Sober Living Home

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 82)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

mrsfurlanic in San Jose, California

72 months ago

I am currently a house manager of an SLE (sober living environment) in Santa Cruz county. I love my job very much. I am interested in any feedback from someone who may know what the current approximate pay scale would be for a house manager. I know that free rent is included in most all house managers salary however i'm interested in knowing what the actual paid salary is for other house managers in this area. If anyone has information on this subject please let me know.
Thank you!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No Reply - Report abuse

Scott in San Diego, California

71 months ago

mrsfurlanic in San Jose, California said: I am currently a house manager of an SLE (sober living environment) in Santa Cruz county. I love my job very much. I am interested in any feedback from someone who may know what the current approximate pay scale would be for a house manager. I know that free rent is included in most all house managers salary however i'm interested in knowing what the actual paid salary is for other house managers in this area. If anyone has information on this subject please let me know.
Thank you!!

You should get the free rent plus 10% of the rent collected or around 500 bucks a month depending on the size and the rent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

antocon in Dallas, Texas

57 months ago

I would like to know what are your duties!!!
then tell you if you are paid properly....-:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Toni in San Diego, California

57 months ago

mrsfurlanic in San Jose, California said: I am currently a house manager of an SLE (sober living environment) in Santa Cruz county. I love my job very much. I am interested in any feedback from someone who may know what the current approximate pay scale would be for a house manager. I know that free rent is included in most all house managers salary however i'm interested in knowing what the actual paid salary is for other house managers in this area. If anyone has information on this subject please let me know.
Thank you!!

8 dollars an hour!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Skyhawk in Los Angeles, California

55 months ago

And where do we contact Jeff?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tricia in San Diego, California

54 months ago

My name is Tricia and I am looking for a House Manager position in San Diego. If anyone has any contacts in this area please let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Suzanne in Newbury Park, California

54 months ago

Skyhawk in Los Angeles, California said: Hi Jeff...I just read your post regarding your thoughts about a sober living. I have a great deal of experience with sober living options and have managed them as well. I am also a Substance Abuse Counselor, a certification I'm close to achieving from UCLA.

Mr. Mathews

My name is Suzanne and I am currently enrolling in UCLA Alcohol and Substance abuse counselor certification program for this summer. I would love to pick your brain a bit, as well as ask you a couple questions about a job offer I received for house manager of a sober living.

Let me know if you have the time,
Thanks Suzanne
eight zero five nine zero seven five nine nine six

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rick e in Austin, Texas

53 months ago

hey skyhawk...heading to hollywood for seminar on house managing. would like to share some ideas...rickrodden@hotmail.com

dub72off in Corona, California

53 months ago

I'm letting people know, there is a company in California called Transitional Solutions For Better Living. "transitionalsolutions.info"
They can help you start a sober living home, or a residential treatment center. It's not that expensive and you can make double or triple your investment in your first month after licensing. They give free consultations. Check them out for yourself, and please leave your comment. Let me know what you think.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rick e in Austin, Texas

53 months ago

I'm currently managing two sober houses in Austin, Texas. If you need any ideas or suggestions feel free to contact me via e-mail rickrodden@hotmail.com. Wish you the best of luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

rick e in Austin, Texas

53 months ago

Thank you!!

There are no real standards set yet. I'm shooting for 10% of total revenue collected. I currently manage 2 homes. One pays 10% of collected rent @ 9 clients. Thats is $450/month. The other has 23 clients including me. That offers free single room/bath, cell phone (iphone/fully loaded), gas, and quarterly bonuses. Love my job!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Steve

52 months ago

Thank you!!

