Show me the money...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (23)

Host

What are typical industrial electrician salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

Dave B in Edmond, OK

91 months ago

There is one plant in the lawton/ft sill area that pays arond 28 per hr. but normally the wage is from 16 to 18. cost of living is avg. to low in this area,so I guess that is the major factor

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anuj in Winnipeg, Manitoba

86 months ago

How do i start appliying for industrial electrician aprprentice? please let me know i am looking for a company who can take me for training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Electrician1995 in Rockford, Illinois

76 months ago

Here in my part of Northern Illinois some places start as low as 12.xx/hr but most start in the 16.xx/hr range. The last place I was at I started at 13.65/hr in 2004 and I was makeing 18.71/hr when I left there 3 years later. And that was with a Bachelor's Degree in Electronics Engineering. The place I went to started me at 20.16/hr and 6 months later I am at 20.76/hr.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Justen in Valparaiso, Indiana

75 months ago

Go union if you can. 37.30 an hour here for journeyman electricians 45-50 hours a week too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Houston, Texas

75 months ago

Anuj in Winnipeg, Manitoba said: How do i start appliying for industrial electrician aprprentice? please let me know i am looking for a company who can take me for training.

I'm a commericial electrician in houston tx you can go to 601 N. Shepard that's the I.E.C. put in your app. and get hired. Make sure the company you go with pays for school,go to school 1 night a wk.getting about $1.00 raise with evey semester completed.Call the I.E.C. maybe they have a school in your area.<Edited by Host>

***Message from Host***
Please do not post personally identifying information on the public forums. You cannot control the visibility of information on the forums, so please be aware that anyone can read this information.

Indeed Admin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

dave in Winnipeg, Manitoba

74 months ago

the rates in manitoba are 4th is 26.43 an hour 3rd is 24.86 an hour 2nd is 22 1st is 21 journeyman is 29 an hour at this time and most places pay at that rate you could go to the winnipeg free press they pay 35 for journeyman! most companies are around the thirty mark i expect this will be going closer to 35 following the union trends and market depletion for skilled electricains! generally if your doing shift work you can expect about 80 to a 100 grand a year! as an electrician you will be one of the top earners within the plant! to get in though is the tough part there is a course you can take at red river which is a 10 month course that covers everything yoiu will learn in school as an apprentice and gives you credit hours twords your apprenticeship after copleting this course you will be able to challenge you first level test making you a second this is valuable in getting a job but the best way to get in is show that you really want it apply to places like mccain foods in portage la prairie or the winnipeg sun or free press hydro if you have status and just keep beating doors after dropping off a resume phone back every week! be persistant!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cocytus in Fort Wayne, Indiana

74 months ago

Host said: What are typical industrial electrician salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

It depends on where you ar at.
Chicagoland Union or non-union usually top out in the mid $30's per hour.
NYC/NJ Union and some non-union top out at the high $30's and the occasional low $40's.

Most places industrial electricians (w/ PLC experience) are the highest paid skill tradesmen and are paid from the mid $20's to low $30's per hour.

Have you considered contract work?

groups.myspace.com/roadjobs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Houston, Texas

74 months ago

Thanks for the info. I'm a little warm blooded.Don't think Canada is for me,was wondering more about the south U.S.A. Maybe like pasadena,tx or baytown even texas city.If you have any info. On anything in the southeast of Texas let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cocytus in Zaleski, Ohio

74 months ago

There's almost nothing for high-paying work down South , except for offshore the oil/gas fields in Louisiana and Texas.
You could try contract...but the high-paying work is where it's cold.
Everybody wants to live where it's warm...so there's no need to pay that much.

