE DO NOT PAY MORE THAN 8.50 AN HOUR. THE WOMAN IVE BEEN WORKING FOR ALL THESE YEARS IS 87 YRS. OLD AND HAS STATED SHE WOULD LIKE TO SEE ME BE THERE FOR HER UNTIL THE END. RIGHT NOW MY WAGE IS 9.25 AN HOUR I FEEL I DESERVE BETTER. I WOULD LIKE TO JOIN OR HELP CREATE A UNION IN SUMMIT COUNTY

Become a Independent aide where u bill the state for your services .

23 months ago

Become a independent aide where you would billed the state for services .

Bronx10461 in Brooklyn, New York

23 months ago

How can I become a independent aide? I live in NYC.

Thanks

Sacha

23 months ago

Go to you job and family website, see medicaid services, or provider.

Salcare Home Health Care Services Inc in New York, New York

23 months ago

Bronx10461 in Brooklyn, New York said: How can I become a independent aide? I live in NYC.

Thanks

Sacha

Independent aides can work privately for a client and you would have to look for advertisements for private care. Independent aides cannot bill Medicare/Medicaid or insurance companies in New York State. Also, don't forget your certificate can expire if you do not have at least 12 hours in-service as a home health aide by a licensed agency.

23 months ago

Salcare Home Health Care Services Inc in New York, New York said: Independent aides can work privately for a client and you would have to look for advertisements for private care. Independent aides cannot bill Medicare/Medicaid or insurance companies in New York State. Also, don't forget your certificate can expire if you do not have at least 12 hours in-service as a home health aide by a licensed agency.

You are right that why i lived in Cincinnati, Ohio and have my own clients , and will never who 4 a Agency again.

23 months ago

Work for a Agency again.

Salcare Home Health Care Services Inc in New York, New York

23 months ago

angie500 in Cincinnati, Ohio said: Become a Independent aide where u bill the state for your services .

Check with employees who belong to unions already. They will tell you that their pay did not increase because the union takes the difference in dues. One agency I know of was paying their aides $11.00 per hour plus benefits. The aides decided to unionize. After the contract was ratified, the amount dropped to $9.00 per hour. They wanted sick days, vacation days, health benefits and disability. They got it, but they are paying for it, plus the union dues.

So before you think about unionizing, speak to other HHAs who are in a union. THOUSANDS of them are complaining as well.

flc in Elyria, Ohio

17 months ago

COLLEEN in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio said: IM A 57 YEAR OLD WOMAN WHO IS A BETTER THAN AVERAGE HOME HEALTH AIDE . IVE BEEN WORKING FOR THE SAME WOMAN FOR THE PAST SEVEN YEARS,WHOS COME WITH ME THROUGH 3 DIFFERINT CO. THE 1ST CO. AFTER WORKING THERE 4 YRS. I ASKED FOR A RAISE. THERE REPLY WAS WE DO NOT PAY MORE THAN 8.50 AN HOUR. THE WOMAN IVE BEEN WORKING FOR ALL THESE YEARS IS 87 YRS. OLD AND HAS STATED SHE WOULD LIKE TO SEE ME BE THERE FOR HER UNTIL THE END. RIGHT NOW MY WAGE IS 9.25 AN HOUR I FEEL I DESERVE BETTER. I WOULD LIKE TO JOIN OR HELP CREATE A UNION IN SUMMIT COUNTY

Lorain County Also !!!

flc in Elyria, Ohio

17 months ago

Hank at The Progressive in East Brunswick, New Jersey said: I am a New Jersey-based journalist working on a story for The Progressive -- a national magazine -- on home health aides and the conditions under which they work, their wages, the difficulties of making ends meet and the need for unionization. If anyone is interested in talking with me about these issues, either by phone or by filling out an email questionnaire, please contact me at grassroots@ comcast .net.
Thanks
Hank

I've been a Home health aide for 15 years...I'd love to talk to you.

Jocelyn in New York, New York

17 months ago

Some of us want to do this in NYC. Can we talk off list??

Jocelyn in Brooklyn, New York

15 months ago

Hi everyone we are still working on this...I am part of a group called florence johnston collective and we are an all volunteer group of low-wage workers who take care of people. We just wrote this article on the future of HHAs, and we need to fight!!! The companies are well organized and we have to be too!!
See the article here and write us!! or call! florencejohnstoncollective @ gmail . com [take out spaces when sending]: florencejohnstoncollective.wordpress.com/2013/09/24/home-health-aides-the-future-of-health-care-and-the-future-of-struggle/
Last week, President Obama extended minimum wage and overtime protections to HHAs, though these changes will not go into effect until 2015 (an unusual move that is supposed to give clients time to prepare for the shift). Despite when this official policy goes into effect, we know it will only be symbolic. These “protections” will either not be enforced, or will encourage the bosses to cut hours instead of paying overtime. When we are only getting paid $10/hr, we need to work as much as possible just to survive.

Similarly, HHAs in Connecticut have petitioned to unionize with the American Federation of Teachers – Connecticut. While this move may provide some relief in the short term, such as job security, in the long term it will do more harm than good, since HHAs will have to deal a new layer of management. Official union leaders historically police any rank-and-file struggles, smashing anything that the union deems “unreasonable,” “unattainable,” or as threatening the union itself.

JS in Bethesda, Maryland

15 months ago

angie500 in Cincinnati, Ohio said: I would like to form a Union for all home health aides in Cincinnati, Ohio.The Agency in Cincinnati do not pay aides enought money per hr , they even want you to run errand for their

That's inherently baseless charge.
If agency gets $25 an hour (which I don't believe they do, but assuming what you say is correct), why don't you go get the same job yourself, bypassing agency?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.