Wanted to make a property a sober house ,What does it pay and how is arranged and is it profitable? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tiredoftrying in Mesa, Arizona

52 months ago

Just what is needed. More places peddling the AA snakeoil. Honestly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

rick in Austin, Texas

52 months ago

There are never enough GOOD sober houses. I manage 2 houses in Austin Texas. The profit margin lie between 45% to 50% when at full capacity. If you have not done this type of project before expect a lot learned from trial and error. Marketing is the biggest factor. There are plenty of potential clients. Resources for these clients are essential. If you have any questions feel free to e-mail. rickrodden@hotmail.com Good luck

cyndilu in North Hollywood, California

51 months ago

Tiredoftrying in Mesa, Arizona said: Just what is needed. More places peddling the AA snakeoil. Honestly.

Seriously?If you have a better way, let's hear it. Meanwhile, the spiritual principals that AA encourages (didn't invent them by the way, just utilizes them) are the only concepts that have helped me so I think I'll keep coming back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

I am looking for house manager or p/t house or assistant hse manager position in San Fernando Valley/hollywood/Los Angeles area. Please send any leads my way. I need to work, and would love to do so in an environment where I can give back what was so freely given to me. Thanks. CyndiLu18@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ladieesnapps in Saint Paul, Minnesota

51 months ago

Tiredoftrying in Mesa, Arizona said: Just what is needed. More places peddling the AA snakeoil. Honestly.

Any results of any effort to get and stay sober, 12 step or otherwise, is all about what YOU put into it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

cyndilu18 in North Hollywood, California

51 months ago

Absolutely, but it starts with the guidance of what to do and how to do it. It all works together, it is not snakeoil. It is information.

Ellen in North Las Vegas, Nevada

50 months ago

matt8878 in Framingham, Massachusetts said: i am also a house manager of a sober house in ma, i get half rent because there are two managers in my house but i feel that i do more then the other.

Do you know of any other treatment centers in MA. I am currently a house manager/director of a treatment center in CA. Moving back to MA., but live in the north shore. Any contacts you can give me?? Thanks

50 months ago

To the person leaving CA for MA... how can I apply for the position in CA you are vacating? cyndilu18@yahoo.com Thanks.

Cris in National City, California

50 months ago

Tricia in San Diego, California said: My name is Tricia and I am looking for a House Manager position in San Diego. If anyone has any contacts in this area please let me know.

E-mail me: harmony-sd@cox.net & we can chat. Thanks!

Cris in National City, California

50 months ago

Scott in San Diego, California said: You should get the free rent plus 10% of the rent collected or around 500 bucks a month depending on the size and the rent.

I have been trying to use this compensation model at one of my sober homes for 2 years now, but every time, the Leader refuses to honor his part to deserve the deal, or they start thinking they are worth something else & start short-cutting or stealing before we get to the point of compensation... VERY frustrating to work so hard to help a person reach compensation just to have them unappreciative...
We are now going without a Leader & using House Conscience...

Liam in New York, New York

48 months ago

Did you ever get an answer I am curious?

Thank you!!

Teresa in Los Angeles, California

48 months ago

cyndilu in North Hollywood, California said: I am looking for house manager or p/t house or assistant hse manager position in San Fernando Valley/hollywood/Los Angeles area. Please send any leads my way. I need to work, and would love to do so in an environment where I can give back what was so freely given to me. Thanks. CyndiLu18@yahoo.com

Hi CyndiLu18. There is a position that has just opened at ITHACA HOUSE in Los Angeles. Please see www.ithacahouse.com for photos of the house and contact me for more details on the house manager job.

Rez in Los Angeles, California

48 months ago

Hello CyndiLu18. There is a women's sober living house manager's job that just opened at ITHACA HOUSE in Los Angeles. It is a beautiful house and very well run. Check out the website at www.ithacahouse.com and get in touch with either Roxanne or Teresa if you are still looking for a house manager position. I know that they are eager to fill the position and that it includes a private room. Good luck!

cyndilu18 in Los Angeles, California

48 months ago

Thank you!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cyndilu18 in Los Angeles, California

48 months ago

Teresa,
I saw your posting, I"m logged on remotely. I will check out the website asap. Is your contact info on there? Please advise, and thanks for your posting!

