Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

How did you get your start doing housekeeper work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Tina in Collierville, Tennessee

91 months ago

I just went to the local "For Sale by Owner" magazine, picked the areas I wanted to clean for. I called and said, "while your home is for sale, do you need help cleaning". Almost all my house cleaning customers, since 1998, has been as a result of those early calls. FSBO is good because you are dealing with the home owner and not a realter. Then, word of mouth, takes over.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Saby

85 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing housekeeper work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Craigslist.com go to household or labor and post your cleaning add with phone number and what you are willing to clean, do not set a price until you meet with the customer and see what you will be doing. I personally charge $20hr. A 3br 2bath can take me 3hrs. If you have a steam carpet cleaner use it to advertise carpet cleaning at an additional $20per room. Buy the products for the carpet cleaner that works best for pet stains and odor elimator. I love all swiffer products and always, always carry gloves. When your customer sees you with these items they know your serious and will hopefully call on you on a regular basis, preferrably weekly. Thats why I try not to charge too much so I can get consistant work. Good Luck, Saby NY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.