Getting an installer job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Host

How did you get your start doing installer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

pablo prieto jr in Colorado Springs, Colorado

95 months ago

How can i apply for thhis joband where?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Scott Shangler in Blairsville, Georgia

93 months ago

I received my start in installation by working as an apprentice to a local hardwood installer subcontractor. After 6 months I knew the job and buisness very well and started my own Co. I had to build a strong reputation for my work abilities so I concentrated My efforts in quality verses speed. Which paid off in the end, because the expectation for quality was not being met by most local installers. It takes time,time,and more Time to build a reputation with builders and homeowners. Consistancy is Key along with understanding how people think who hire you to do installs.

You must be willing to be competive in pricing or ( bidding ) the Job sometimes less than what others charge to gain the job.

Also be willing to travel to wherever the work is most concentrated.

And last keep at it. Don't give up easily. Work is sometimes inconsistant depending on avalibility, # of installers to amount of work or ups and downs in the market of newhomes ie.construction.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Scott Shangler in Blairsville, Georgia

93 months ago

pablo prieto jr in Colorado Springs, Colorado said: How can i apply for thhis joband where?

join the hardwood floor association it might help you in applying for work ( look for in google search flooring stores like to see that you are active in knowing common pratices in installation. also joblink.com submit a resume and see if people in your local area find out about you there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Denorris Carter in Brookhaven, Mississippi

91 months ago

Steven McD in Marietta, Georgia

90 months ago

Scott, contact me here in Marietta, GA. I want to talk to you about the place in Hiawassee. You know, it's the little Gray cabin with the garage. You can contact me on my 404-60#-#### number. If you don't have it call my office, I still work for the same company, or as E and S in FL.

Scott Shangler in Blairsville, Georgia said: I received my start in installation by working as an apprentice to a local hardwood installer subcontractor. After 6 months I knew the job and buisness very well and started my own Co. I had to build a strong reputation for my work abilities so I concentrated My efforts in quality verses speed. Which paid off in the end, because the expectation for quality was not being met by most local installers. It takes time,time,and more Time to build a reputation with builders and homeowners. Consistancy is Key along with understanding how people think who hire you to do installs.

You must be willing to be competive in pricing or ( bidding ) the Job sometimes less than what others charge to gain the job.

Also be willing to travel to wherever the work is most concentrated.

And last keep at it. Don't give up easily. Work is sometimes inconsistant depending on avalibility, # of installers to amount of work or ups and downs in the market of newhomes ie.construction.

leon longoria in San Antonio, Texas

85 months ago

I started working with my father for 10 years.Till he passaway eveything change.Then last year I went to trade school call N.I.T

Do you need a particular educational background?

no

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.