Al in San Diego, California

47 months ago

Tricia in San Diego, California said: My name is Tricia and I am looking for a House Manager position in San Diego. If anyone has any contacts in this area please let me know.

I have a home with 3 rooms available, I am thinking of turning the house into a sover living home. currently attending classes for certifiacaton at city college. let me know if you are interested

Harmony Homes in San Diego, California

47 months ago

Al in San Diego, California said: I have a home with 3 rooms available, I am thinking of turning the house into a sover living home. currently attending classes for certifiacaton at city college. let me know if you are interested

Please contact me. I operate 5 homes in San Diego. I have clients interested in doing a womens home. My e-mail: harmony-sd@cox.net or six-one-nine-eight-two-nine-one-seven-eight-zero. Thanks!

CRIS JUSTIN

Harmony Homes in San Diego, California

47 months ago

I have a client looking to do a women's sober home in San Diego. Please contact me ASAP. harmony-sd@cox.net. Thanks!

rick rodden in Austin, Texas

46 months ago

just wondering how things r going with your new adventure? have experience re: the ins and outs of success. willing 2 share ideas

Joslyn in Encinitas, California

46 months ago

Sober date 7/7/00. Available for management of sober home, female only. free rent, plus 15% of rental fees owner receives from client/tenant. 8 hours daily, flex. Counseling with clients/tenants paid by client/tenant. Quarterly bonus and vehicle provided by owner.

TOAST in Los Angeles, California

45 months ago

I AM LOOOKING INTO STARTING THE FUSION HOUSE FOR STRUGLING ARTIST AND NEED HEL FINDING A LOCATION.

Barry L. in Lake Worth, Florida

44 months ago

Al in San Diego, California said: I have a home with 3 rooms available, I am thinking of turning the house into a sover living home. currently attending classes for certifiacaton at city college. let me know if you are interested[/QUOTE Hello Barry L. 10 years by the grace of god...question, what certifacations would you recomend for me to manage a sober house, I have an offer I am considering, keep comin back!

god

44 months ago

What certifications shou;d I be equiped with? I am considering taking a job running a sober house. I am a Fern House Alumni in West Palm Beach Fl, and have 9 years, I ride with the 3rd tradition and have alot of fun in soberity, I want the best for my residents. The Fern House was a 6 month tough mens program and am proud to be a part of. The landlord of the property is selfish and has no understing if the program or "us" people. He wants to put two men in an 8ft bt 13 ft room for example at $125.00 each! I told him death row inmates have more space. Keep comin back! Barry L.

44 months ago

TOAST in Los Angeles, California said: I AM LOOOKING INTO STARTING THE FUSION HOUSE FOR STRUGLING ARTIST AND NEED HEL FINDING A LOCATION.

What is a Fusion home? What is its prtpose to brain storm and be with like people? artist Im an artist I play drums piano and guitar and I strugle do I qulify? help!

44 months ago

fushion is a comclorant of artists I guess what do I know?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Chico, CA in Gerber, California

44 months ago

Looks like Fern House now charges $50 admittance fee and 1 week rent of $203. If rent is $203/week for ones own room, or $125/week for a shared room, the selfish landlord is not all that selfish, just offering alternatives.

ccpay123 in Spring, Texas

43 months ago

Hi, my name is cp and I am getting ready to start a Men sober living. I was wondering if the house manager need his own private room. Too, I had plan to give 10% of rent collected and pay quarterly bonuss.

Cris Justin in National City, California

43 months ago

ccpay123 in Spring, Texas said: Hi, my name is cp and I am getting ready to start a Men sober living. I was wondering if the house manager need his own private room. Too, I had plan to give 10% of rent collected and pay quarterly bonuss.

My advice is based on 4 years experience owning & operating Sober Livings. In that time, i have learned from many mistakes & had similar thoughts as you may have when planning my first one. Hope I do not offend...

