Entry Level Career Advice

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Azoeth in Englewood, Colorado

42 months ago

I graduated this past May with a BS in Industrial Engineering. I relocated to Colorado for personal reasons and have been struggling to get my foot into jobs for engineering. There isn't a lot of manufacturing other than in Boulder CO and every job posting I see wants 3-5 years of experience minimum. I am looking for advice, whether it be temporary or long term. I want to find a position that can pay the bills, and I have been searching for data entry jobs since I am very good with computers. What other positions can someone with an engineering degree pursue? As for long term, how do I get the experience these companies want? All I have is internship projects that I did with companies, but they were nonprofit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

michael in Waller, Texas

41 months ago

1st advice, apply only with public & private companies, DO Not apply to the Federal Service Sector---it's HORRIBLE, they will cheat you, they will lie to you, and set you back a decade!!

Debbie in Lewisville, Texas

38 months ago

I understand your struggle, it took me nine months to get that first job. I have a BS in IE as well, and ended up working as a quality engineer. I would recommend broadening your search into other areas. You say you have computer experience, any computer drafting? I have a classmate that is working as a Mechanical Engineer (title), but her degree is also IE, she is very good with drafting software.

Your internships count as experience, play up those rolls on your resume and in interviews. You likely worked with a team and developed skills not taught at school.

Process Engineer in Anniston, Alabama

37 months ago

@Azoeth

Currently, there is open Quality Engineer position (Entry) available in Phenix City, AL. If you are interested,then I will gladly deliver your resume to the HR.

phenixcity7@gmail.com

Sammi in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

34 months ago

I have a BS in IE from Taiwan and a year and half of education in master of ISE from Singapore. Last two year I immigranted to US and I have been struggling to find a job which is related to my study. I had a year of material planner experience in Singapore and now for living I am working at very different field like Nursing Home almost two years. I hope I can work in industrial field which is related to my educational background. Any advice or help would be really appreciated! Should I go for school or looking a job in USA? Thanks for suggestions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sammi in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

34 months ago

HI all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.