Are Installation Technician job opportunities growing or declining?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most Installation Technician opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

donewithcrooks in Michigan

8 months ago

There will always be a need for satellite technicians AKA "cable guys". Even if the economy fails, it is a recession-proof job. The need exists for people to be entertained, hence the flourishing of the Golden Age of Film during the Great Depression. The problem is that most companies are paying less and expecting more. I couldn't take it any longer. You would clean up other people's messes that they left in the past when they did sloppy work. Companies encouraged it, more installs at the cost of quality meant more money. Now we are paying the price. I couldn't deal with being lectured to from management who was part of the sloppy problem as to how to do quality work. I take pride in my work, but I don't like making a laughable wage and being expected to maintain myself with as much dignity as a surgeon. If you don't have a college education, and jobs are hard to come by, get into working as a shelf-stocker at WalMart. At least you will work you way up in a few years and make a living wage. This industry will wear you out. It is so bad that some markets will accept an 80% turnover because it is cheaper to rip employees off than it is to pay a wage that would entice longevity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.