Getting an industrial maintenance mechanic job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

How did you get your start doing industrial maintenance mechanic work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Chuck Taylor in Sparks, Nevada

78 months ago

I got my start in the US NAvy, where I was a gas turbine mechanic, since then, I've worked in power plants and food manufacturing plants, over the years I developed a wide knowleddge of machinery and equipment. Once you know how to troubleshoot equipment it can be applied anywhere

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

LA Meyer in Gillette, Wyoming

53 months ago

Hired on to sweep floors at a machine shop,showed some interest,and paid attention to what they were saying (you can learn alot from them oldtimers) 20 years later I'm turning wrenches at a new power plant,making damn good money and love'n it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

popeye8404 in Riverside, Missouri

33 months ago

started out in the us navy as a machinist mate then went HVACR school got jobs as stationary/operating engineer at cold storage , hospitals and industrial laundry. worked in manufacuring plants as a electrical/maintenance mechanic and went to welding/fabrication program

killa in Fort Wayne, Indiana

30 months ago

I will be receiving an associates degree in industrial maintence this coming may. I have plenty of factory experience, but none of it is in industrial maintenance. My maintence experience consist of the simple labs I've done, along with the book knowledge that i have obtained while in school. Do i have a chance of getting an entry level job in my field when i graduate ina couple months?? i hope that someone can be some good advice....thanks in advance

killa in Fort Wayne, Indiana

28 months ago

Hello?? Any experienced maintenance mechanics out there? How does a newbie get into this field?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.