It's up to you...but you got to make hay while the sun's shining.
If it's shining in Canada...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mavis Phiri in Lusaka, Zambia

74 months ago

yes some companies pay very good salaries and different amount from other departments simply because the jo is too damandful

Pitriz in Golden, Colorado

65 months ago

Host said: What are typical industrial electrician salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

I have been in the field for 20 years an electrician with PLC and instrumentation expl and the top elect. make $80-&90 a year. That is with overtime. I have worked both union and non-union and you have to remember with the union subtract the dues so around $2200 a year. Most good companies know to get good elect they have to keep the wages close. Normally it is around 30 hr.
As far as skills either apprentice for 4-5 years or go straight to a good tech school. Either way a good path.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bobdo in Toronto, Ontario

62 months ago

wats up dude
the major factor

paul in Seattle, Washington

58 months ago

Pitriz in Golden, Colorado said: I have been in the field for 20 years an electrician with PLC and instrumentation expl and the top elect. make $80-&90 a year. That is with overtime. I have worked both union and non-union and you have to remember with the union subtract the dues so around $2200 a year. Most good companies know to get good elect they have to keep the wages close. Normally it is around 30 hr.
As far as skills either apprentice for 4-5 years or go straight to a good tech school. Either way a good path.

good advice. I'm a union electrician in Seattle and make about $41/hr. After claiming 1 on my W-2 I take home about $1200/wk for 40 hrs in the pocket. I'm probably biased, but from what I've seen the union out here has a better apprenticeship than any non union shop.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

DC in Louisville, Kentucky

48 months ago

i make 55 an hr as an startup elctrician learn controls learn how lectrical circuit are control

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

logan in Ocoee, Florida

44 months ago

quite interesting to see comments from all over n. america, i'm a union journeyman and work has been tough since 2007. chatanooga has 1500 men on book 2 but they are getting into book 2 every other day ( trevelers). the union apprenticeship " national joint electr.appr. training committee " has been recognized nationally as the most complete electrical training. i was learning about plc's in 1984 as 2nd & 3rd year apprenticeship.

Archeral63 in Noblesville, Indiana

44 months ago

When I was with the UAW in Kokomo, I made $32.91 on days and $36/hr on nights. As an industrial electrician. Now that I am in the Healthcare industry, the pay is 19.31/hr but that is a s a maintenance tech II, when they have an opening for an electrician, I will make close to 25/hr.

Jason Sode in Lawton, Oklahoma

39 months ago

The place I currently work is looking for an NC Tech. Basically it's an Industrial Electrician that only works on CNC's. The company starts you with 2 weeks vacation and we are well compensated for the job we do. I'm a senior NC tech right now and will make a little over 80k this year, but there is some overtime involved. Shoot me an email if you want more info.

39 months ago

Jason Sode in Lawton, Oklahoma said: The place I currently work is looking for an NC Tech. Basically it's an Industrial Electrician that only works on CNC's. The company starts you with 2 weeks vacation and we are well compensated for the job we do. I'm a senior NC tech right now and will make a little over 80k this year, but there is some overtime involved. Shoot me an email if you want more info.

jasonsode@yahoo.com

32 months ago

Jason Sode in Lawton, Oklahoma said: The place I currently work is looking for an NC Tech. Basically it's an Industrial Electrician that only works on CNC's. The company starts you with 2 weeks vacation and we are well compensated for the job we do. I'm a senior NC tech right now and will make a little over 80k this year, but there is some overtime involved. Shoot me an email if you want more info.

Sorry it took me so long to get back on to update but the job has been filled.

hey in Tualatin, Oregon

25 months ago

Justen in Valparaiso, Indiana said: Go union if you can. 37.30 an hour here for journeyman electricians 45-50 hours a week too.

were do you work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

WiseGuy in Avondale, Arizona

23 months ago

Journeymen Elect here in Mid AZ are at around 25-35/hr, some companies are starting to realize the need to pay more because there is a lot of work back East were they are paying in the $40s/hr.

kingelectric in Greeley, Colorado

15 months ago

I currently work in the oilfield on topdrive drilling rigs. I started with a master license and no previous oilfield experience @32.50 60-70 (time and a half after 40) hrs a week and scheduled 31 weeks out of the year which equals 70-80k I would recommend PLC training, AC drive courses and oilfield experience..

I have also contracted at 60/hr as a startup rese/commercial guy but saw oppurtunity in the oilfield with gaining more experience.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.