have u ever been convicted of a felony? Should this question still be on applications?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

John in Catonsville, Maryland

48 months ago

Felonies have less to do with getting interviews these days. I do not have any felonies yet I am only able to get the very occasional interview and I have been out of work for over two years.

Not getting interviews these days has more to do with the screwed up economy and depression we are in with millions of qualified people out of work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

TUCAN SAMM in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

48 months ago

TU-SHAY!!!! I DIDNT SEE IT THAT WAY. I GUESS THESE DAYS WERE PRETTY MUCH IN THE SAME BOAT!!! BUT WITH THAT ASIDE I STILL THINK ITS A TAD BIT HARDER FOR A DOOD WITH A FELONY! I MEAN THATS LIKE THE DOUBLE EDGED SWORD! ON ONE END IS THE FELONY, ON THE OTHER IS THE WORST ECON. SINCE THE GREAT DEPRESSION!! OK IN A SITTUATION WHERE THERES ONE JOB TWO APPLICANTS, U ON ONE HAND NO FELONIES BUT LACK THE NEEDED SKILLS FOR THE POSSITION, THEN THERES ME A GUY WITH A FELONY BUT HAS THE NEEDED SKILLS FOR THE POSSITION. IF YOUR ONLY GOING OFF THAT CHECKED BOX WHO,S WALKING AWAY WITH THAT JOB....BEFORE U SAY IT PROBABLY NEITHER ONE OF US!! BUT STILL THATS SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

John in Catonsville, Maryland

48 months ago

That is why I said "less to do..." in my opening statement. It may well be somewhat harder for a felon to get a job, but my resume seems to be winding up in the "circular file" as much as any body else these days. It seems that all either of us can do is look for work while going broke and loosing every *)(*&^^# thing we ever worked hard to get....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

tucan samm in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

48 months ago

ur right about that. good luck and don,t give up

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

smith in Brooklet, Georgia

48 months ago

TUCAN SAMM in Sterling Heights, Michigan said: I,m a former knuckle head who,s turned his life around for the good, but it seems that myself and my family are the only ones who believe me, because every application i,ve filled out seems to find it,s way into the circular file, or at least thats how it feels! I haven,t had one call back yet! and the reason is as soon as an employer see that i,ve checked yes on the felony question it,s basicially a wrap on that job!! That question should be taken off the app and asked at a interview. At least let me get in the door to explain my past and how i,ve changed then decide wheather or not i,m right for the job. I mean it jus seems wrong to let empty words on paper dictate a view of a person. U would not vote for a canidate for president just off of a piece of paper handed to u by someone! U would want to here from this person and see if he/she deserves your vote! so why should it be any different when applying for a job. The average employer is gonna do a backround check anyway so why not let a person explain their sittuation and move forward from there.

say no....on app...say no and if they come back and ask, explain your side of it...how old it is...etc..it isn't a death sentence...lawyer may be in order

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

amy in Midland, Michigan

44 months ago

i myself am a felon for child suport i am having a hard time getting a job no call backs yet so i know what your talking about

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

YorkiePud in Gardendale, Alabama

44 months ago

say no....on app...say no and if they come back and ask, explain your side of it...how old it is...etc..it isn't a death sentence...lawyer may be in order

I wouldn't lie about something like this on an application form. There is no point in hiring a lawyer. In every application, if you say yes to a felony there is always a space to explain the situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ali in Spokane, Washington

40 months ago

HI. My name is Ali Maye, Am lookin for a job. Iam hard worker. I have hotel 2 years experience. and i never comment A felony. if you have job for me please give me
Ali Maye

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

james o in Jackson, Michigan

37 months ago

i agree and feel just what every one is saying i too im a felon and its been hard trying to get a job and no matter how long its ben or how long ago you served the time its like it was yester day or something know what im saying i truley belive that it should be taken off and exp at the enterview god bless good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Richard in Bay City, Michigan

37 months ago

Here Here I am in the same boat I literally have 413 applications in 6 weeks and 2 job interviews which both were over when I told them about being i prison.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

IslandStyle

37 months ago

I think as long as your not a kid toucher, or some other serious crime you should be given equal consideration but lets face it, reality is the only job that will probably hire you is in construction. Sad but today's society seems to think once a criminal always a criminal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ANGELA SIMMONS in Baltimore, Maryland

34 months ago

Richard in Bay City, Michigan said: Here Here I am in the same boat I literally have 413 applications in 6 weeks and 2 job interviews which both were over when I told them about being i prison.

SAME HERE OVER 100 APPLICATIONS 4 INTERVIEWS 7 YEARS EXP STILL NO JOB

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ANGELA SIMMONS in Baltimore, Maryland

34 months ago

SAME HERE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

efowble in Thousand Oaks, California

14 months ago

I am a felon as well with an Assault w/deadly weapon charge w/GBI(great bodily injury) that happened in 1996. I was 25 at the time and hanging around party type people which was my own fault. The incident was self defense against a few bad and dangerous individuals who got crazy and threatened my life along with my family. It was me or them basically. So I stuck up for myself. I did not have a good lawyer who thought to fight for me (couldn't afford a real good one) and he suggested I take a deal for 5 years at 85% or I could get up to 14 years if a jury found me guilty. So I did and did close to 5 years in prison.
At the age of 30 I was out and had no real career background. I ended up deciding to get into aircraft mechanics and take a chance that I will be hired. I got into a school that was good and not expensive and I got my A&P certificate within less than 3 years and got my foot in the door with a company servicing airplanes and was always honest about my felony the whole time. I have since gotten good paying mechanic jobs and have built up for myself some good experience. My resume is pretty good and all true with about 8 years of field experience.
Today, I am unemployed due to lay-offs for the past year and a half. The date is 7/16/2013. And as I have been looking for work again (which has been very hard and depressing like I can't explain), I feel that these new companies I have been applying for have been discriminating against me when it comes to the HAVE YOU EVER BEEN CONVICTED OF A FELONY question. I put yes. I always hope that the application will just ask me HAVE YOU BEEN CONVICTED OF A CRIME IN THE LAST 10 YEARS...because my honest answer to that one is no. Unfortunately, it seems that ALL applications these days ask if you have EVER been convicted. I too feel that this is unfair to ask. You are automatically discriminated against.
I won't tell people to lie about this because lying is never good. Keep being honest. God will reward you for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

coyotoegirl in Springfield, Illinois

10 months ago

felon is a felon ; this IS the way WE are looked at!!! no matter who did what or who just received probation for felony or who went to prison for it !!!! a felon is a felon !!!We bust our ass to make a wrong a right but still can not pay the bills due to NO ONE wants us even if you are an einstein!!!! government needs to wake the f up !!! guilty and prove yourself innocence for the law convicts WHO they want ...while judges who shoot heroin and kill another heroin addict gets no time . while michael jackson doctor only did 3 years for his that death... once again WTF????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Choncie in Peoria, Illinois

8 months ago

It is hard trying to find a job with a felony. I searched all summer then one day I finally got hired. By a guy who had been to prison also. I agree with Thousand oaks keep being honest and keep trying. It wilwill happen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hard times in Kansas City, Missouri

7 months ago

I believe every one should get a second chance when they try hard to live a honest life employers should be able to look up and see how many Application a person puts in trying to find a job.it hard out there give up the job you need help if qualified hire them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.