Avoid terms like "Manager", as it implies that they are on payroll, which creates tax liability & may open you to legal liabilities, as a "Manager" is expected to be professionally qualified. Sober Livings are meant to be voluntary sober environments with no staff. In many cases the person will tend to act under inflated aurhority or ego. "House Leader" is more appropriate, as it is intended to be a service commitment. Examples of humility are important.

A private room is nice, but may create a "territorial" attitude. My Leaders share their room, as this is the example of humility that the rest of the house needs to follow. 10% plus bonus is great to shoot for, but it is not easy to fill a house initially. Don't make a commitment that may cause animosity during lean times.

If I can help, feel free email: harmony-sd@cox.net.

Best Wishes!

Cris Justin
Harmony Homes
Sober Living Environments

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

mduncan in Prescott, Arizona

42 months ago

What does it take to start a sober living home in Arizona?

soberuser in Murrieta, California

42 months ago

I am in a House mngr pos. and really enjoy my job. I would do itfor free to help another addict, but life does have it's monetary needs. I would like to open a sober living home, but I need to know if there is any funding for such a project. please feel free to reply. thanks

Pam

42 months ago

I live next to a sober living facility. It is a small house with 5 men living there. They are not maintaining their sobriety and it is the manager that I see drinking and tossing his bottle over the fence. Who would I report this too.......I am not against this type of facility but I think the residents MUST maintain sobriety.

emiller in San Diego, California

42 months ago

Pam said: ..They are not maintaining their sobriety and it is the manager that I see drinking and tossing his bottle over the fence. Who would I report this too..
See if you can contact the owner, and find out what (real) her/his view of this situation is, first. If they are part of a coalition or the Sober Living Network (which I doubt), you can contact them. Otherwise, you can contact local authorities about the littering, and other nuisance factors. (Let the owner know that you're prepared to do this, if things don't change.) Most local governments have codes (parking, etc.) that are often indirectly applied toward sober living houses that are problems in their neighborhoods.

In an ideal world you'd want to talk with the manager himself, but if he's drinking that's a no-go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

ccpay123 in Spring, Texas said: Hi, my name is cp and I am getting ready to start a Men sober living. I was wondering if the house manager need his own private room. Too, I had plan to give 10% of rent collected and pay quarterly bonuss.

Hello ccpay123, just thought I'd dropa line to see how your doing, if there is any thing I can do or advise you on, (not that I'm mt know it all, just another bozo on the bus for 10 years and a fern house Alumni. That is a good place to grab some ideas is google" fern house" and click the link that indicates recovery house west palm beach Fl. Peace

41 months ago

Hello ccpay123 there an old saying, a good artist borrows, a great artist steals! that said, the houses in your area go to there sites, stop in and talk to the manager, we are more that happy to help, that is the crux of the entire program brother, also the fern house (google that) in west palm beach, where I graduated in 02 6 mo prpgram, has a very informative site, drop down the links and get a flavor for what the others are doing, there tel# is on the site, if ya call them and leave a message for Barry they will foward it to me and will be happy to call ya, they dont allow phone numbers exchanged on this forum, keep comin back it works if ya work it! Barry L.

41 months ago

TOAST in Los Angeles, California said: I AM LOOOKING INTO STARTING THE FUSION HOUSE FOR STRUGLING ARTIST AND NEED HEL FINDING A LOCATION.

How did the fusion house turn out brother?

41 months ago

Barry L. in Lake Worth, Florida said: How did the fusion house turn out brother?
How did the fusion house turn out brother?

41 months ago

Im available for anything related to recovery or someone to talk to, don't want your money, also am considering some offers re: managing a soper house in Palm Beach County, Barlitt8@aol.com peace

Third Step in Whittier, California

41 months ago

Nice forum. Just hired a house manager, wanted to see what others were doing.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.