Job Advice Entering the IT Field

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

morrism35 in Monroe, North Carolina

44 months ago

I need some career advice from you IT Managers. I want to take some classes or study a certification to get into entry level IT. What certification or classes would get me into an IT position the fastest. Ive always done pc tech work. But would like to go into programming or networking. I can't spend a lot of time in college just to enter the field. So getting a 2yr or 4yr degree for now is out of the question.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

EAldama in Phoenix, Arizona

44 months ago

Greetings,
I'm sure that you'll get a wide range of answers. This is because, there are a lot of disciplines within the IT area. So, it depends on your area of interest. For PC techs, A+ Certificaion is usually a good start and fairly easy to obtain. Of course, if you are interested in supporting Macs, then there are certs related to that. In my world, these are considerd to be the minimum certs that employers want. Beyond this are certs for Networking, Security, Server Admin, DBase, and more.
While I do not recommend one provider over another, I suggest that you do a search for Comptia A+ Certification, for an overveiw of what's available. Good luck! E. Aldama

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

morrism35 in Monroe, North Carolina

44 months ago

EAldama in Phoenix, Arizona said: Greetings,
I'm sure that you'll get a wide range of answers. This is because, there are a lot of disciplines within the IT area. So, it depends on your area of interest. For PC techs, A+ Certificaion is usually a good start and fairly easy to obtain. Of course, if you are interested in supporting Macs, then there are certs related to that. In my world, these are considerd to be the minimum certs that employers want. Beyond this are certs for Networking, Security, Server Admin, DBase, and more.
While I do not recommend one provider over another, I suggest that you do a search for Comptia A+ Certification, for an overveiw of what's available. Good luck! E. Aldama

Thanks but what cert or short term core of college classes would get me hired by an IT Manager. I like a wide variety of it disciplines. I just want out of the delivery driver industry and into the IT Field. What areas of IT are starving for help especially at the entry level.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.